Thinking about buying a piece.

Not sure if I want to get a revolver or a pistol. They both have their advantages/disadvantages. Thoughts?

My initial thoughts. . .

Revolver 38/44/45

Easier to load/reload ammo

More stopping power.

Pistol 9MM

More bullets with the magazine

I have held both types but I have not fired either one. Thoughts?

As a firearms instructor for our department and not knowing how good of a shooter you are I'm saying the 9mm. The technology behind the round has changed dramatically so the ballistics are MUCH better than they were 10 to 15 years ago. You bring as many rounds as possible to a gun fight and the 9mm isn't as "snappy" as other firearms. With it not being as "snappy" it increases your accuracy on some level. As far as a brand that I would go with? Personally I'd pick a Glock because it's basically indestructible, easy to use, not a pain to clean, and a very simple gun. I'm against revolvers because of their limited number of rounds when the time calls for you to use it. Doesn't matter how big the hole is, it matters where you put the shot. You'll lose accuracy if you've never been in a gun fight and you'll be glad you have those extra rounds. JMO..............

I would be thinking of home defense. If someone breaks into my place in the middle of the night and I want a quick response. REVOLVER!

Out in public/conceal carry . . . It happens . . . Never thought about that scenario. Do I want t carry a piece on me at all time?

Have you considered a sawed-off or short-barreled shotgun? Just the sound of chambering a round will be enough to scare off a lot of intruders. And in an emergency, when nerves are frayed and aim isn't always perfect, you have a much better chance of hitting your target.

Do you know if there's any shooting ranges in your area that rents guns? It's probably ideal to try some out before you purchase. The Glock for example, probably isn't a bad suggestion, but personally I think they're awkward as hell. I've never enjoyed shooting one. It comes down to personal preference.

Do you know if there's any shooting ranges in your area that rents guns? It's probably ideal to try some out before you purchase. The Glock for example, probably isn't a bad suggestion, but personally I think they're awkward as hell. I've never enjoyed shooting one. It comes down to personal preference.

You're right there, I learned on a Glock and still carry a Glock on-duty to this day. I've owned other weapons, but the best thing to do would be to test fit several different weapons, shoot them if you can, read some reviews on those specific weapons and make your choice. Springfield, Sig Sauer, Glock, etc. make some pretty solid guns. Also the suggestion for a shotgun as a home defense weapon is a solid one. OO buck doesn't require a lot of accuracy and the sound of the action of a shotgun is a sound everyone knows. Should send a shock wave up the bad guy's spine! Obviously you can't carry that concealed very easily though. :lol: