Marijuana and Football Players

Von Miller still got suspended from the Broncos for smoking weed.

That said, I'd rather them be smoking weed than drinking. Not addictive like alcohol nor can it kill people like alcohol can.

I think that is just a personal opinion. I actually know way more people who smoke on a regular basis, than people that smoke. They are both equally addictive, in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree and I have numerous friends that were marijuana users in their past that would disagree with you too.

And I have friends that are/ were addicted to weed. It certainly can be addictive, not for everyone, but just like booze, a person can be an addict. To say otherwise is not true.

We all have anecdotal evidence of ourselves and our friends who smoke weed, but the actual science is pretty conclusive: marijuana is nowhere near as chemically addictive as alchohol, nor as physically dangerous in both short and long term usage. It has its other issues, and your stoner friends can look really pathetic, but to say otherwise is not true.

This gets into the world of performance inhibiting drugs. There is a long history of legendary athletes who could drink, smoke and screw all night and still bring it on the field the next day. The 1980 Superbowl between the curfew-free Oakland Raiders and Dick Vermeil's highley disciplined Philadelphia Eagles comes to mind.

It's a Don't Ask, Don't Tell situation to me. If you start seeing problems on the field, physical or mental, it becomes an issue. Teammates need to police each other, too. Not on a moral level, but because it's pretty uncool if partying hurts your playing.

• Fire 2

I find discussions like this interesting at this point in history considering my opinion that within the next ten years i think we'll see marijuana legal across the country and cigarretts illegal.

I agree, but I think cigarettes will take longer than 10 years to faze out. I'd guess your prediction will be true in about 25 years.
If cigarettes become illegal in this country it won't be because of our government. Do you know how many taxable dollars the tobacco industry provides.

I find discussions like this interesting at this point in history considering my opinion that within the next ten years i think we'll see marijuana legal across the country and cigarretts illegal.

I agree, but I think cigarettes will take longer than 10 years to faze out. I'd guess your prediction will be true in about 25 years.
If cigarettes become illegal in this country it won't be because of our government. Do you know how many taxable dollars the tobacco industry provides.

Brings in less every year. In 20 years the taxes from tobacco may not be enough to keep it legal. Tobacco may be saved if the personal freedom of smoking is considered more important than the health detriments.

Lol. People who like to call marijuana addictive have never smoked marijuana. It is not medically classified as an addictive substance. There is nothing in marijuana that your brain convinces itself it needs (like cigarettes). Smoke once and tell me you'll be craving it until you get another taste again. You won't.

Seriously? I used to smoke ALL the time. It was harder than hell to quit. Even still, when I am drinking and friends are smoking, it takes everything in me not to smoke. Don't sit here and say its not addicting, because to some people it is. I have another friend who has tried multiple times to quit, he can't. He is someone who is high most of the day, from the time he gets up and when he goes to bed. Same case goes for my little brother. Gambling doesn't have anything in it either (obviously) that convinces your brain it needs it, but its sure addicting to some others. Same goes for soda and a million other things that don't have toxins. If it alters your body in any way, it can be addicting. Your body doesn't need chemicals to get you a high. Your body releases (I don't know the technical term) hormones that give you a high. Like when you get an adrenaline rush. THC is a chemical though, a natural one though.

One reason I don't smoke, is for my daughter, second is because of my job.

Cannabinoid receptors are concentrated in certain areas of the brain associated with thinking, memory, pleasure, coordination and time perception. There are also cannabinoid receptors on nerves in other parts of the body. THC relieves pain, but it doesn't bind to the same receptors in the brain as opioids such as heroine, morphine and other drugs derived from the poppy plant

THC does have a chemical reaction with your body.

http://www.livescience.com/24553-what-is-thc.html

Lol. People who like to call marijuana addictive have never smoked marijuana. It is not medically classified as an addictive substance. There is nothing in marijuana that your brain convinces itself it needs (like cigarettes). Smoke once and tell me you'll be craving it until you get another taste again. You won't.

Seriously? I used to smoke ALL the time. It was harder than hell to quit. Even still, when I am drinking and friends are smoking, it takes everything in me not to smoke. Don't sit here and say its not addicting, because to some people it is. I have another friend who has tried multiple times to quit, he can't. He is someone who is high most of the day, from the time he gets up and when he goes to bed. Same case goes for my little brother. Gambling doesn't have anything in it either (obviously) that convinces your brain it needs it, but its sure addicting to some others. Same goes for soda and a million other things that don't have toxins. If it alters your body in any way, it can be addicting. Your body doesn't need chemicals to get you a high. Your body releases (I don't know the technical term) hormones that give you a high. Like when you get an adrenaline rush. THC is a chemical though, a natural one though.

that sounds more like association/conditioning and habit than a chemical dependency. i think that is what people are getting at.

• Fire 2

that sounds more like association/conditioning and habit than a chemical dependency. i think that is what people are getting at.

It has a chemical reaction to your body, so therefore, to me, its a chemical dependency. I am not against Marijuana, and I wish it was legal, but to say its not addicting like other things, I don't think its true.

Is Marijuana Addictive?

Contrary to common belief, marijuana is addictive. Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana; this number increases among those who start young (to about 17 percent, or 1 in 6) and among people who use marijuana daily (to 25-50 percent).

Long-term marijuana users trying to quit report withdrawal symptoms including irritability, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, anxiety, and drug craving, all of which can make it difficult to abstain. Behavioral interventions, including cognitive-behavioral therapy and motivational incentives (i.e., providing vouchers for goods or services to patients who remain abstinent) have proven to be effective in treating marijuana addiction. Although no medications are currently available, recent discoveries about the workings of the endocannabinoid system offer promise for the development of medications to ease withdrawal, block the intoxicating effects of marijuana, and prevent relapse.

If your social user, not an EVERY day smoker, you won't think its addicting, but if you smoke on a daily basis, then your looking at a different situation.

It has a chemical reaction to your body, so therefore, to me, its a chemical dependency. I am not against Marijuana, and I wish it was legal, but to say its not addicting like other things, I don't think its true.

does not everything have a chemical reaction to your body?

does not everything have a chemical reaction to your body?

Your missing my point. THC is a CHEMICAL. This chemical alters your body. Therefore, can become addictive, especially if your an every day user. Not everyone is the same. There are "alcoholics" out there who can quit drinking and never have a symptom (like myself). I didn't have any symptoms from quitting smoking, but I only smoked for a few years (drank for 10), I just get the urge to smoke more than I do drink, more-so when I am around it.

Cannabinoid receptors are concentrated in certain areas of the brain associated with thinking, memory, pleasure, coordination and time perception. There are also cannabinoid receptors on nerves in other parts of the body. THC relieves pain, but it doesn't bind to the same receptors in the brain as opioids such as heroine, morphine and other drugs derived from the poppy plant

THC does have a chemical reaction with your body.

http://www.livescience.com/24553-what-is-thc.html

So does bacon. Also addictive.

• Fire 1

There are state laws but then again there company/school guidelines. They might not always agree.

I would pick alcohol over marijuana. Marijuana stays in your system longer. If the substance becomes a problem then I would pursue more aggressive testing.

THC (marijuana) stays in your system longer because your body doesn't consider it to be a bad thing. alcohol and the other illegal drugs are out of your system in a few days because your body views it as poison, and as such tries to purge it as quickly as possible. it tries to hold on to THC, which should tell you all that you need to know about how bad they are for you. if we're going on a strictly "how bad is it for you" scale, alcohol is much worse. the only real danger from marijuana is damage to your lungs, and there are ways to ingest THC that no longer require you to smoke it. you shouldn't smoke it and drive around, but you shouldn't after drinking either, which we all know is a common enough occurrence.

AnswerReponse3-2.gif

That's not how bodies work. At all.

Didn't you know cancer is good for the body. Thats why the body holds on to it.

20110916-marijuana-stupid.jpg

Disagree all you want. Both are drugs and therefore, both are addictive.

So is coffee. Also addictive, with worse withdrawal symptoms than marijuana.

so you admit it has withdrawal symptoms.

Cool. That means we both agree.

I'm all for legalizing it...make it controlled like alcohol and tax the crap out of it like Cigarettes imho.

Sure, Husker football also has withdrawal symptoms. We witness it every year around here. :lol:

I agree. I used to smoke weed, not a lot, but a little here and there. To this day, I'll think to myself or say outlound when around friends "man. I'd re all like to smoke a piece right now," just like I Jones for a beer when mowing the yard or grilling out. I think it should be legal, and the only reason why I don't do it now is because it's not worth risking my gig.

Arguing semantics about whether weed is addictive or a habit is silly.

• Fire 1