Football student tickets remain on sale

Now, it is almost like the administration thinks the students are an after thought and really don't matter. What they don't understand is that these are their future donors. These are the next generation of fans who instill in THEIR kids what it's like to be a Husker fan.

Not to mention, at least in my opinion, that the team belongs to the students more than it belongs to anyone else. No students = no university = no football team.

I don't know if "belongs" is the right word - but the students should feel like they are a part of the team more than they do. He mentioned A&M up above, and that's a perfect example of pride in your school. What they are doing to the students does nothing but lessen the pride in the team, and their inclusion in the team.

Not really surprising though. National pride is in crapper. Pride in anything these days is becoming more an more rare.

Not to mention, at least in my opinion, that the team belongs to the students more than it belongs to anyone else. No students = no university = no football team.

You persist in this idea, but the sellout streak wasn't built on the backs of students. As a percentage, students make up a minority of fans both in existence and in attendance at the games.

This team doesn't have one of the largest, most-dedicated fan followings around the nation because of current students. It doesn't even owe that fandom to alumni - at least not completely. Most Nebraska fans do not and never have attended UNL.

This idea is simply not borne out by the facts, at all.

You may be right. But, this is a demographic that they have on campus to build and maintain that fan base that sends money into the program. The student body is a large part of college sports. They shouldn't feel pushed out of the stadium. This is their school this team is representing and the students don't feel a part of the program. That's sad to think about as an alumni.

You say this team doesn't have one of the largest fan bases around the nation because of the students. The students and alumni might not be the largest group of fans. But, they are a major part of it. I would be interested in knowing what percentage of donors to the athletic department are alumni.

What is the difference between this year and 2010? When I was a sophomore, you had about a 6 hour window the first day tickets came out to get student tickets. Thousands of students got turned away. I'm not positive about this, but I think at one point an entire freshman class didn't get tickets because the upperclassman bought all of them before the freshman window. They eventually changed the process to allow freshman get a certain allotment.

But back to my original question, what changed in 4 years? The seats are in the same location, so I don't think that is a big of an issue as people are making it out to be. Others have noted the crappy schedule, which is possible.

It's the same question I have about regular season ticket holders and how tickets are less than half the value and they were available until early August when they previously were gone by February. Half the price, but took 6 additional months to sell them...

• Fire 1

What is the difference between this year and 2010? When I was a sophomore, you had about a 6 hour window the first day tickets came out to get student tickets. Thousands of students got turned away. I'm not positive about this, but I think at one point an entire freshman class didn't get tickets because the upperclassman bought all of them before the freshman window. They eventually changed the process to allow freshman get a certain allotment.

But back to my original question, what changed in 4 years? The seats are in the same location, so I don't think that is a big of an issue as people are making it out to be. Others have noted the crappy schedule, which is possible.

It's the same question I have about regular season ticket holders and how tickets are less than half the value and they were available until early August when they previously were gone by February. Half the price, but took 6 additional months to sell them...

A lot of things.

In 2010....

We were coming off a near win against Texas for the league championship

We were coming off a 33-0 curbstomping of a good Arizona team in our bowl game

We were ranked #8 to start the season and climbed as high as #5

We had games against Texas and Missouri at home

Bo Pelini's perceived ability and also tangible results were still trending upwards

• Fire 1

I like Landlord's suggestion (maybe not free, but even more reduced prices?)...to encourage more students to show up or try to show up and just energize the future Memorial crowd while they're at the university.

The biggest difference between now and 2010 is probably that 2010 came after the 2009 season and 2014 is coming after 2013. 2015 has a chance to be more like 2010.

2011, 2012 and 2013 happened.

• Fire 2

I wonder how many students bought the whole season's worth just for that Texas game alone in 2010. That was probably the hottest ticket in the nation at that time.

Even after Texas started the season out as a trainwreck it was still an outrageous ticket to get ahold of. Husker nation was a ravenous, hell-bent group that day.

A lot of things.

In 2010....

We were coming off a near win against Texas for the league championship

We were coming off a 33-0 curbstomping of a good Arizona team in our bowl game

We were ranked #8 to start the season and climbed as high as #5

We had games against Texas and Missouri at home

Bo Pelini's perceived ability and also tangible results were still trending upwards

Yes, this is precisely my point that I have been arguing for over a year now but often get argued to no avail. These are all on the field issues caused by the product on the field. So many people argue all these factors of why demand for tickets is so low, which all may have some impact. But the largest reason why demand is so low is because the on-field performance is lacking.

• Fire 2

Talking to some friends at UNL they thought the terrible home schedule was a big reason for them not being sold out.

That's bizarre thinking to me. I'd go hang out at practice if they'd let me. I literally pay to watch a Spring football practice every year. I couldn't care less who they're playing, if it's Husker football, I'd like to be there watching it.

The idea that if they're playing weak opponents we won't show up is weird. This Sellout Streak wasn't built on the most rugged of schedules. For the better part of the 60s-90s, you could count on at least five of the other Big 8 schools to be pretty much crap, plus two garbage non-cons and maybe a half-decent-to-good non-con opponent.

The years we played Oklahoma in Norman, we rarely played a "sexy" team in Lincoln. Yet they still sold out the stadium, because it was Nebraska and we were Nebraskans.

As long as I can see football being played I'll be there. I do remember one year we played Pacific, who I'm sure may not have been a division I-A team at the time.

Talking to some friends at UNL they thought the terrible home schedule was a big reason for them not being sold out.

That's bizarre thinking to me. I'd go hang out at practice if they'd let me. I literally pay to watch a Spring football practice every year. I couldn't care less who they're playing, if it's Husker football, I'd like to be there watching it.

The idea that if they're playing weak opponents we won't show up is weird. This Sellout Streak wasn't built on the most rugged of schedules. For the better part of the 60s-90s, you could count on at least five of the other Big 8 schools to be pretty much crap, plus two garbage non-cons and maybe a half-decent-to-good non-con opponent.

The years we played Oklahoma in Norman, we rarely played a "sexy" team in Lincoln. Yet they still sold out the stadium, because it was Nebraska and we were Nebraskans.

As long as I can see football being played I'll be there. I do remember one year we played Pacific, who I'm sure may not have been a division I-A team at the time.

70-0

The key point to remember when dealing with UNL is that they don't give a sh#t about students. That applies to academics, sports attendance, retention, etc. Keep that in mind, and the fact that UNL is working less and less to hide this fact, and you'll see why there might be an issue with student ticket sales.

The key point to remember when dealing with UNL is that they don't give a sh#t about students. That applies to academics, sports attendance, retention, etc. Keep that in mind, and the fact that UNL is working less and less to hide this fact, and you'll see why there might be an issue with student ticket sales.

I largely agree with this sentiment. However, I doubt selling-out the student tickets would be an issue, even with all the screw-jobs I outlined above, if the product on the field wasn't mediocre or consistently inconsistent.

I largely agree with this sentiment. However, I doubt selling-out the student tickets would be an issue, even with all the screw-jobs I outlined above, if the product on the field wasn't mediocre or consistently inconsistent.

As it turns out, Georgia students left empty 39% of their designated sections of Sanford Stadium over the last four seasons, according to school records of student-ticket scans. Despite their allocation of about 18,000 seats, the number of students at games between 2009 and 2012 never exceeded 15,000.

Winning isn't even necessarily a solution. The average student crowd to see last year's Georgia team—which finished the season ranked No. 5—was almost 6,000 short of maximum capacity. Even at Alabama, 32% of student seats went unused by students between 2009 and 2012, when the Crimson Tide won three national championships.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304795804579097223907738780?mobile=y