**** What we Learned - McNeese St Edition ****

NUance

Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread, it seems like Bo's passive defense is back. Cannot wrap my head around why he didn't learn something from getting aggressive last season. Instead of picking up where we left off, it seems like we took a step or two back.

And if their body language is anything to go by, the players find this BOOOOORING!The defense looked asleep out there, disinterested, going through the motions. They're not being taught to think for themselves, either - every play, they're looking over to the sideline, looking for reads from the coaches.Seems like the coaching staff wants drones out there who just do what they're told. They call it "executing" and demand better when it doesn't happen, except the problem isn't with the players (only), it's with the coaches themselves. A scheme where you leave half the field undefended on 4th & 5, allowing a 26-yard gain, isn't a scheme worth using. Any defender with instincts has to know you cannot do that. But they're not using instinct, they're just little robots doing what they're told.I think that's a long-term failing proposition, and we see the product that gets us on the field.

So spot on.

I got beaten to death around here for my hatred of this scheme. I was told the scheme is not the problem, its the guys running it. So while some continue to blame the players, I will continue to blame coaching. I thought Bo was coming around. This game showed we haven't changed a thing in our approach.

As far as a team taking a natural huge step from week one to week two, yes you'd expect that and I'm sure the coaches expected it too. Which is why, without full knowledge of the situation, I'm going to go out on a limb and say these coaches probably threw the entire book at these players again. Trying way too hard to do way too much, and I am so damn sick of it.

Even if Bo cherishes his scheme and it CAN work (evidence-- 2009-2010 seasons), it is still NOT a scheme that produces turnovers.

Here is where we rank in takeaways nationally since Bo got here:

2008: 97th

2009: 21st

2010: 49th

2011: 91st

2012: 46th
2013: 117th in TO margin (couldn't find archive where I could sort by strictly takeaways but we had a paltry 18 on the year)

I think this is a huge part of the reason that this scheme sucks a lot of the time and we all hate it. Damon Benning was ranting last year before the Iowa game and what he said finally clicked perfectly for me-- it's not JUST that we give away the ball too much (we do), we simply don't force any turnovers and it kills our TO margin.

It naturally lends itself to bend don't break play in an attempt to play safe and avoid the big play (Bo's NFL background having an influence) and not exciting turnover causing plays...

Doesn't seem like things have changed much either. Two games in we have a weak 1 turnover... but hey, at least we've only given it away once. :lame:throw:rant

I was told the scheme is not the problem, its the guys running it. So while some continue to blame the players, I will continue to blame coaching.

What about the scheme is the issue? Do you know what the scheme is? Our DL consumed double teams quite a bit yesterday. Our LBs did not perform. Period. Our scheme can give a LB great numbers......check with Barrett Ruud, Demorrio Williams and Lavonte David about what the scheme does for a LB. Then, since the tv played his replay 3 times yesterday, ask J Banderas if he's supposed to whiff in the backfield. Pelini said before the season, he wanted a LB to separate himself......and it's why M Rose-Ivey insinuating the difference between an athlete (track star) and a football player.

I was told the scheme is not the problem, its the guys running it. So while some continue to blame the players, I will continue to blame coaching.

What about the scheme is the issue? Do you know what the scheme is? Our DL consumed double teams quite a bit yesterday. Our LBs did not perform. Period. Our scheme can give a LB great numbers......check with Barrett Ruud, Demorrio Williams and Lavonte David about what the scheme does for a LB. Then, since the tv played his replay 3 times yesterday, ask J Banderas if he's supposed to whiff in the backfield. Pelini said before the season, he wanted a LB to separate himself......and it's why M Rose-Ivey insinuating the difference between an athlete (track star) and a football player.

If I had to say my biggest issues is one, the responsibility place on a MLB'er who is apparently struggling. Thats great that the scheme can create huge numbers for our linebackers. So what happens when it doesn't ?

I don't like the fact that we rarely use any press coverage at all, and I mean ever.

I don't like the fact that we seem to have a linebacker in man coverage constantly against running backs who are much faster.

I don't like the fact that we rarely blitz, yet when we do, it works.

I hate a defensive line scheme in which a d-linemen is not shooting gaps and trying to get upfield.

I hate read and react, I'd much rather impose our plan and make the offense react. I believe a defensive line should try to get upfield and make plays in the backfield.

I believe in a defense that applies pressure on an opposing offense to be perfect, not pressuring themselves to be perfect.

I believe a college QB will make plenty of mistakes if you make him make quick decisions. If you give him time, he can kill you.

I believe in rush ends.

I don't believe in playing scared, trying to avoid the big play. Most likely, if you attack, the big play will be a turnover. We create none.

I like agressive safety play.

I like a stunting defensive line.

I like deception. Inestad of lining up man over man giving an opposing offense a clear look at your formation, run eight guys up to the line of scrimmage, at the snap of the ball, only rush three. Give the same look the next series, and bring all eight.

Keep them guessing. McBride style. Not wholesale changes on every snap depending on the look the offense is giving you. Keep it simple.

I don't know, I'm not a coach. There's a lot I'd do differently. Mostly thought, just increased aggression. Attack. Stop pressuring ourselves to be perfect, make them beat us.

• Fire 3

If I had to say my biggest issues is one, the responsibility place on a MLB'er who is apparently struggling. Thats great that the scheme can create huge numbers for our linebackers. So what happens when it doesnt? I don't like the fact that we rarely use any press coverage at all, and I mean ever. I don't like the fact that we seem to have a linebacker in man coverage constantly against running backs who are much faster. I don't like the fact that we rarely blitz, yet when we do, it works. I hate a defensive line scheme in which a d-linemen is not shooting gaps and trying to get upfield. I hate read and react, I'd much rather impose our plan and make the offense react. I believe a defensive line should try to get upfield and make plays in the backfield. I believe in a defense that applies pressure on an opposing offense to be perfect, not pressuring themselves to be perfect. I believe a college QB will make plenty of mistakes if you make him make quick decisions. If you give him time, he can kill you. I believe in rush ends. I don't believe in playing scared, trying to avoid the big play. Most likely, if you attack, the big play will be a turnover. We create none. I like agressive safety play. I like a stunting defensive line. I like deception. Inestad of lining up man over man giving an opposing offense a clear look at your formation, run eight guys up to the line of scrimmage, at the snap of the ball, only rush three. Give the same look the next series, and bring all eight. Keep them guessing. McBride style.

I don't know, I'm not a coach. There's a lot I'd do differently. Mostly thought, just increased aggression. Attack. Stop pressuring ourselves to be perfect, make them beat us.

Our defense is very much designed to create pressure. McMullen and Collins both applied pressure, and there were a lot of double teams. LBs should be licking their chops when DL gets double teamed.....it's got TFL written all over it.....if they understand gap responsibility.....followed by making the tackle. Williams and David absolutely excelled at finishing tackles. And as far as getting upfield, pressuring the quarterback and making plays, I have a strong feeling based on seeing Vincent Valentine being double teamed often......no one will be happier than VV to see Randy Gregory return. I don't think it's any stretch that we can get more creative and attacking with Randy's return. And by the way, regarding McBride.....I'm old enough to remember how he was perceived at times before 1994.

If I had to say my biggest issues is one, the responsibility place on a MLB'er who is apparently struggling. Thats great that the scheme can create huge numbers for our linebackers. So what happens when it doesnt? I don't like the fact that we rarely use any press coverage at all, and I mean ever. I don't like the fact that we seem to have a linebacker in man coverage constantly against running backs who are much faster. I don't like the fact that we rarely blitz, yet when we do, it works. I hate a defensive line scheme in which a d-linemen is not shooting gaps and trying to get upfield. I hate read and react, I'd much rather impose our plan and make the offense react. I believe a defensive line should try to get upfield and make plays in the backfield. I believe in a defense that applies pressure on an opposing offense to be perfect, not pressuring themselves to be perfect. I believe a college QB will make plenty of mistakes if you make him make quick decisions. If you give him time, he can kill you. I believe in rush ends. I don't believe in playing scared, trying to avoid the big play. Most likely, if you attack, the big play will be a turnover. We create none. I like agressive safety play. I like a stunting defensive line. I like deception. Inestad of lining up man over man giving an opposing offense a clear look at your formation, run eight guys up to the line of scrimmage, at the snap of the ball, only rush three. Give the same look the next series, and bring all eight. Keep them guessing. McBride style.

Our defense is very much designed to create pressure. McMullen and Collins both applied pressure, and there were a lot of double teams. LBs should be licking their chops when DL gets double teamed.....it's got TFL written all over it.....if they understand gap responsibility.....followed by making the tackle. Williams and David absolutely excelled at finishing tackles. And as far as getting upfield, pressuring the quarterback and making plays, I have a strong feeling based on seeing Vincent Valentine being double teamed often......no one will be happier than VV to see Randy Gregory return. I don't think it's any stretch that we can get more creative and attacking with Randy's return. And by the way, regarding McBride.....I'm old enough to remember how he was perceived at times before 1994.

We rush four all game....kind of easy to double team our defensive line. If your not creating pressure with four in Bo's scheme, it really falters. Why do we not adjust when this is happening? If the LB'ers are not responding, do we just continue to do what we are doing until they figure it out or you think the coaches should help them? I'm asking you. To me, you don't just keep doing what's not working, but I'm aware you don't exactly think the way I do.

McBride before 94....geezus, this again.

McBride fielded some good defenses that didn't win titles guy. Good lord.

Can we look past numbers, stats, trophies, blah blah blah, and look at what we are seeing on the field? I see a front four creating no pressure. I see a front four that should be able to pressure anyone in the country, problem is, are they being asked to?

When the Linebackers are getting burned all day in man coverage shouldn't you adjust? This isn't the first game this has happened.

If youre playing two deep safeties, can we press coverage with our corners a bit? Maybe once in awhile?

Can we blitz? Maybe fake a blitz. Maybe march ten guys right up to the line and then bring four? just to stay in the QB's head?

This is just basic stuff isn't it? Everyone else does it.

• Fire 1

We rush four all game....kind of easy to double team our defensive line. If your not creating pressure with four in Bo's scheme, it really falters. Why do we not adjust when this is happening? If the LB'ers are not responding, do we just continue to do what we are doing until they figure it out or you think the coaches should help them? I'm asking you. To me, you don't just keep doing what's not working, but I'm aware you don't exactly think the way I do.

McBride before 94....geezus, this again.

McBride fielded some good defenses that didn't win titles guy. Good lord.

Can we look past numbers, stats, trophies, blah blah blah, and look at what we are seeing on the field? I see a front four creating no pressure. I see a front four that should be able to pressure anyone in the country, problem is, are they being asked to?

When the Linebackers are getting burned all day in man coverage shouldn't you adjust? This isn't the first game this has happened.

If youre playing two deep safeties, can we press coverage with our corners a bit? Maybe once in awhile?

Can we blitz? Maybe fake a blitz. Maybe march ten guys right up to the line and then bring four? just to stay in the QB's head?

This is just basic stuff isn't it? Everyone else does it.

We don't just rush the front four all the time. McMullen was in pass coverage on at least two incompletions yesterday. They stood out because the replay showed them more than once. With Gregory back, more packages will be disguised and more blitz packages will be utilized because the versatility is there. I will very openly say I understand Pelini's concern with our LBs. In my opinion, the three defenders who didn't have a good day yesterday were Bando, Santos and Davie.

If I had to say my biggest issues is one, the responsibility place on a MLB'er who is apparently struggling. Thats great that the scheme can create huge numbers for our linebackers. So what happens when it doesn't ?

I don't like the fact that we rarely use any press coverage at all, and I mean ever.

I don't like the fact that we seem to have a linebacker in man coverage constantly against running backs who are much faster.

I don't like the fact that we rarely blitz, yet when we do, it works.

I hate a defensive line scheme in which a d-linemen is not shooting gaps and trying to get upfield.

I hate read and react, I'd much rather impose our plan and make the offense react. I believe a defensive line should try to get upfield and make plays in the backfield.

I believe in a defense that applies pressure on an opposing offense to be perfect, not pressuring themselves to be perfect.

I believe a college QB will make plenty of mistakes if you make him make quick decisions. If you give him time, he can kill you.

I believe in rush ends.

I don't believe in playing scared, trying to avoid the big play. Most likely, if you attack, the big play will be a turnover. We create none.

I like agressive safety play.

I like a stunting defensive line.

I like deception. Inestad of lining up man over man giving an opposing offense a clear look at your formation, run eight guys up to the line of scrimmage, at the snap of the ball, only rush three. Give the same look the next series, and bring all eight.

Keep them guessing. McBride style. Not wholesale changes on every snap depending on the look the offense is giving you. Keep it simple.

Bingo. My two biggest grips with the scheme. To me they often seem perpetually confused and scrambling around to adjust and figure out their responsibilities pre-snap. So of course we don't have the luxury of having them stunt or fake blitzes, which is a shame because that really does get in some QBs heads and rattle them pretty bad. Confusion is a huge ally for a defense against an offense. After all, a QBs chief responsibility when passing is to progress through his reads-- anything to delay that would be beneficial.

And of course, we force very few turnovers. I made a post saying as much above.

Beyond that, our scheme seems far too vanilla. It draws a lot from Bo's NFL experience, in that he prefers to always keep two safeties deep and seems averse to blitzes. Which is a shame. Because, with the exception of the Seahawks, Niners, and a few other teams here and there, NFL defense is a damn bore to watch. Our defense has become that too.

@swmckewonOWH: Participation reports aren't perfect, but according to it, NU played 57 guys. 1 backup DT. 0 backup DEs. And there's 4 frosh redshirting?

@swmckewonOWH: Back to NU's DL: I dunno full list of who's hurt and who isn't. We'll ask. But you got 13 scholarship DLs, I think 3 played all 71 snaps.

I was curious about this, I remember thinking I wasn't seeing any different d linemen in the game..

We rush four all game....kind of easy to double team our defensive line.

This is completely false. We brought extra guys fairly often. They were just getting rid of the ball quickly so we weren't getting there. Actually, most of the time we would have been better off not blitzing because they were throwing it right where the blitzer came from.

Obviously the scheme does work...against certain offenses. Bo shuts down MSU each season (although that's not too hard) and we've seen him shut down some really good offenses.

Turnovers...that 03 defense created tons of them so clearly the scheme can. I guess it's the playmakers that are missing...I don't know.

I'm still troubled at the consistent ups and downs in attitude and approach. When Solich was fired he said he took a year off and went around to various teams/coaches in the ncaa and nfl and just learned and it really helped him update his approach. This is purely speculation but sometimes I get the feeling that Bo Pelini is just tired of his job. We all get that way at work sometimes. Just a thought. I really wish he would have hired coaches with more experience to take the load off his responsibilites...

I still haven't watched the entire game yet (only the first 3 quarters), but here's what I've learned:

-My expectations for this team still have not changed. This is still the best team we've had in a long time here. This game just looked like they weren't mentally prepared to play the game. There is absolutely no excuse for that, but I believe that the strong leadership on this team will get it turned around.

-Pierson-El is going to take a PR back to the house sometime. I hope we stick with him there, because he looks good.

-Tim Beck appeared to have learned against FAU, but his play calling looked very familiar, and he continues to misuse our run game and goes away from it too easily. McNeese's defense shot gaps really well and stuffed our run a couple times, but he's still got to stick to the power run game.

-The defense is still going to be excellent. We are dying to get RG4 back, but the speed in the back 7 and the stout front 4 are impressive.

-Nate Gerry is a beast.

-Banderas appears to have his hands full. I miss Michael Rose.

-Tommy continues to surprise me with his speed and shiftiness.

-Tommy has flashes where he makes NFL caliber throws, and other times, he makes you think "What the hell are you doing?!" I definitely have patience with him and confidence that he will continue to improve in the passing game, but he needs to grow quickly or there are some defenses that will make him pay for some of those errant throws.

-The coaches had a decent game plan it seemed, but lack of effort and execution didn't make it work. Our offense has said that their goal this year is to stay on schedule, and that didn't happen this game.

-Thank GOD for Ameer Abdullah.

That Tim Beck is the luckiest coach on the face of the planet.

FIFY

I'm old enough to remember when Bo's problem was Shawn Watson and when Callahan's problems went beyond Cosgrove.

I will take your im old enough and raise you this:

I am old enough to remember Tom Osborne at:

1973[6]Nebraska 9–2–1 4–2–1 T-2nd W Cotton 11T 7 1974 Nebraska 9–3 5–2 T-2nd W Sugar 9 8 1975 Nebraska 10–2 6–1 T-1st L Fiesta 9 9 1976 Nebraska 9–3–1 4–3 T-4th W Bluebonnet 7 9 1977 Nebraska 9–3 5–2 T-2nd W Liberty 10 12 1978 Nebraska 9–3 6–1 T-1st L Orange 8 8 1979 Nebraska 10–2 6–1 2nd L Cotton 7 9 1980[7]Nebraska 10–2 6–1 2nd W Sun 7 7 1981 Nebraska 9–3 7–0 1st L Orange 9 1

Compare to Bo

2008 Nebraska 9–4 5–3 T–1st (North) W Gator 2009 Nebraska 10–4 6–2 1st (North) W Holiday 14 14 2010 Nebraska 10–4 6–2 T–1st (North) L Holiday 19 20 Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big Ten Conference) (2011–present) 2011 Nebraska 9–4 5–3 3rd (Legends) L Capital One 24 24 2012 Nebraska 10–4 7–1 1st (Legends) L Capital One 23 25 2013 Nebraska 9–4 5–3 T–2nd (Legends) W Gator 25

Rome was not built in a day. As long as the Bo train is moving forward im good. Now bo does not have conference champs that Tom did, but at same time give him some more time.

Question I would propose to all those who say the sky is falling. How long did it take Tom to get a national championship as head coach? How long prior to TO taking HC did we have one? How long before Toms NC and our last NC? Thats right is it not? TO took over a recent NC team and had a dry spell for 20 years, yet we do not remember him as a villian. Lets keep firing head coaches for sucess maybe we can get a little league coach to take over? I truely believe this is the year NU will win the Big Ten, yes it is a weak year for the Big Ten, but we might be able to use the momentum to spring us forward into a better football club.

http://thegazette.com/2013/11/26/an-8-3-mark-more-trash-than-treasure-in-nebraska/

Ferentz did not want the job after Solich was fired.

We rush four all game....kind of easy to double team our defensive line.

This is completely false. We brought extra guys fairly often. They were just getting rid of the ball quickly so we weren't getting there. Actually, most of the time we would have been better off not blitzing because they were throwing it right where the blitzer came from.

That is the problem. When we "bring pressure," it typically mean one extra guy. A blitz to this team often means bringing 5 and that's it. We never load up and play tight man and rush 7. With our athletes your not leaving a lot to chance because it means a lot of one-on-one match ups where the best athlete usually wins. What more could you want?

We don't have to do it all the time, but I only remember one time where we blitzed multiple linebackers toward the end of the 4th quarter.