:01 - Because it still eats me up.

The Texas '09 letdown makes us forget about the Virginia Tech '09 letdown a few weeks earlier, a huge game in a tough stadium where the Husker defense dominated the entire game.....

...except for the last two plays where it all fell apart.

Couple cheap calls against the Huskers took touchdowns off the boards in that one, IIRC.

Texas and Va. Tech were real heartbreakers that year, but they were near wins against high ranked opponents, so I guess I prefer them to utter blowouts against marginal opponents.

As much as I hated watching it happen, the :01 call against Texas was the correct call.

And I always thought we got lucky against Missouri in '97, and against FSU in the '93 Orange Bowl.

On the whole never thought the refs had it in for Nebraska. Good calls, bad calls and lucky breaks in every game. Like most teams, we break even over the years.

The Texas '09 letdown makes us forget about the Virginia Tech '09 letdown a few weeks earlier, a huge game in a tough stadium where the Husker defense dominated the entire game.....

...except for the last two plays where it all fell apart.

Couple cheap calls against the Huskers took touchdowns off the boards in that one, IIRC.

Texas and Va. Tech were real heartbreakers that year, but they were near wins against high ranked opponents, so I guess I prefer them to utter blowouts against marginal opponents.

As much as I hated watching it happen, the :01 call against Texas was the correct call.

And I always thought we got lucky against Missouri in '97, and against FSU in the '93 Orange Bowl.

On the whole never thought the refs had it in for Nebraska. Good calls, bad calls and lucky breaks in every game. Like most teams, we break even over the years.

That and having 1st and Goal from the 40
  • Fire 1

Great point. Our defense was stifling for all but two plays in that one, too (VT).

Some painful losses there, but I really thought we were headed in a sharply upward trajectory that season -- especially the way we capped it off (Arizona).

Not really sure what that trajectory is anymore.

Except for these guys:

Officials: Referee: Greg Burks; Umpire: Scott Campbell; Linesman: George Gusman;
Line judge: Kevin Mar; Back judge: Shawn Hochuli; Field judge: Nick Lave;
Side judge: Gene Semko; Scorer: Tom Reber;
somebody did a statistical analysis on them back in 2010

1st and 10 from the 30. Offense somehow has found rhythm. We get another 1st down, and we absolutely control this game.

Instead...

1st down - Double tights I, ISO to Burkhead for 3 yards. Okay....

Why the turtle offense? Why not play action bootleg to catch them off guard? - What did we have to lose?

2nd down - Shotgun, 12 personell. Zone read. Burkead for a yard.

So conservative, and no chance of working.

3rd down - Burkhead for nothing to set up Alex.

This is why we lost. A 'give up' play to set up a guy that was money from anywhere inside the 40. Nothing downfield, no play action....

I know we were playing for a fg at that point, but what was the point of not even trying for the sticks? If we get that first down, we force Texas to call timeouts, and we still run a lot more time off the clock. This, to me, was the difference in the game.

• Fire 3

That 'turtle' offense was Bo's maxim from the ISU debacle onwards, something he didn't loosen the reins on until bowl preparations. Also, you don't call a zone read thinking there's no chance of that working -- you call it expecting, or hoping, to pick up at least a few safe yards, get us into 3rd and short if not move the sticks. Doesn't always work. In that situation, on that stage with an anemic passing game and a QB whose elbow had been causing him to throw erratic balls all year, I can completely understand playing for the field goal. Bo, and anybody watching that game, probably had much more faith in the Nebraska defense.

Who knew we'd get a kickoff out of bounds and follow that up with a 15-yard personal foul?

If we call the pass play and it doesn't work or gets intercepted, you know what that is. That's getting too cute, leaving too much time on the clock, and with our passing game against that defense?! At least :01 wouldn't have been an issue.

Our offense did the right thing there IMO, they just could've done a little bit more and iced it.

That 'turtle' offense was Bo's maxim from the ISU debacle onwards, something he didn't loosen the reins on until bowl preparations. Also, you don't call a zone read thinking there's no chance of that working -- you call it expecting, or hoping, to pick up at least a few safe yards, get us into 3rd and short if not move the sticks. Doesn't always work. In that situation, on that stage with an anemic passing game and a QB whose elbow had been causing him to throw erratic balls all year, I can completely understand playing for the field goal. Bo, and anybody watching that game, probably had much more faith in the Nebraska defense.

Who knew we'd get a kickoff out of bounds and follow that up with a 15-yard personal foul?

If we call the pass play and it doesn't work or gets intercepted, you know what that is. That's getting too cute, leaving too much time on the clock, and with our passing game against that defense?! At least :01 wouldn't have been an issue.

Our offense did the right thing there IMO, they just could've done a little bit more and iced it.

I see what you're saying, but Zac was throwing pretty good on that drive. Play action bootleg on first down - if it's not there, throw it away. At least try and let it all hang out. Like a 4th and 1 on your own 29. Go for it, roll left, and hit a wide open end to ice the game...