Favorite forgotten moments from the past few seasons

Matt O'Hanlon's 3 picks against OU in 2009. He was drug over the coals for the VT game, when it wasn't truly his fault. He had an amazing finish to the season and he a phenomenal game against OU.

I was at the OU game . . . and also at the 2009 Holiday Bowl. Matty O was a beast in both games. He was making tackles in space like an All-American.

That was probably the high point of the Pelini Era. (To date, at least.)

The "steal" from Braxton Miller by Lavonte David...that was crazy and a huge turning point in that game.

I'll also mention something about that game.

I was sitting by this jack azz who was one of those guys who constantly complains about everything. Nebraska was coming back in a huge game and the crowd was starting to really get into it. At one point, I think it was third down and TM made a key pass to a WR crossing the middle to keep the drive alive. The place goes nuts. I look over at this jack azz and all he could say in a pissy attitude...."he threw behind the receiver again".

When we ultimately came back to win it, I laughed in the face of that jack azz because the crowd was going nuts and all he could do was sit and sulk about everything wrong.

I will never understand fans like that and at that point, I was happy he was pissed.

I'll throw in Abdullah's will to get a first down in last year's NW game, thus keeping the final drive alive and setting up a Hail Mary shot.

Was pretty blown away by that dude (as usual).

People have forgotten this? Seriously? How? I thought this was for favorite forgotten moments. That play will NEVER leave me.

It is the set-up play. We don't win without it. But everyone always talks about the hail mary. That is the end all be all. I haven't heard the average fan even mention AA's first down conversion.

Mizzoue 2010 came to my mind as well but for another reason. Anybody remember how they got the ball to start both halves and couldnt really do much about it.

I don't remember that happening at Mizzou, but I do remember that happening against Oklahoma St. To my understanding, this can happen if one of the captains says the wrong thing. Like, if we win the toss and instead of saying we "defer" to the second half, we say something like we'll kick off or something to that nature, then we've used our option to choose right there for the second half.

It's dumb, it's confusing. Honestly, whoever gets the ball to start the game should be required to kick off to start the second half. But, I guess a little word mix up can screw you.

Don't remember the weather but occasionally the coach would rather have the wind in a particular quarter than the ball to start. For example, if you have a decent lead and the wind is strong, you can choose to defend a goal to make the other team have to go into the wind in the fourth quarter.

Going with this mix-up though, you wouldn't have the choice. Once the second half comes around and if you deferred to the second half your team has to take the ball. If you mixed up at the beginning and kicked of the ball then you'd have to kick off the ball again in the 2nd half.

Plus, I'm not sure what coach wouldn't want to take the ball. I'd take the chance for points every time over wind in the fourth quarter.

No. Deferring to the second half simply means you have the first option in the second half. You can still choose to defend a goal (allowing the other team to get the ball first) even if you kicked of to start the game.

I'll throw in Abdullah's will to get a first down in last year's NW game, thus keeping the final drive alive and setting up a Hail Mary shot.

People have forgotten this? Seriously? How? I thought this was for favorite forgotten moments. That play will NEVER leave me.

That play was huge for us. I close my eyes and still see it. Thing of beauty.

Personally, my favorite was that Arizona game in the Holiday bowl. Suh's final year, our D was lights out.

Matt O'Hanlon's 3 picks against OU in 2009. He was drug over the coals for the VT game, when it wasn't truly his fault. He had an amazing finish to the season and he a phenomenal game against OU.

I was at the OU game . . . and also at the 2009 Holiday Bowl. Matty O was a beast in both games. He was making tackles in space like an All-American.

It's really too bad that most people's memory of O'Hanlon is blowing that coverage against Virginia Tech in 2009 (I think that loss galls me more than any other in the Pelini Era, and I'm not sure why, it wasn't that important of a game). Anyway, that's a damned shame because O'Hanlon had a hell of a senior season after that game, the OU one being the crown jewel.

It's really too bad that most people's memory of O'Hanlon is blowing that coverage against Virginia Tech in 2009 (I think that loss galls me more than any other in the Pelini Era, and I'm not sure why, it wasn't that important of a game). Anyway, that's a damned shame because O'Hanlon had a hell of a senior season after that game, the OU one being the crown jewel.

didn't we have to punt on 4th and goal late in the Virginia Tech game?

Mizzoue 2010 came to my mind as well but for another reason. Anybody remember how they got the ball to start both halves and couldnt really do much about it.

I don't remember that happening at Mizzou, but I do remember that happening against Oklahoma St. To my understanding, this can happen if one of the captains says the wrong thing. Like, if we win the toss and instead of saying we "defer" to the second half, we say something like we'll kick off or something to that nature, then we've used our option to choose right there for the second half.

It's dumb, it's confusing. Honestly, whoever gets the ball to start the game should be required to kick off to start the second half. But, I guess a little word mix up can screw you.

Don't remember the weather but occasionally the coach would rather have the wind in a particular quarter than the ball to start. For example, if you have a decent lead and the wind is strong, you can choose to defend a goal to make the other team have to go into the wind in the fourth quarter.

Going with this mix-up though, you wouldn't have the choice. Once the second half comes around and if you deferred to the second half your team has to take the ball. If you mixed up at the beginning and kicked of the ball then you'd have to kick off the ball again in the 2nd half.

Plus, I'm not sure what coach wouldn't want to take the ball. I'd take the chance for points every time over wind in the fourth quarter.

No. Deferring to the second half simply means you have the first option in the second half. You can still choose to defend a goal (allowing the other team to get the ball first) even if you kicked of to start the game.

Gotcha. I still don't think a coach would sacrifice the chance for points all in the name of wind direction in the fourth quarter, but that's also why I'm not a coach.

Yeah, I don't remember the specifics, but we had the ball in a goal to go situation, had apparently put the game away with a touchdown pass, which was called back by holding....followed by more penalties and I think maybe a sack. How we managed to knock ourselves out of Alex Henery's range, I do not know. That's probably what infuriates me about that game. We had no business at all losing.

Yeah, I don't remember the specifics, but we had the ball in a goal to go situation, had apparently put the game away with a touchdown pass, which was called back by holding....followed by more penalties and I think maybe a sack. How we managed to knock ourselves out of Alex Henery's range, I do not know. That's probably what infuriates me about that game. We had no business at all losing.

Got down to the 6. Two holdings, two false starts, 2 incomplete passes, and a 1 yard run by Zac Lee before we punted from the 37

It is the set-up play. We don't win without it. But everyone always talks about the hail mary. That is the end all be all. I haven't heard the average fan even mention AA's first down conversion.

Agree. I remember talking all that week about how Abdullah's incredible will made the miracle possible. But I forgot about it until just now. I'm guessing most fans are the same way.

Not to take away from Kellogg and Westerkamp, but there's always a little luck involved on a Hail Mary. No luck involved in dragging defenders to the sticks.