What's the biggest reason for Blacks not advancing

Is there anyone in this thread who thinks that the police in Ferguson are handling this situation appropriately? (Serious question. Put it out there.)

From a 30,000 foot view, no. But at street level where there is looting, rioting, and violence and people getting out of control, I doubt anyone would handle the situation perfectly.

Is there anyone in this thread who thinks that the police in Ferguson are handling this situation appropriately? (Serious question. Put it out there.)

From a 30,000 foot view, no. But at street level where there is looting, rioting, and violence and people getting out of control, I doubt anyone would handle the situation perfectly.

I don't think anyone expects perfection. In what universe is their treatment of the press OK? Are they threatened by laptops and cameras? If so, what does that say about their behavior?

Astonishing overreach of power.

All I know is that if there were "protests" in my town that included burning down buildings, looting, Molotov cocktails and the like... I would welcome the tear gas and riot police presence and their actions to quell the violence and not think twice that it was an "overreach of power".

Protests last night were peaceful though. No rioting, looting, burning. I believe the extent of the violence was a single molotov cocktail.

I agree with BigRedBuster. It's infuriating what happened yesterday - I think there are 3-4 reporters who were arrested for no reason and several more who were tear-gassed. Amid the chaos and chaotic reports it's hard to keep track

..and prior protests have not been peaceful. The threat remains and exists because of this, even when a day goes by that a building isn't looted, burned down, etc...

The geared up riot police should show INCREDIBLE restraint when dealing with peaceful protesters. I'm sure they do - even when I see anecdotal evidence they are not.

The threat of violence still exists - even from peaceful protesters, as those who don't wish to remain peaceful will be mixed within them.

When it happens they decide to take action (police), the reports we receive are merely pinhole perspectives and we shouldn't assume to fully grasp what actually unfolded.

---

If you want to protest peacefully :

- you immediately leave the area and go home when the first act of violence is perpetrated by any other "protester". (not everyone does this)

- if you don't leave the area, you are risking being associated with the violence, even if you yourself were never violent.

- by continuing to protest - even peacefully - around the violent protests of others, you are supporting their efforts to commit crimes. (see definition of "accomplice")

I have no problem with 'peaceful' protesters getting gassed ALL DAY LONG, when the police attempts to disperse gatherings are thwarted by stubborn individuals who don't fully understand their part in the violence.

That especially includes reporters who know the risk of being near protests that can turn violent and are more interested in getting the "shot" than accurately reporting the situation and obeying the orders of police.

I don't think anyone expects perfection. In what universe is their treatment of the press OK? Are they threatened by laptops and cameras? If so, what does that say about their behavior?

Yeah. That part I don't get. I guess I would need to hear what orders were given and why. Not saying it would justify anything but I would like to see the reasoning.

Yeah. That part I don't get. I guess I would need to hear what orders were given and why. Not saying it would justify anything but I would like to see the reasoning.

Given their reported behavior, if you're looking for reasoning behind the Ferguson PD actions you're thinking more than they are.

..and prior protests have not been peaceful. The threat remains and exists because of this, even when a day goes by that a building isn't looted, burned down, etc...

The geared up riot police should show INCREDIBLE restraint when dealing with peaceful protesters. I'm sure they do - even when I see anecdotal evidence they are not.

The threat of violence still exists - even from peaceful protesters, as those who don't wish to remain peaceful will be mixed within them.

When it happens they decide to take action (police), the reports we receive are merely pinhole perspectives and we shouldn't assume to fully grasp what actually unfolded.

---

If you want to protest peacefully :

- you immediately leave the area and go home when the first act of violence is perpetrated by any other "protester". (not everyone does this)

- if you don't leave the area, you are risking being associated with the violence, even if you yourself were never violent.

- by continuing to protest - even peacefully - around the violent protests of others, you are supporting their efforts to commit crimes. (see definition of "accomplice")

I have no problem with 'peaceful' protesters getting gassed ALL DAY LONG, when the police attempts to disperse gatherings are thwarted by stubborn individuals who don't fully understand their part in the violence.

That especially includes reporters who know the risk of being near protests that can turn violent and are more interested in getting the "shot" than accurately reporting the situation and obeying the orders of police.

Which makes their actions towards reporters so unbelievable. IF their actions are all justified, then the reporters would help them tell that side of the story.

With their actions towards reporters, I have to believe their actions are not justified.

Which makes their actions towards reporters so unbelievable. IF their actions are all justified, then the reporters would help them tell that side of the story.

With their actions towards reporters, I have to believe their actions are not justified.

Exactly. The way they are reacting to and treating reporters makes me think that their actions haven't been justified from the start and now they're doing everything in their power to prevent anyone from seeing what they are doing now.

Aside from the whole black people are living in a state of oppression--which, they are--this is really a case of just a-hole cops being a$$hole$. Every single one of them should not have a badge anymore.