New Trophy Game vs. Wisconsin

Rivalry brewing with Wisky? Please tell me you jest. We have done nothing to garner a rivalry with Wisconsin. They have absolutely s*** stomped us twice and we had a comeback win on a 4th down fumble. No real other history other than coaching lineage.

NW we have exiciting B1G games. PSU we have B1G games with historic disputes. Iowa is on our border (only claim they really have and that is still more than Wisconsin). Those three have more footings than Wisky. Nebraska hasn't held their end of the deal.

Ha! They've sh#t stomped us twice.....that was the exact reason I see this rivalry going somewhere. A formidable opponent, one who is built upon a similar foundation,a a loyal fan base, a dedication to the run game. They've smacked us up pretty badly, but I guess for guys who lay down and take it, no big deal. I see it as more of a fight, with something to prove. We owe them.

So you're saying Colorado was a rivalry game. As was Kansas State. As was Missouri. Because we beat the crap out of them and they had something to prove and owed us.

Actually, yeah.

Yes.

Rivalry brewing with Wisky? Please tell me you jest. We have done nothing to garner a rivalry with Wisconsin. They have absolutely s*** stomped us twice and we had a comeback win on a 4th down fumble. No real other history other than coaching lineage.

NW we have exiciting B1G games. PSU we have B1G games with historic disputes. Iowa is on our border (only claim they really have and that is still more than Wisconsin). Those three have more footings than Wisky. Nebraska hasn't held their end of the deal.

Ha! They've sh#t stomped us twice.....that was the exact reason I see this rivalry going somewhere. A formidable opponent, one who is built upon a similar foundation,a a loyal fan base, a dedication to the run game. They've smacked us up pretty badly, but I guess for guys who lay down and take it, no big deal. I see it as more of a fight, with something to prove. We owe them.

So you're saying Colorado was a rivalry game. As was Kansas State. As was Missouri. Because we beat the crap out of them and they had something to prove and owed us.

Actually, yeah.

Yes.

You're saying it but you're wrong :)

• Fire 1

I'm actually shocked as hell you don't think Colorado, Missouri and Kansas State saw us as a rival. I always thought it was a pretty obvious thing.

You forgot Iowa State as someone stuck in Iowa, they hated us. I like to remind them we had a close to 90% winning record against them. I tell there fans we loved them they were a tasty cupcake for us.

Actually, yeah.

Yes.

You're saying it but you're wrong :)

Gotta disagree with you here. Nebraska and Missouri even had a damn trophy.

I'm actually shocked as hell you don't think Colorado, Missouri and Kansas State saw us as a rival. I always thought it was a pretty obvious thing.

When did I say they didn't see us as a rivalry game? I'm saying it was not a rivalry game. They weren't our rivals. Do we really want to be the idiot Colorados, Missouris, and Kansas States to Wisconsin? We are not their rivals. Like someone else pointed out they've destroyed us twice. In several years if things even out then perhaps it'll be a rivalry game. I don't want to be an idiot fan like those of those other teams.

• Fire 2

You forgot Iowa State as someone stuck in Iowa, they hated us. I like to remind them we had a close to 90% winning record against them. I tell there fans we loved them they were a tasty cupcake for us.
Exactly the point that seems to be going over people's heads. Do we want to be like Iowa State fans?
  • Fire 2

When did I say they didn't see us as a rivalry game? I'm saying it was not a rivalry game. They weren't our rivals. Do we really want to be the idiot Colorados, Missouris, and Kansas States to Wisconsin? We are not their rivals. Like someone else pointed out they've destroyed us twice. In several years if things even out then perhaps it'll be a rivalry game. I don't want to be an idiot fan like those of those other teams.
I'm glad we have agreed to disagree. I'm not sure where you're going with the comments about being an idiot like fans of other teams? My entire basis of this discussion was that Wisconsin put a pretty good smack down on us, and I'd say with their 600 yards and 70 points, they didn't feel the need to hold back on us. I view them much the same as Colorado, Kansas State and Missouri may have or probably viewed us. I hope we turn it into an eventual annual beat down that we used to give those teams, but right now, we appear to be the whipping boy, just the way it is.

I can't figure out where people think rivalries start. Wisconsin is the closest thing to a rival I think we have since moving to this conference. Is it the same kind of rivalry that we had for decades with some of the Big 8/Big 12 teams? No. Is this thread called NEW trophy game? Yes. Because it is new, and it's a rivalry I could see developing into something years down the road. If you don't want to call it a rivalry right now, then don't. Who really cares what we call it. What matters is what happens on the field. Right how, what has happened on the field between Nebraska and Wisconsin so far, seems like it could create some bad blood. IMO, of course.

I'm not going to argue semantics of seeing it as a rivalry game versus it actually being a rivalry game. I don't see the point you're trying to make with that. You didn't see it as a rivalry, fine. Missouri, Kansas State and Colorado most definitely saw us as a rival. In the 90's, Nebraska and Colorado was about as good a rivalry game as you could see. Lots of bad blood in that one between fans and players. If we are strolling along this season just fine, and Wisconsin hands us another loss, you bet your ass I will see them as a rival.

Our players can view it however they want, I just hope they use those losses as fuel next time we play them.m especially that Big Ten Championship.

Exactly the point that seems to be going over people's heads. Do we want to be like Iowa State fans?

In what way?

It's been 20 years since Penn State joined the conference. They have yet to magically develop an identity in the conference and still lack a rival. They are still the outsiders and they bitch about it all the time. I don't blame them. It would suck not to belong anywhere.

When conferences are manufactured like they have been today, I really think the endgame is that they just won't work. We expanded to the East and added UMD and RU for the TV sets, yes, but I think people underestimate how much of that decision was made to appease appendage Penn State who was alleged to be having casual conversations with the ACC because they know that the Big Ten move hasn't worked. They've never been happy here and we've never been happy with them here. They are not a Midwest school. The truth is that the Big Ten has never been, and probably will never be their true home. It doesn't help that their football program has sucked balls since they joined the conference compared to what it used to be before they made the move. Will that happen to Nebraska? I'm not sure. I think you guys are a better cultural fit than Penn State, but nonetheless, you are an outsider. You were added for more short-term money. There was very little natural about it.

The tectonic plates of realignment are still moving. Manufactured parts lack the roots that an organically formed body has that naturally holds itself together through time and change. Right now, the only thing that Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland have roots in this conference in are TV dollars. How long will that factor last? 20 years? 30 years? 50 years? Will the Big Ten still be a cash cow 30 years from now? Perhaps we are at the edge of a continued slump that relegates our football to an Ivy League-esque future of futility in the sport. What would be the incentive for you add-ons to stay at that point? What if the Big XII ends up being a wildly rich conference and comes knocking? You would go back. Same with the Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland and the ACC or SEC. That is where the difference lies.

TV destroyed your rightful home (The Big 8) and has done a hell of a job in f'ing up our rightful home (The true Big Ten... with Ten schools). You should be playing Missouri and Oklahoma. Penn State should be playing West Virginia, Pitt and Maryland. TCU should be playing Houston, Baylor and SMU. THAT is right, and everyone knows it. That is where stability is. The influence of TV contracts on re-alignment is one of the biggest tragedies of college football, in my opinion. The only way that things will ever really stabilize is when that factor is eliminated. I have no idea when that is going to happen.

Until then, I feel bad for you guys.

Nebraska, in my lifetime, has never had a true two way rivalry. OU-NU was the closest because the conference championship was often on the line. But OU's true rivalry was with Texas. NU-OU was more of a one way rivalry with NU wanting it more, just like Colorado, K-State and Missouri were one way with NU disinterested.

So not having a rivalry in the B1G will not be a point of concern. Back when NU was a national powerhouse, every team would give us their best shot, but our season was not defined by beating team X, but by winning the conference and the bowl game.

So don't feel sorry for us. Just strap on the helmet and get ready for some football!