Children and immigration reform

Originally pushed by a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers as well as by evangelical groups to combat sex trafficking, the bill gave substantial new protections to children entering the country alone who were not from Mexico or Canada by prohibiting them from being quickly sent back to their country of origin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/us/immigrant-surge-rooted-in-law-to-curb-child-trafficking.html

Thanks Obama.

Originally pushed by a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers as well as by evangelical groups to combat sex trafficking, the bill gave substantial new protections to children entering the country alone who were not from Mexico or Canada by prohibiting them from being quickly sent back to their country of origin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/us/immigrant-surge-rooted-in-law-to-curb-child-trafficking.html

Thanks Obama.

Oh you liberals are just trying to blame Bush for everything that Bush did.

Thanks Obama.

To be honest, the issue for me isn't how to process them legally, it's that they got here in the first place.

This entire issue is a human tragedy. It's much more than just "those horrible illegals crossing the border without permission".

I had read an article about how horrible conditions are with violence in countries like Honduras. Interestingly, shortly after that, I was at a restaurant and my waiter ended up being from Honduras. He was around 20 and claims his family came here when he was very young. He told me how horrible it is down there for his relatives still there. Basically, the country is ran by two gangs. Let's say the US is ran by the Crips and Bloods. You wear the wrong color? You're dead. You do slightly the wrong thing and piss someone off??? You're dead.

LINK

Most of these kids coming across aren't Mexican. They are from countries further south where conditions are so bad families are willing to send their children north hoping to actually save their lives. This is exacerbated by false information being filtered down there by human traffickers on how easy the trip is and how wonderful life is once the kids are here.

For a long time, I have been an advocate of putting more military on the Mexican border to ensure the building civil war in Mexico doesn't spill over the border more than it already has. However, with these kids, it is an almost guaranteed death sentence if we either send them back or block them from coming across once they get to the border and leave them in the hands of the drug cartels.

We must start with a major information campaign in the countries these kids are coming from. Families have to have correct information as to what they are sending their kids into. Helping countries like Honduras get control of the violence in their countries might help. Heck, forget about violence in Syria...let's concentrate on something closer to home.

What to do with kids once they are here? We have to speed up the process they go through to figure out who they are and where they are going. If they have family in the US, we must quickly unite them. If they don't, then we must do something with them that is humane and help them get a better start on life. Very small children? Adopt them out to families wanting to adopt. A large number of couples go to countries like Russia, Indonesia, China...etc. to adopt kids. Have them adopt these kids. Older kids? Put them into something like a foster home.

None of this is a perfect fix. I'm sure someone can pick apart problems with my ideas. However, herding them into what are basically concentration camps long term is both wrong and is going to cause more problems down the road.

Sending them back for many is a death sentence.

• Fire 2

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free."

Statue-of-liberty2.jpg

I was just there last week.

I strongly believe if we want to have any affect on this problem we need to be helping to fix the problem in these countries. Here is a paper written about the issues in Honduras.

LINK

It's amazing how much violence goes on in the world due to the drug trade. I once got into a major argument with a stoner who used many illegal drugs. He was complaining about the violence in Mexico and I simply said that by using drugs, you are financing and promoting that violence. Obviously he took offense to my statements because all he was doing is getting stoned. How could he possibly be causing violence?

It's amazing how much violence goes on in the world due to the drug trade. I once got into a major argument with a stoner who used many illegal drugs. He was complaining about the violence in Mexico and I simply said that by using drugs, you are financing and promoting that violence. Obviously he took offense to my statements because all he was doing is getting stoned. How could he possibly be causing violence?

Just one more reason to keep that revenue in the US. But if you're buying MJ (where illegal in the US anyways) you are probably financing the drug violence in central America.

Just one more reason to keep that revenue in the US. But if you're buying MJ (where illegal in the US anyways) you are probably financing the drug violence in central America.

You OK with legalizing cocaine and heroin? It seems like those are the drugs that are the main cause of this violence.

You OK with legalizing cocaine and heroin? It seems like those are the drugs that are the main cause of this violence.

No. (Meth would be in the mix for main causes as well. The crackdown on US meth labs has been pretty successful . . . but that just moved the production south.)

In the lead-up to the referenda in Mexico and Colorado, the Mexican Competitiveness Institute released a study estimating that Mexico’s cartels would lose $1.425 billion if the initiative passed in Colorado and $1.372 billion if Washington voted to legalize. The organization also predicted that drug trafficking revenues would fall 20 to 30 percent, and the Sinaloa cartel, which would be the most affected, would lose up to 50 percent.

But that's a much more severe impact than the one predicted by the Rand Corp., which previously found that cartels would barely feel the pinch from legalization initiatives in the U.S. As Booth reported:

A 2010 Rand Corp. study estimated that legal marijuana use in California, a state that consumes about one-seventh of all the pot smoked in the United States, would cost the cartels 2 to 4 percent of their revenue. So losing consumers in states such as Washington and Colorado that have a smaller population might not affect the cartel bottom line by much.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/11/09/how-marijuana-legalization-will-affect-mexicos-cartels-in-charts/

“Is it hurting the cartels? Yes. The cartels are criminal organizations that were making as much as 35-40 percent of their income from marijuana,” Nelson said, “They aren’t able to move as much cannabis inside the US now.”

https://news.vice.com/article/legal-pot-in-the-us-is-crippling-mexican-cartels

I would vote right now to legalize marijuana. It's the much harder and more destructive drugs I see as a bigger problem.

I find it a very strange position that people in the US are all upset that these kids are coming to the US when it's the US that creates the market for the drugs that creates the violence in their country that causes them to come here to survive.

This entire issue is a human tragedy. It's much more than just "those horrible illegals crossing the border without permission".

I had read an article about how horrible conditions are with violence in countries like Honduras. Interestingly, shortly after that, I was at a restaurant and my waiter ended up being from Honduras. He was around 20 and claims his family came here when he was very young. He told me how horrible it is down there for his relatives still there. Basically, the country is ran by two gangs. Let's say the US is ran by the Crips and Bloods. You wear the wrong color? You're dead. You do slightly the wrong thing and piss someone off??? You're dead.

LINK

Most of these kids coming across aren't Mexican. They are from countries further south where conditions are so bad families are willing to send their children north hoping to actually save their lives. This is exacerbated by false information being filtered down there by human traffickers on how easy the trip is and how wonderful life is once the kids are here.

For a long time, I have been an advocate of putting more military on the Mexican border to ensure the building civil war in Mexico doesn't spill over the border more than it already has. However, with these kids, it is an almost guaranteed death sentence if we either send them back or block them from coming across once they get to the border and leave them in the hands of the drug cartels.

We must start with a major information campaign in the countries these kids are coming from. Families have to have correct information as to what they are sending their kids into. Helping countries like Honduras get control of the violence in their countries might help. Heck, forget about violence in Syria...let's concentrate on something closer to home.

What to do with kids once they are here? We have to speed up the process they go through to figure out who they are and where they are going. If they have family in the US, we must quickly unite them. If they don't, then we must do something with them that is humane and help them get a better start on life. Very small children? Adopt them out to families wanting to adopt. A large number of couples go to countries like Russia, Indonesia, China...etc. to adopt kids. Have them adopt these kids. Older kids? Put them into something like a foster home.

None of this is a perfect fix. I'm sure someone can pick apart problems with my ideas. However, herding them into what are basically concentration camps long term is both wrong and is going to cause more problems down the road.

Sending them back for many is a death sentence.

Very good post, first and foremost...

.But what about the kids that are already here? I'm sick of us having to take care of everyone else, when we can't even take care of our own? Sorry if that makes me sound cold and callous, but that's it. The kids in the inner cities, reservations, they're just as f*cked as the kids coming across the border, but they've taken a back seat to those who are being sent here.