** What did we learn today? FAU version **

NUance

Apparently we were lucky?

FAU cornerback D'Joun Smith offered a unique explanation as to why then No. 22 Nebraska moved the ball so freely in the Cornhuskers 55-7 season-opening victory over the Owls: FAU was over confident.

This happened despite the fact that most prognostication services considered FAU at least a three-touchdown underdog.

“Even though people thought we were the underdog in our mind we weren't the underdog,” said Smith, a preseason All-Conference USA selection.

Smith said he and his teammates thought that if they came out and “punched them in the mouth” Nebraska players would wilt, and FAU's superior talent would take over.

Nebraska, however, punched them back, racking up 784 yards of total offense – the most ever against an FAU team.

Despite those numbers Smith still thinks FAU could take Nebraska, given another shot.

“If we go back to Nebraska again I still think in our hearts, and I think we all think that, we are going in and beating them,” Smith said. “They sure weren't faster than us. We had way more speed than them. They just capitalized on our mistakes.”

Yes, that's a whole corn field of mistakes. The Owls, of course, don't get another shot at Nebraska. Instead, they travel to No. 2 Alabama. And it's still uncertain whether Smith will be able to face the Tide.

Link

This is obviously ridiculous, but if we're going to mock it I guess that means we are retiring the "Michigan St wasn't better than Nebraska, if we don't turn the ball over five times, they don't capitalize on our mistakes and win" chestnut.

• Fire 2

FAU cornerback D'Joun Smith offered a unique explanation as to why then No. 22 Nebraska moved the ball so freely in the Cornhuskers 55-7 season-opening victory over the Owls: FAU was over confident.

This happened despite the fact that most prognostication services considered FAU at least a three-touchdown underdog.

“Even though people thought we were the underdog in our mind we weren't the underdog,” said Smith, a preseason All-Conference USA selection.

Smith said he and his teammates thought that if they came out and “punched them in the mouth” Nebraska players would wilt, and FAU's superior talent would take over.

Nebraska, however, punched them back, racking up 784 yards of total offense – the most ever against an FAU team.

Despite those numbers Smith still thinks FAU could take Nebraska, given another shot.

“If we go back to Nebraska again I still think in our hearts, and I think we all think that, we are going in and beating them,” Smith said. “They sure weren't faster than us. We had way more speed than them. They just capitalized on our mistakes.”

Yes, that's a whole corn field of mistakes. The Owls, of course, don't get another shot at Nebraska. Instead, they travel to No. 2 Alabama. And it's still uncertain whether Smith will be able to face the Tide.

Link

This is obviously ridiculous, but if we're going to mock it I guess that means we are retiring the "Michigan St wasn't better than Nebraska, if we don't turn the ball over five times, they don't capitalize on our mistakes and win" chestnut.

At some point it should occur to you that being logical about one's team is not a hallmark of any team's fans.

This expectation that Nebraska Fan will be wholly rational and frequently critical of the team they root for is nuts. They're fans. They're supposed to root for their team, regardless of logic or reason.

Link

if the game would've been completely different we would've won

Link

Yeah, because unforced turnovers giving your opponent the ball inside the red zone is exactly the same as smashing a team and your 5th and 6th string RB's averaging 7 yards a carry...

FAU cornerback D'Joun Smith offered a unique explanation as to why then No. 22 Nebraska moved the ball so freely in the Cornhuskers 55-7 season-opening victory over the Owls: FAU was over confident. This happened despite the fact that most prognostication services considered FAU at least a three-touchdown underdog. “Even though people thought we were the underdog in our mind we weren't the underdog,” said Smith, a preseason All-Conference USA selection. Smith said he and his teammates thought that if they came out and “punched them in the mouth” Nebraska players would wilt, and FAU's superior talent would take over. Nebraska, however, punched them back, racking up 784 yards of total offense – the most ever against an FAU team. Despite those numbers Smith still thinks FAU could take Nebraska, given another shot. “If we go back to Nebraska again I still think in our hearts, and I think we all think that, we are going in and beating them,” Smith said. “They sure weren't faster than us. We had way more speed than them. They just capitalized on our mistakes.” Yes, that's a whole corn field of mistakes. The Owls, of course, don't get another shot at Nebraska. Instead, they travel to No. 2 Alabama. And it's still uncertain whether Smith will be able to face the Tide.

Link
At some point it should occur to you that being logical about one's team is not a hallmark of any team's fans.This expectation that Nebraska Fan will be wholly rational and frequently critical of the team they root for is nuts. They're fans. They're supposed to root for their team, regardless of logic or reason.

---I don't think I'm catching the point you're trying to make here.

Link

27-21 with 10 minutes left in the 4th compared to 48-7? Little difference circumstances dont you think?

But as far as Michigan St being better, well, they were. I personally never argued them being better. Just on that day, we got in our own way again. And that's a substance of a team as well. It's a legit argument for the Michigan St game. For this, it's just ludicrous. And I'm shocked that on Wednesday, their players are still dwelling on how they coulda lost by just 30 instead of 48 last week, as opposed to putting their mind to Bama (lol).

• Fire 1

Link

27-21 with 10 minutes left in the 4th compared to 48-7? Little difference circumstances dont you think?

But as far as Michigan St being better, well, they were. I personally never argued them being better. Just on that day, we got in our own way again. And that's a substance of a team as well. It's a legit argument for the Michigan St game. For this, it's just ludicrous. And I'm shocked that on Wednesday, their players are still dwelling on how they coulda lost by just 30 instead of 48 last week, as opposed to putting their mind to Bama (lol).

Both instances, be it Nebraska being turnover riddled or FAU getting their ears pinned back, are indicative of a team being overmatched.

Anywhom,

I'd rather that we go back to what we used to do when a player from a FAU or wherever crowed after a bad game--not care. Us pointing fingers at him and mocking doesn't add to the score, it just makes us the worst kind of bully. The pathetic kind. The Kansas. St kind that puffs it's chest out and mocks the Little Sisters of the Poor after they play and gets floored by the good teams.

I did like the topic that Knapp posted. Keep your head down, beat the crap out of the bad teams, and keep the MSU game circled.

• Fire 1

Link

Both instances, be it Nebraska being turnover riddled or FAU getting their ears pinned back, are indicative of a team being overmatched.

Anywhom,

I'd rather that we go back to what we used to do when a player from a FAU or wherever crowed after a bad game--not care. Us pointing fingers at him and mocking doesn't add to the score, it just makes us the worst kind of bully. The pathetic kind. The Kansas. St kind that puffs it's chest out and mocks the Little Sisters of the Poor after they play and gets floored by the good teams.

I did like the topic that Knapp posted. Keep your head down, beat the crap out of the bad teams, and keep the MSU game circled.

I'll agree about the puffing the chest type of thing.

I was just trying to point out that we on that day were not merely overmatched. A game in which we turn it over 5 times and were still down by jsut 6 with 10 minutes left in the 4th is nto the same as being completely ran off the field. He mentions making mistakes. they had no turnovers and much fewer penalties. They were FAR FAR from a few run fits away from being competitive.

Now the Big 10 CCG against Wisky. That'd be a more reasonable comparison of us trying to say "if we just did this and that different....."

• Fire 1

Link

Anywhom,

I must have missed the part where the players on the team are doing this?

All I see are Husker fans, on a message board, making fun of a guy for saying something stupid, something we are #entitled to do.

• Fire 1