Joseph and Tolbert Arrested

Are some of you guys really arguing that the police shouldn't be investigating and stopping theft?

I think I'm the only one who has said he has a problem with the trap system around campus. And to answer your question, No... The police should definitely investigate and stop theft. However, (personally) I don't agree with trapping and "setting up" college students is the right thing to do. By putting bait bikes around campus it is placing unnecessary temptations for the kids. He shouldn't have taken it but if no bait is there, there is no theft.

The police are there to "protect and serve." Sure the lessons after the theft are taught but placing traps in general isn't really ethical. Yes, they have been doing the same thing for years but that fact doesn't justify anything. I just don't like the concept of their traps because they are essentially aiding in the crime by setting up college kids. It's honestly because they really have nothing else to do and way too many cops on staff for a city like Lincoln.

Sorry....but, what a load of.....

These idiots are breaking the law. Police in large cities do the same with cars to catch people stealing cars. If you don't want to be arrested, keep your friggen hands off of other people's stuff.

It really is a pretty simple concept.

I agree that they should keep their hands to themselves. Again, my frustration is more with the idea of trying to trap a student... they pull these kinds of stunts all the time on campus. At rec, union, library and it's beyond just bikes. Stopping crime is one thing. Enticing people to commit crimes are another.

Are some of you guys really arguing that the police shouldn't be investigating and stopping theft?

I think I'm the only one who has said he has a problem with the trap system around campus. And to answer your question, No... The police should definitely investigate and stop theft. However, (personally) I don't agree with trapping and "setting up" college students is the right thing to do. By putting bait bikes around campus it is placing unnecessary temptations for the kids. He shouldn't have taken it but if no bait is there, there is no theft.

Let me ask you a question... have you ever had anything stolen from you? I have. I have had a $3000 stereo system stolen out of my vehicle, and when I was younger, I had my $400 Haro stolen from in front of my house. 13 years old, I payed for that bike BY MYSELF with a paper route. Its NOT a great feeling knowing something you worked for and payed for was taken from you.

Your being serious? "it is placing unnecessary temptations for the kids", if it wasn't the bait bike, it was some other innocent person's bike being taken. Is this you Bando? Joseph?

I find a kid smoking marijuana more "acceptable" than some stupid thief who likes to take sh#t from hard working people.

• Fire 1

By putting bait bikes around campus it is placing unnecessary temptations for the kids.

. Enticing people to commit crimes are another.

Lol!

Do you also blame obesity on McDonald's? Do you blame the rape victim for wearing a short skirt? Entrapment!

• Fire 1

The police are there to "protect and serve." Sure the lessons after the theft are taught but placing traps in general isn't really ethical. Yes, they have been doing the same thing for years but that fact doesn't justify anything. I just don't like the concept of their traps because they are essentially aiding in the crime by setting up college kids. It's honestly because they really have nothing else to do and way too many cops on staff for a city like Lincoln.

Setting up college kids?

I am sure that most of the people who steal one of those bikes arent doing something illegal for the first time.

If i see a bike on the side of the road by itself, or a car with keys in the car.. i am not going to steal it.

They dont know it is a set up..thy know what they are doing is illegal.

They arent setting good kids up..

Bikes being stolen is a huge issue on UNL's campus.

Let me ask you a question... have you ever had anything stolen from you? I have. I have had a $3000 stereo system stolen out of my vehicle, and when I was younger, I had my $400 Haro stolen from in ffront of my house. 13 years old, I payed for that bike BY MYSELF with a paper route. Its NOT a great feeling knowing something you worked for and payed for was taken from you.

Your being serious? "it is placing unnecessary temptations for the kids", if it wasn't the bait bike, it was some other innocent person's bike being taken. Is this you Bando? Joseph?

I find a kid smoking marijuana more "acceptable" than some stupid thief who likes to take sh#t from hard working people.

Yup had stuff stolen from me. Stuff I even *paid* for. You're making assumptions that the guy was going to steal a bike without question. None of us were there so who's to say that it was only bike on the rack. It was still a wrong move on his part but it makes me wonder whether he would have done it if he wasn't tempted. What's that saying about your trust in people that you assume Joseph would take someone else's bike had the bait bike not been there?

You find a kid who smokes drugs more acceptable than someone who takes a bike? I'm sorry you feel that way.

Setting up college kids?

I am sure that most of the people who steal one of those bikes arent doing something illegal for the first time.

If i see a bike on the side of the road by itself, or a car with keys in the car.. i am not going to steal it.

They dont know it is a set up..thy know what they are doing is illegal.

They arent setting good kids up..

Bikes being stolen is a huge issue on UNL's campus.

Now you're assuming the guy is a habitual criminal because he stole a bike? That's quite an assumption and kind of sad that our society has reached that point.

Based on what you said... are "bad kids" the only ones who are being set up? Does that make anyone who is pulled over from a speed trap a "bad person" or a bad driver? Just some food for thought.

My whole point was to not make rash decisions on the character of people based on this news. Maybe playing a little devil's advocate with the questioning the police and their tricks but it is worth taking on a different view point once in awhile.

Let me ask you a question... have you ever had anything stolen from you? I have. I have had a $3000 stereo system stolen out of my vehicle, and when I was younger, I had my $400 Haro stolen from in ffront of my house. 13 years old, I payed for that bike BY MYSELF with a paper route. Its NOT a great feeling knowing something you worked for and payed for was taken from you.

Yup had stuff stolen from me. Stuff I even *paid* for. You're making assumptions that the guy was going to steal a bike without question. None of us were there so who's to say that it was only bike on the rack. It was still a wrong move on his part but it makes me wonder whether he would have done it if he wasn't tempted. What's that saying about your trust in people that you assume Joseph would take someone else's bike had the bait bike not been there?

You find a kid who smokes drugs more acceptable than someone who takes a bike? I'm sorry you feel that way.

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

Didn't the little thief take the bike without question? Who gives a f#*k if it was or wasn't the only bike? ITS NOT HIS, HE SHOULDN'T TOUCH IT. Simple as that, and I can't believe there are people who think this is even the slightest big OKAY.

As far as me thinking some kid smoking marijuana is more okay that stealing... let me remind you of this... one is legal in some states and soon to be all, while the other ISN'T AND WON'T BE LEGAL EVERRRRR!

• Fire 2

Now you're assuming the guy is a habitual criminal because he stole a bike? That's quite an assumption and kind of sad that our society has reached that point.

Based on what you said... are "bad kids" the only ones who are being set up? Does that make anyone who is pulled over from a speed trap a "bad person" or a bad driver? Just some food for thought.

My whole point was to not make rash decisions on the character of people based on this news. Maybe playing a little devil's advocate with the questioning the police and their tricks but it is worth taking on a different view point once in awhile.

Where did i say that this guy was habitual, i just said i doubt it is the first illegal thing he has done. You dont go from clean to stealing bikes.

And if you get pulled over you are breaking the law... but comparing speeding to stealing a bike is like comparing Nebraska to Florida when talking about a vacation spot....

This isnt a trick.. it is a way to put people on their guard to not do illegal things, just like your little speed trap thing.

Where did i say that this guy was habitual, i just said i doubt it is the first illegal thing he has done. You dont go from clean to stealing bikes.

And if you get pulled over you are breaking the law... but comparing speeding to stealing a bike is like comparing Nebraska to Florida when talking about a vacation spot....

This isnt a trick.. it is a way to put people on their guard to not do illegal things, just like your little speed trap thing.

You said, "I am sure that most of the people who steal one of those bikes aren't doing something illegal for the first time." Therefore that implies that you assume this person has done other crimes before and hence made it a habit.

I'm not comparing the crimes in terms of how offensive they are to ethics/morals, I am simply playing on your words that this person is a bad person because he broke the law. I agree with you that Joseph did break the law, I am simply disagreeing with law enforcement's way of catching this person. Please don't take my words to mean that he is justified to take anything at all, I think it was wrong and he will justifiably receive punishment because of his actions.

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

Didn't the little thief take the bike without question? Who gives a f#*k if it was or wasn't the only bike? ITS NOT HIS, HE SHOULDN'T TOUCH IT. Simple as that, and I can't believe there are people who think this is even the slightest big OKAY.

As far as me thinking some kid smoking marijuana is more okay that stealing... let me remind you of this... one is legal in some states and soon to be all, while the other ISN'T AND WON'T BE LEGAL EVERRRRR!

See above, you're not understanding what I am writing and that is okay. Just read through it and you'll see that I agree, he should not have done it. Not once did I say that theft was okay by any stretch. I apologize if you mistook my frustration with the police tactics as my way of giving Joseph some type of free pass... He'll get his punishment.

Based on that logic, would you support buying alcohol for a ten year old?... No? Just because it could be legal for them in 11 years (or hopefully longer with weed being legal), doesn't justify their actions now.

Based on that logic, would you support buying alcohol for a ten year old?... No? Just because it could be legal for them in 11 years (or hopefully longer with weed being legal), doesn't justify their actions now.

Your comparisons are horrible dude. Frustrated with the police for putting a scare tactic with stealing bikes? Kids keep hearing and falling for bait bikes, its going to put a fear in these kids to do it again. Not only just kids, anyone. Homeless guy walking through the campus, coming across a bike. Your missing what they are doing, turning it into a negative when all it is, is a positive. You call it "entrapment", I call it a good service to help protect my belongings. I should have to be scared of my sh#t getting stolen, nor should you, or anyone.

I lost respect for this kid, just like Bando. Doesn't mean I don't want the best for them, but you can't be upset with ANYONE, besides these boneheads.

Back to your comparison. You bring up buying a 10 YEAR old alcohol. You fail to realize Tolbert is an ADULT, making adult decisions for himself. Marijuana is illegal, and as long as its illegal, it shouldn't be tolerated. The difference between his and Joseph's deal, Tolbert isn't hurting anyone, not even himself. Joseph is STEALING people's sh#t. Neither are right, I am just not as upset about one as much as I am the other.

• Fire 1

Your comparisons are horrible dude. Frustrated with the police for putting a scare tactic with stealing bikes? Kids keep hearing and falling for bait bikes, its going to put a fear in these kids to do it again. Not only just kids, anyone. Homeless guy walking through the campus, coming across a bike. Your missing what they are doing, turning it into a negative when all it is, is a positive. You call it "entrapment", I call it a good service to help protect my belongings. I should have to be scared of my sh#t getting stolen, nor should you, or anyone.

I lost respect for this kid, just like Bando. Doesn't mean I don't want the best for them, but you can't be upset with ANYONE, besides these boneheads.

Back to your comparison. You bring up buying a 10 YEAR old alcohol. You fail to realize Tolbert is an ADULT, making adult decisions for himself. Marijuana is illegal, and as long as its illegal, it shouldn't be tolerated. The difference between his and Joseph's deal, Tolbert isn't hurting anyone, not even himself. Joseph is STEALING people's sh#t. Neither are right, I am just not as upset about one as much as I am the other.

My comparisons are horrible? I would disagree, I simply used your logic senor. It is not all positive, very few people think the crime is stopping by any reasonable amount.

I am upset that they made poor judgments. I do feel for them that their names get publicized as much due to their status as football players but it comes with the territory and they know that.

I didn't fail to realize that he was an "ADULT" at all. You said that marijuana would be legal someday like it is in other states. Again, I used your logic and applied it to a different set of circumstances based on your premise that weed would one day be legalized. I'm not saying that these guys were in the right, they weren't. But we shouldn't rush to judge the entire situation quite yet.

You said, "I am sure that most of the people who steal one of those bikes aren't doing something illegal for the first time." Therefore that implies that you assume this person has done other crimes before and hence made it a habit.

I'm not comparing the crimes in terms of how offensive they are to ethics/morals, I am simply playing on your words that this person is a bad person because he broke the law. I agree with you that Joseph did break the law, I am simply disagreeing with law enforcement's way of catching this person. Please don't take my words to mean that he is justified to take anything at all, I think it was wrong and he will justifiably receive punishment because of his actions.

No.. see you arent listening to what I am saying. Cops arent "tricking" anyone. They are putting a bike on the street to help control bike theft because I that is a huge issue with Lincoln being a college town.

It isnt tricking anyone, is being proactive. Cops run stings all the time if it be with hookers, drugs, bait cars or even speed traps, they do it with one point and that is to create a sense of control so people dont do these things because of fear they might be in a sting.

This isnt tricking anyone, it is them doing there jobs. I am not saying he is a bad person, but he made a bad choice. Imagine if that was your 18 year old kids bike that he just stole?

The smoking weed thing is stupid, but he is only affecting himself... stealing someone elses property hurts the community. I hope they run 50 more of these bike stings.

I am not an idiot. I understand your argument isnt justifying the theft but justifying how he was put in to a situation to steal said bike. I just think you are wrong.. Cops sit on their hands and they will have a lot more work to do in the long run.

Proactive police work vs reactive.

• Fire 4

I didn't fail to realize that he was an "ADULT" at all. You said that marijuana would be legal someday like it is in other states. Again, I used your logic and applied it to a different set of circumstances based on your premise that weed would one day be legalized. I'm not saying that these guys were in the right, they weren't. But we shouldn't rush to judge the entire situation quite yet.

Lets see, you said you used my logic, which you also state that its legal in some states. Now lets go back to your comparison while "using" my logic... which state is it legal to buy a 10 year old alcohol? #kthanks

Rush to judgment? You don't have to be there to know what happened. Someone else steal the bike? Maybe it wasn't Tolbert smoking weed? Nope, both did what was stated and they even stated it. Maybe that was setup too? Come on man, take your blinders off, lay off the police.

• Fire 1

Thank You to all involved you made me laugh I think for the first time in a couple days with the posts in this thread....again thank you!!

Anytime my friend chuckleshuffle

Lets see, you said you used my logic, which you also state that its legal in some states. Now lets go back to your comparison while "using" my logic... which state is it legal to buy a 10 year old alcohol? #kthanks

Rush to judgment? You don't have to be there to know what happened. Someone else steal the bike? Maybe it wasn't Tolbert smoking weed? Nope, both did what was stated and they even stated it. Maybe that was setup too? Come on man, take your blinders off, lay off the police.

I'll give you a point there. You still set your premise up as a time-dependent issue so I played on that and in that sense I was correct. However the fact that weed is legal in other states does nullify the 10 year old fact so you are correct with that in mind.

Wow can you give me the lottery numbers? You're assuming these people are doing exactly as you read in the paper or see on TV. That is quite an assumption. Not saying it isn't how it happened but you know what happens when you assume... you make an ___ outta you and me. My blinders are off, I've learned to be skeptical of media and not jump to conclusions as you have done.

No.. see you arent listening to what I am saying. Cops arent "tricking" anyone. They are putting a bike on the street to help control bike theft because I that is a huge issue with Lincoln being a college town.

It isnt tricking anyone, is being proactive. Cops run stings all the time if it be with hookers, drugs, bait cars or even speed traps, they do it with one point and that is to create a sense of control so people dont do these things because of fear they might be in a sting.

This isnt tricking anyone, it is them doing there jobs. I am not saying he is a bad person, but he made a bad choice. Imagine if that was your 18 year old kids bike that he just stole?

The smoking weed thing is stupid, but he is only affecting himself... stealing someone elses property hurts the community. I hope they run 50 more of these bike stings.

I am not an idiot. I understand your argument isnt justifying the theft but justifying how he was put in to a situation to steal said bike. I just think you are wrong.. Cops sit on their hands and they will have a lot more work to do in the long run.

Proactive police work vs reactive.

I have read what you wrote, I just disagree. Is it truly being proactive? Hate to tell you that bike theft has not gone down so the proactive approach has not made a difference, no matter how much LPD and UNLPD will try to tell you the numbers have gone down... they haven't. Most people don't report the thefts anymore because it was a hassle dealing with the departments and rarely was anything returned.

I was an 18 year old and my bike was stolen... I guess I wasn't as attached to my bike as others are. And you may not think he is a bad person (I applaud you for that) but your words said that you thought he was in fact a bad person because of this one action.

I'm sorry you think I'm wrong. They might have more work for them in the long run by being reactive but how moral is it for them to essentially create criminal acts? Don't tell me that the person was going to do the criminal act regardless... he might have but we get into the assumptions game and no one wins that.

They might have more work for them in the long run by being reactive but how moral is it for them to essentially create criminal acts? Don't tell me that the person was going to do the criminal act regardless... he might have but we get into the assumptions game and no one wins that.

Just please stop with this bull$h!t. How are the police creating criminal acts here?