Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Wife and I are looking at buying a lake lot - 18' at the end of the dock for a really good deal in this area.

It currently has a mobile home on it, but we'd ultimately build a home on it. We're thinking of selling our current home and living there for 4-5 years, in which time I know that we could pay off the price of the lot itself. It's about 5 min from my parents home, so we could go there in case of bad weather.

Not that it's gonna change our (wife's) mind about buying it, but how does that sound to you guys? Would you bite?

Wife and I are looking at buying a lake lot - 18' at the end of the dock for a really good deal in this area.

It currently has a mobile home on it, but we'd ultimately build a home on it. We're thinking of selling our current home and living there for 4-5 years, in which time I know that we could pay off the price of the lot itself. It's about 5 min from my parents home, so we could go there in case of bad weather.

Not that it's gonna change our (wife's) mind about buying it, but how does that sound to you guys? Would you bite?

teachercd will add you to his circle of friends

• Fire 1

I don't follow

I don't follow

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/statuses/user/6483-teachercd/?status_id=34154

I don't follow

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/statuses/user/6483-teachercd/?status_id=34154

Lol. We will have to hold off on the boat for a while. Plans are to keep it as debt free as possible.

What are the markets like, both for re-sale or for renters in the area? I generally advise against such arrangements (I don't get myself into anything I can't get out of in a week), but if the market is strong and you could easily sell it or rent it later, it may be worth the risk.

I do have to admit, it would be an AWESOME place for a child to grow up (although you'd have to get them used to the water/able to swim pretty quick, for safety reasons!)

What are the markets like, both for re-sale or for renters in the area? I generally advise against such arrangements (I don't get myself into anything I can't get out of in a week), but if the market is strong and you could easily sell it or rent it later, it may be worth the risk.

I do have to admit, it would be an AWESOME place for a child to grow up (although you'd have to get them used to the water/able to swim pretty quick, for safety reasons!)

Here's our thoughts - It's a hell of an investment. Very popular lake and the sellers go to church with us and are willing to give us a deal to move to a larger lot (Runs a business out of his home and needs more room for product). I inherited some land with a mobile home that we currently rent out, so we have that bit of income on top of our own, but if something happens were we need to move quickly, we can always go there.

Without going into everything, we're blessed to be able to pay cash for this property, and therefore want to replenish that cash before we build a home there. We are probably going to build something fairly small - 1000 or so sqft cottage (It's not a large lot) and it would allow our friends and family a spot to hang out. Whether we live there or on the land we've inherited will come later on as we finalize the size we want for our family. At the same time, we've discussed buying into the minimalist movement and living there full time.

As far as the child, we've already decided to put a wrought iron style fence between the house and the lake to keep lil man and our dogs in (one dog is a runner).

• Fire 1

Here's our thoughts - It's a hell of an investment. Very popular lake and the sellers go to church with us and are willing to give us a deal to move to a larger lot (Runs a business out of his home and needs more room for product). I inherited some land with a mobile home that we currently rent out, so we have that bit of income on top of our own, but if something happens were we need to move quickly, we can always go there.

Without going into everything, we're blessed to be able to pay cash for this property, and therefore want to replenish that cash before we build a home there. We are probably going to build something fairly small - 1000 or so sqft cottage (It's not a large lot) and it would allow our friends and family a spot to hang out. Whether we live there or on the land we've inherited will come later on as we finalize the size we want for our family. At the same time, we've discussed buying into the minimalist movement and living there full time.

As far as the child, we've already decided to put a wrought iron style fence between the house and the lake to keep lil man and our dogs in (one dog is a runner).

Most reasonable and responsible home purchasing/building decision I've ever heard?

Most reasonable and responsible home purchasing/building decision I've ever heard?

Left this part out - Also selling our current home and getting rid of our current mortgage payment to put that towards savings as well. We try to be responsible in order to leave Griff with a good situation once we're dead.

Left this part out - Also selling our current home and getting rid of our current mortgage payment to put that towards savings as well. We try to be responsible in order to leave Griff with a good situation once we're dead.

Wow. Great thinking. Don't make it TOO nice of a situation or he may start to get ideas... :P