What's the biggest reason for Blacks not advancing

Here is an article with pics from what appears to be a local paper. Runs the gamut from police armed for battle, another taking cover after being fired at as well as an armed looter, burned out buildings and grieving people. Better pics than I have seen on the national scene as it covers a broader range IMO.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/crime/article/Vandalism-looting-after-vigil-for-Missouri-man-5680580.php#photo-6714357

The threat went out from the group anonymous earlier in the week, and it quickly became clear this was no joke. Part of their message, “We will take every web based asset of your departments and governments offline. That is not a threat, it is a promise.”
As protests and conflict were boiling over in the streets, cyber hackers were tearing into the city’s computers, shutting down email and phones, and releasing personal information about nearly everyone who works for the city.
“Are you worried about your own safety? I’ve had my wife go stay with family, but I’m not going anywhere. ” said Ferguson Mayor James Knowles.

The city’s mayor is one of numerous people to receive threats from all over the country.

A rent-a-cop acted in a stupid, overzealous way, stop the presses! I mean...I dunno, I just think it's sort of silly to build a case for a national conspiracy against blacks with a bunch of anecdotes.

You can find plenty of non-anecdotal data; in fact much of it has been linked in this thread. But nah, we're just here propogating a conspiracy with cherry-picked examples, don't mind us

A rent-a-cop acted in a stupid, overzealous way, stop the presses! I mean...I dunno, I just think it's sort of silly to build a case for a national conspiracy against blacks with a bunch of anecdotes.

You can find plenty of non-anecdotal data; in fact much of it has been linked in this thread. But nah, we're just here propogating a conspiracy with cherry-picked examples, don't mind us

Zero points for reading comprehension to you tonight.

Nobody is building a case on anecdotes. Like I said, we don't have to. The data is damn clear. Not exactly a conspiracy, as you called it. But we can certainly talk about the anecdotes; behind every data point there exists a single anecdote. What you dismissed as a rent-a-cop acting stupid is just that - a rent-a-cop acting stupidly due to some type of racial bias.

Feel free to start posting every example of police brutality against whites though, nobody is stopping you.

Nobody is building a case on anecdotes.

Uh, yes, every time someone posts a story that reinforces their broader narrative, that's exactly what they're doing.

The data is damn clear.

The only "clear" thing in this thread is how desperate certain people, you included, are to pass judgment on a situation before facts are known.

Not exactly a conspiracy, as you called it.

I'm not exactly sure whether you're deliberately misreading what I said, or literally lack the capability.

What you dismissed as a rent-a-cop acting stupid is just that - a rent-a-cop acting stupidly due to some type of racial bias.

What did I just say about your desperation to pass judgment on events without all of the information? Do you have any proof that racial bias was a motive here?

Feel free to start posting every example of police brutality against whites though, nobody is stopping you.

And that's my point that you're vehemently protesting for some reason: anecdotes are a dumb way to make an argument. Give me a few hours and I could link hundreds of articles of police wrongfully shooting/arresting white people, blacks killing whites, and so on, to advance a narrative that whites are oppressed. I'm not going to, because I don't think that's an accurate narrative. A string of anecdotes can be used to say almost anything.
  • Fire 3

*awaiting facts*

My point through the course of the thread has been not trying to figure out exactly what happened with Brown, rather to point out that A) the initial facts are quite damning but regardless of what any later facts will show the fact remains that B) the reaction by the protestors is one charged by racial tension, due to the still-oppressed state of blacks in this nation. That. Is a fact.

the reaction by the protestors is one charged by racial tension, due to the still-oppressed state of blacks in this nation. That. Is a fact.

I think you need to define what you mean by "state of oppression."

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of OPPRESSION
a : unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power
b : something that oppresses especially in being an unjust or excessive exercise of power

This conjures up images of apartheid South Africa and Iraq. The United States is not those places, so you need to be more specific in your language.
Edit- I should clarify: clearly acts of oppression happen in the US. That is not the same as a "state of oppression."

Here are some numbers that would add credence to 'oppression'

• African Americans now constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3 million incarcerated population
  • African Americans are incarcerated at nearly six times the rate of whites
  • Together, African American and Hispanics comprised 58% of all prisoners in 2008, even though African Americans and Hispanics make up approximately one quarter of the US population
  • According to Unlocking America, if African American and Hispanics were incarcerated at the same rates of whites, today's prison and jail populations would decline by approximately 50%
  • One in six black men had been incarcerated as of 2001. If current trends continue, one in three black males born today can expect to spend time in prison during his lifetime
  • 1 in 100 African American women are in prison
  • Nationwide, African-Americans represent 26% of juvenile arrests, 44% of youth who are detained, 46% of the youth who are judicially waived to criminal court, and 58% of the youth admitted to state prisons (Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice).

http://www.naacp.org/pages/criminal-justice-fact-sheet

the reaction by the protestors is one charged by racial tension, due to the still-oppressed state of blacks in this nation. That. Is a fact.

I think you need to define what you mean by "state of oppression."

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of OPPRESSION
a : unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power
b : something that oppresses especially in being an unjust or excessive exercise of power

This conjures up images of apartheid South Africa and Iraq. The United States is not those places, so you need to be more specific in your language.
Edit- I should clarify: clearly acts of oppression happen in the US. That is not the same as a "state of oppression."

Also definitions I found:

• the state of being subject to unjust treatment or control.
synonyms: persecution, abuse, maltreatment, ill-treatment, tyranny, despotism, repression, suppression, subjection, subjugation; More
"the young people in this country have known nothing but oppression"
antonyms: freedom, democracy
  • mental pressure or distress.

Sound familiar?
Regardless, I'd be more than happy to use other words if it makes you feel better, there are plenty of words out there to use.