2006 and 2007 schedules are complete

I can withstand Ball State and Nevada - almost any Division I team. Just can't get over Nichols State. Bugs me. Personally, I don't have a problem with the occasional "puff" team. But, Nichols State is stooping too low. Pederson blew this one, IMO. Reeks of desperation!! I'd rather play an Ivy League team. Okay...I'm done ranting on Nichols State.

Nevada actually could be a pretty decent game.

Ironically, before I heard this news about scheduling Ball State, I predicted to a friend of mine that we would next schedule Ball State and Toledo. Well, I got half of it right!!

. When nebraska opened with maine last year I paid the 30 dollars to watch it on tv. The best 30 dollars I have spent, I just don't really care if they are playing a 3 a team or a highschool team I love to watch the big red machine.

Me too. I don't care who we play, I will do whatever I can to watch.

Texas has North Texas, Rice, and Sam Houston State next year. Miami plays Florida A&M and Florida International. FSU plays Troy, Rice and Western Michigan. Hell, Notre Dame plays all 3 service academies! My point is, everyone has cupcakes

Very good point. I agree. Don't blame us for doing the exact same thing that BCS schools are doing on the norm.

"Support the school" ... perhaps one is supporting the school when they reject playing "puff" teams. When Pederson does this crap ... I'm just not a fan ... and I then I'm forced among all my friends and competitors to back up the Huskers while I'm embarrassed.

Last time I checked, we live in America. You aren't FORCED to back up anything you don't want to.

Come on folks the schedule evens out. We took a team that won 34 in a row as one of our non conference games. They aren't all puffs.

I can withstand Ball State and Nevada - almost any Division I team. Just can't get over Nichols State. Bugs me. Personally, I don't have a problem with the occasional "puff" team. But, Nichols State is stooping too low. Pederson blew this one, IMO. Reeks of desperation!! I'd rather play an Ivy League team. Okay...I'm done ranting on Nichols State.

Nevada actually could be a pretty decent game.

Ironically, before I heard this news about scheduling Ball State, I predicted to a friend of mine that we would next schedule Ball State and Toledo. Well, I got half of it right!!

When you have a $55 million budget to balance, then by all means schedule the tougher (and bigger guarentee) teams every year and when the money has to be taken away from FB to cover other sports don't piss and moan when they start losing. :horns2

People are forgetting 1 main thing. NOT many lower DIV-A schools havev any openings to play NU. Every single team that can afford to pay another team to come play them at home is rushing to fill that 12th spot

You have 117 Div-A schools (well 119 actually with the 2 new schools from Florida) and roughly half of those are scheduling the other half, and when that team isn't playing the power schools that can afford to bring them in for a paycheck, they are playing another power school the following weekend. Some have suggested other teams. Just to give people an idea why we picked Nickelodeon state and not something else is because

Cincinatti's schedule is full (Ohio St, Vtech, Miami-Ohio)

Connecticut schedule is full (Wake Forest, Indiana, Navy)

Rutgers schedule is full (Illinois, Navy, North Carolina)

Syracuse schedule is full (Illinois, Iowa, Miami-Oh)

Akron schedule is full (Penn St, N.C State)

Toledo schedule is full (Iowa St, Pitts, Kansas)

Northern Illinois schedule is full (Ohio St, Iowa)

Temple schedule is full (Minnesota, Auburn, Clemson)

Utah St schedule is full (Oregon, Arkansas, Utah)

etc.......

The list goes on and on and on. People are forgetting that these lower DIV-A schools are not going to schedule 3, 4 tough teams in 1 season. They themselves are fighting just to make a bowl game at the end of the season. Heck, even they can afford to pay DIV-AA teams to come play them. I am sure Nickelodeon state wasn't SP first choice, but when you have limited time and limted teams that want to come play you, there's nothing you can do

You know what, I would be alot more pissed if we scheduled a home and away series against a second tier team like North Carolina State. Why should we go to North Carolina to play them and lose out on an extra home game? I gaurentee that they are not gonna want to come to Lincoln two years in a row... We are playing one powerhouse, a couple of teams that have been bowl eligible in recent memory, and one cupcake, and more importantly, have THREE home games.

Those teams might not be the power house teams that a some of you might want to see us play, but you must have some of those types to get your back ups some playing time. Beck's not just going to walk in next year and throw for 300 yards out of the blue. Lucky, Glenn and the rest of the new starters have got a lot to learn real quick as they didn't get much playing time last year because of all those close games. The luxury T.O. had of playing his 2nd & 3rd strings are a ways off for this Husker team. You don't get better reading the play book, you need to be on the field and this schedule will do just that. IMHO.

GBR!!!

You know what, I would be alot more pissed if we scheduled a home and away series against a second tier team like North Carolina State. Why should we go to North Carolina to play them and lose out on an extra home game? I gaurentee that they are not gonna want to come to Lincoln two years in a row... We are playing one powerhouse, a couple of teams that have been bowl eligible in recent memory, and one cupcake, and more importantly, have THREE home games.

I don't know about that. I could see us scheduling a home-home series with N.C State. The wolfpack aren't a lower tier team, but they also aren't a powerhouse team. I would put them as the equivlant of Iowa in the Big10 or Cal in the Pac-10 or even Texas Tech in the Big12. I think that would be a great matchup. N.C State always has one of the top 10 defenses on a consistant basis year in and year out

From rojo on another site:

Thank goodness for the salt-of-the-earth values of the Ohio River valley. Surely the Big 10 is not shamelessly scheduling winnable, “pay the bills” games for 2006.

Or are they?

You bet. As fast as they can sign them up...

It's the same problem everywhere: Get six football wins to be bowl-eligible. Pay for your minor sports and facility improvements.

I. Division I-AA opponents for home games in ’06: [Note: Final ’05 Sagarin rankings are given.]

A. The Big 12: (So far...)

1) Texas home game: Sam Houston State ( #163 on the final Sagarin poll)

2) Texas Tech home game: Southeastern Louisiana (#158)

3) Colorado home game: Montana State (#118)

4) Missouri home game: Murray State (#210)

5) Texas A&M home game: The Citadel (#173)

6) Baylor home game: Northwestern State (#138)

7) Kansas State home game: Illinois State (#89)

8) Iowa State home game: Northern Iowa (#87)

9) Nebraska home game: Nicholls State (#112)

Compare….

B. The Big 10: (So far...)

1) Iowa home game: Montana (#116)

2) Minnesota home game: North Dakota State (#108)

3) Illinois home game: Eastern Illinois (#149)

4) Purdue home game: Indiana State (#201)

5) Wisconsin home game: Western Illinois (#148)

6) Northwestern home game: New Hampshire (#101)

7) Penn State home game: Youngstown State (#99)

.III. High-profile opponents for ‘06:

A) Big 12:

--Nebraska: USC

--Texas: Ohio State

--Oklahoma: Washington & Oregon

--Missouri: Mississippi

--Colorado: Arizona State & Georgia

--Iowa State: Iowa

–-Baylor: Washington State

–-Kansas State: Louisville

B) Big 10:

--Iowa: Iowa State

--Michigan: Notre Dame

--Michigan State: Pittsburgh, Notre Dame

--Minnesota: California

--Ohio State: Texas

--Penn State: Notre Dame

--Purdue: Notre Dame

The Bottom Line:

"Football pays the bills" for Athletic Departments everywhere. From Happy Valley to Austin the same formula seems to be at use:

1) Schedule winnable “preseason” home games. (One Division I-AA opponent at home is acceptable).

2) Play one more-or-less high-profile opponent.

3) Go to your conference schedule.

_ _ _

FYI… Big 10 Non-Conference Schedules for '06: (So far…)

Michigan:

--Vanderbilt (#67)

--Central Michigan (#72)

--at Notre Dame (#8)

--Ball State (#104)

Penn State:

--Akron (#94)

--at Notre Dame (#8)

--Youngstown State (Div. I-AA, #99)

--Temple (#154)

Iowa:

--Montana (Div I-AA, #116)

--at Syracuse (#114)

--Iowa State (#30)

--Northern Illinois (#60)

Michigan State:

--Idaho (#145)

--Eastern Michigan (#105)

--at Pittsburgh (#59)

--Notre Dame (#8)

Minnesota:

--Temple (#154)

--at California (#29)

--North Dakota State (Div I-AA, #108)

--1 opponent to be named

Wisconsin:

--at Bowling Green (#77)

--Western Illinois (Div I-AA, #148)

--San Diego State (#63)

--1 opponent to be named

Ohio State:

--Northern Illinois (#60)

--at Texas (#1)

--Cincinnati (#95)

--Bowling Green (#77)

Northwestern:

--at Miami (Ohio)

--New Hampshire (Div I-AA, #101)

--Eastern Michigan (#105)

--at Nevada (#73)

Purdue:

--Indiana State (Div. I-AA, #201)

--Miami (Ohio) (#66)

--Ball State (#104)

--at Notre Dame (#8)

--at Hawaii (#91)

Illinois:

--Eastern Illinois (Div. I-AA, #149)

--at Rutgers (#53)

--Syracuse (#114)

--Central Michigan (#72)

Indiana:

--at Ball State (#84)

--Connecticut (#68)

--2 opponents to be named

Just some things to think about....

Just go to the games and be loud enough said

"be loud" and of course "wear red"... :thumbs

From rojo on another site:

do you mind, bringing such facts to the board...

some folks were using those new sched's as this month's reason to hate SP. now they'll have to find something else that's already been used and worn thin.

:sarcasm