The Global Warming Pause

Except that argument starts to fall apart in the face of alternative energy. Wind, solar, recycled garbage, hydroelectric - these weren't available during the Industrial Revolution. They are now, and it's not too much to ask these countries to utilize these sources to the fullest extent possible rather than pitch the planet into an unsustainable environmental decline.

I agree, but it's pretty hypocritical of us to demand lower emissions from foreign countries when the entire reason these factories exist are so we can capitalize on their cheap labor. We should be setting a better standard here first.

Except that argument starts to fall apart in the face of alternative energy. Wind, solar, recycled garbage, hydroelectric - these weren't available during the Industrial Revolution. They are now, and it's not too much to ask these countries to utilize these sources to the fullest extent possible rather than pitch the planet into an unsustainable environmental decline.

I agree, but it's pretty hypocritical of us to demand lower emissions from foreign countries when the entire reason these factories exist are so we can capitalize on their cheap labor. We should be setting a better standard here first.

How do you suggest we do that?

I think it will be a balance of pumping some money into the private sector, with oversight, to help factories become more environmentally friendly(I don't mean the Apples, Microsofts and Nikes of the world either) and the EPA standards easing up a bit on manufacturers. It seems like at times they are more bent on punishing businesses instead of working with them.

The USDA has a good model in place for how to do it with the runoff buildings on livestock farms. They demand higher emissions and runoff standards, but cost share the development of better buildings with farmers. We could absolutely do that with the manufacturing industry.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will be a balance of pumping some money into the private sector, with oversight, to help factories become more environmentally friendly(I don't mean the Apples, Microsofts and Nikes of the world either) and the EPA standards easing up a bit on manufacturers. It seems like at times they are more bent on punishing businesses instead of working with them.

The USDA has a good model in place for how to do it with the runoff buildings on livestock farms. They demand higher emissions and runoff standards, but cost share the development of better buildings with farmers. We could absolutely do that with the manufacturing industry.

Really?

We are a group of countries who have the top environmental laws in the world. When American factories compete for sales here in the US, they are competing against products that are manufactured in countries where the employees (who are making next to nothing) can't even drink the water or breath the air without putting a face mask on.

And, you want US to spend more on cleaning up our environment because you think that's going to "set a better standard here first"?

No, pressure needs to be put on these countries that are the biggest problem. Not the ones who have already taken huge steps to improve their environment while losing the business war to these pathetic countries.

Interested in your plan for putting pressure on China who is clearly not interested in manufacturing regulations. I'm sure they'll welcome our suggestions with open arms

So, the answer is then to make our companies even more non competitive? Why??? To make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Because that is the only thing it does. Putting more regulations on American industries to make us feel better doesn't solve major world environmental issues. In fact, there is an argument that can be said that Americans will then buy MORE products from China which will be produced in horrific environmental situations which will make our world environmental.

The US can't do it alone. But, if the world would put economic pressures on the Pacific rim it can have an affect.

• Fire 2

Interested in your plan for putting pressure on China who is clearly not interested in manufacturing regulations. I'm sure they'll welcome our suggestions with open arms

So, the answer is then to make our companies even more non competitive? Why??? To make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Because that is the only thing it does. Putting more regulations on American industries to make us feel better doesn't solve major world environmental issues. In fact, there is an argument that can be said that Americans will then buy MORE products from China which will be produced in horrific environmental situations which will make our world environmental.

The US can't do it alone. But, if the world would put economic pressures on the Pacific rim it can have an affect.

As long as it's profitable for American companies to have their goods made in countries that don't care about the environment, it's not going to change.

• Fire 1

As long as it's profitable for American companies to have their goods made in countries that don't care about the environment, it's not going to change.

You're forgetting one part of the equation.

If the countries who are the major markets China sells their products into refuse to purchase those products without change.....ummmm....they will change.

No like in premise I agree with you. The problem is, what exactly is your plan for pressuring China

This. Basically, the only option is to kick China out of the WTO. They never should have been admitted in the first place. But that's essentially impossible at this point without creating some sort of enormous global conflict. China loves their massive trade surplus.

No like in premise I agree with you. The problem is, what exactly is your plan for pressuring China

Well, we get agreements with other world powers to put sanctions on countries like Iran. We get agreements to bomb the crap out of ISIS. We get agreements to do lots of things that the world powers see as a common threat to everyone. That is what this will take.

If everyone in the world is in total agreement about global climate change (except the US congressional committee on science and technology), and if it really is going to destroy the planet to the tune of what Al Gore claims, then it should be easy to get these types of agreements on this.

Problem is? (as I have said many times) for us, China is holding our debt and they buy our debt and that is how we finance so much of our government. Some people don't believe this is a problem. But, it's pretty difficult to put pressure on a country when they are holding that wild card.

But, I get back to, putting more regulations on US companies does very very little to battle anything environmental groups or scientists claim they ultimately want to accomplish and that is changing the course of global climate change. THAT needs to be addressed by countries like China and the rest of the Pacific Rim.