This is why you never, ever, ever let up

knapplc

While I agree with you that our guys should use his words as motivation, I don't agree with pretty much the rest of your take on it, and here's why:

What do we expect FAU players to say? "Man, we were scared as hell to go in there to their stadium. I about pooped my pants when I saw that team come out of the tunnel."??? Sorry, but that's not gonna happen. Ever.

I think the whole point of this topic of these comments are that if they happen before the game, oh boy, look at this. But it's after the game that was never close. So it's comical. No i dont expect him to say they were scare. I simply expect him to say nothing at all and move along. Opening his mouth is the mistake in this situation. You got your ass whipped son. Just move along.

The point I'm trying to make is that instead of talking about how Nebraska doesn't scare people anymore, the thing that I get out of Smith's statements is that FAU has a good mentality about playing the game. As players, I think it's great that he is taking the mindset of "We've got to improve us." That mindset makes him and his teammates search for answers of how to get better. If they had the mentality of "They were just the better team" then that is not a progressive mindset, so I applaud his comments.

• Fire 1

While I agree with you that our guys should use his words as motivation, I don't agree with pretty much the rest of your take on it, and here's why:

What do we expect FAU players to say? "Man, we were scared as hell to go in there to their stadium. I about pooped my pants when I saw that team come out of the tunnel."??? Sorry, but that's not gonna happen. Ever.

I think the whole point of this topic of these comments are that if they happen before the game, oh boy, look at this. But it's after the game that was never close. So it's comical. No i dont expect him to say they were scare. I simply expect him to say nothing at all and move along. Opening his mouth is the mistake in this situation. You got your ass whipped son. Just move along.

The point I'm trying to make is that instead of talking about how Nebraska doesn't scare people anymore, the thing that I get out of Smith's statements is that FAU has a good mentality about playing the game. As players, I think it's great that he is taking the mindset of "We've got to improve us." That mindset makes him and his teammates search for answers of how to get better. If they had the mentality of "They were just the better team" then that is not a progressive mindset, so I applaud his comments.

Agree.

And, I hope he and his teammates continue to have that mind set. I hope they take that then have have a very good season.

You have to think that way, or you are already beat. It isn't that Nebraska isn't striking fear into opponents. Do you think Smith honestly believes they are going to beat Nebraska? No, but you must have that mentality. What is he going to say in interview? "Yeah, we didn't have a shot, they are more athletic, and we will never win. Boo hoo."

Sorry but I disagree. I think it has been so long for Nebraska dominating opponents that truly none of them are intimidated to play us anymore. I honestly think he believes what he said and it has little to do with him "having" to say such. Of course no opponent should or would ever say they expected to be totally outclassed and to lose but, we shouldn't confuse that with them actually having a healthy level of respect for us either. Too many opponents have shown us this over the past years. I don't want or expect any opponent to come into Memorial Stadium thinking they have no chance (where's the fun in that?) but this also is no longer the 80's or 90's where that was the mindset of many an opponent.

As knapp said in the OP, we need to reignite that killer instinct and start putting the fear of the Huskers into people. That will only come about through a series of dominating performances with no hiccups along the way. Every time we let a Wyoming or South Dakota State or some such team hang with us, or we get our doors blown off, it will be even longer until our opponents have the desired level of respect and fear of us. We have to earn that respect on the field.

Knapp, I didn't read through the responses, and maybe someone touched on this. But coming from me, and understanding the seasons I've endured as an assistant coach. Almost every game we've been an underdog, at least in the last 3-4 years. Do we tell our kids that? No. You can't. You go in thinking you are and underdog and are suppose to lose, then you'll never pull the upset AKA App St vs Mich 2007 esque. Also, Is that kid from FAU really gunna say "Yes, we definitely knew we were underdogs.". Are the coaches going to say "Well we're just going to collect our paycheck and get our arse's stomped" No. They gotta sell that they have a good gameplan and that if they execute it, they'll win.

I get the point but, to me, I don't care what the other team thinks. Be yourself, execute and win. Who cares what outside forces think. The perception is what it is right now, and Bo and company are making the changes necessary to change that. Clearly. Unless we haven't been following the off season and or don't believe what we're being told.

Keep winning, and the rest takes care of it self.

• Fire 1

Knapp, I didn't read through the responses, and maybe someone touched on this. But coming from me, and understanding the seasons I've endured as an assistant coach. Almost every game we've been an underdog, at least in the last 3-4 years. Do we tell our kids that? No. You can't. You go in thinking you are and underdog and are suppose to lose, then you'll never pull the upset AKA App St vs Mich 2007 esque. Also, Is that kid from FAU really gunna say "Yes, we definitely knew we were underdogs.". Are the coaches going to say "Well we're just going to collect our paycheck and get our arse's stomped" No. They gotta sell that they have a good gameplan and that if they execute it, they'll win.

I get the point but, to me, I don't care what the other team thinks. Be yourself, execute and win. Who cares what outside forces think. The perception is what it is right now, and Bo and company are making the changes necessary to change that. Clearly. Unless we haven't been following the off season and or don't believe what we're being told.

Keep winning, and the rest takes care of it self.

This is all well and good but the point is he made his comments AFTER they got stomped. There were many avenues this guy could have gone down and not end up getting skewered like he is. He chose not to and now he is taking it on the chin.

Come Saturday, no one will care what he said. But for now, people are going to pile on.

• Fire 2

JJ, if the comments were made before the game, I'm all in and agree. But they were made after. The guy's an idiot. It was 55-7. It was over at halftime.

Oh I agree with that part of it........making those comments after we had just totally dominated them and handed them their asses is, well, somewhat curious. He could've said it a thousand ways better without coming off completely clueless but he didn't.

I think everyone but Knapp is missing Knapps point. No one is scared of NU anymore. No one cares we are on the their schedule. No doubt in my mind, FAU came in here thinking they could win. Now doing it is something different, but they believed they could.

NU has laid some eggs against foes who we should have kicked the sh!t out of under Bo and didn't. The past performance has hurt us, just like the glory days helped. Many times teams were defeated before they even show dup from the beating they got the year before.

NU has lost that killer edge under Bo. We need to get up on a team and continue that attack until the final whistle. Make kids feel so bad about themselves they quit. We need to beat teams down. Continue to wear them out and send a message. You come into Lincoln, win, lose or draw we are going to kick your a$$. Same thing when we travel. The other team will know they were in a street brawl.

Think Wisky felt that way in 2012? Did they even break a sweat? Our first meeting with Michigan? Hell SDSU? I think no. We need to get that pit bull mentality back.

Break the will of the opposing teams to even come out of the locker room.

As far as the comments about punching us in the mouth. Calling Corey Raymond. I think he commented on us "getting punched in the mouth" after the SC game. How many times has it looked like we laid down? The hail mary against SC, AA fumble in 2012, INT Michigan etc. In the past, kicks to the nuts crippled this team. That was his comment and what even a casual observer let alone one who studies game film would come too. NU quits when punched hard. Will they this year? I hope not.

Were the guys comments off base? No. NU has lost respect and needs to get it back.

Good stuff Knapp

• Fire 1

The announcer of the Alabama - West Virginia game said, "The Big Ten West is weak at best" with heavy emphasis on "at best" when talking about why Wisconsin needed to beat LSU.

The announcer of the USC - Fresno State team said, "Nebraska needs to watch out for this Fresno State team" [paraphrasing] after USC just made Fresno look as silly as we made FAU look.

Woof.

• Fire 1

The announcer of the Alabama - West Virginia game said, "The Big Ten West is weak at best" with heavy emphasis on "at best" when talking about why Wisconsin needed to beat LSU.

The announcer of the USC - Fresno State team said, "Nebraska needs to watch out for this Fresno State team" [paraphrasing] after USC just made Fresno look as silly as we made FAU look.

Woof.

sure he didn't say, "the big ten west this week is the best"?

and "nebraska needs a watch out for this fresno state team," because it is such a late game?