Let's avoid meltdown mode for once...

corncraze

We played even with, and sometimes worse than, an FCS team. While McNeese deserves credit for playing their asses off and making some big plays when it mattered, Nebraska should not ever be in danger of losing to an FCS team. Not ever. Losing focus does happen in college football to just about every team...but it happens to this team (Pelini's Huskers) far, far too often. And to such a devastating extent that we nearly lose to an FCS team. Justify it all you want, but it has been going on for too long.

not an FCS team, the current #6 FCS team...how many teams on our schedule are better than a #6 FCS school? i'd guess a few at least..

I hope it was just a rough game ....but it seems to be recurring theme about game 2 each year

Yep. Year 7 and the same crap. I don't mind getting owned by an FCS school. I can wait. I mean its not like we're Nebraska and should expect more from our coaches.........

Really? Owned? While I think McNeese played a pretty good game and was somewhat unlucky not to win or at least get to overtime, Nebraska won the game.

If you watched that game and didn't feel mcneese owned us and you're actually satisfied getting the W.........well I don't even know how to think like that. The delusion and excuses and lowered standards have me befuddled. What the f#*k ever happened to excellence and dominance? Has it been that long that so many have become comfortably numb?

We played even with, and sometimes worse than, an FCS team. While McNeese deserves credit for playing their asses off and making some big plays when it mattered, Nebraska should not ever be in danger of losing to an FCS team. Not ever. Losing focus does happen in college football to just about every team...but it happens to this team (Pelini's Huskers) far, far too often. And to such a devastating extent that we nearly lose to an FCS team. Justify it all you want, but it has been going on for too long.

not an FCS team, the current #6 FCS team...how many teams on our schedule are better than a #6 FCS school? i'd guess a few at least..

I hope it was just a rough game ....but it seems to be recurring theme about game 2 each year

To be fair, I think it's quite disappointing to not beat a FCS team handily, regardless of their ranking, but, I will say that McNeese is probably a better team than FAU.

Yep. Year 7 and the same crap. I don't mind getting owned by an FCS school. I can wait. I mean its not like we're Nebraska and should expect more from our coaches.........

Really? Owned? While I think McNeese played a pretty good game and was somewhat unlucky not to win or at least get to overtime, Nebraska won the game.

Huskers owned the final scoreboard. McNeese owned the whole second half. In Lincoln. And they are an FCS school.

My beef is with the hyperbolic "owned". Both teams scored 10 points in the second half. Huskers won the game. I can understand saying that McNeese out-played the Huskers at various parts of the game, but no where did I see them "own" the game.

What I see is the Huskers scratched out a win despite playing mediocre/poorly. McNeese played well but not great - fewer dropped passes or better tackling and they likely get the win or at least into overtime.

The good news, although I know with these coaches it's not much to hang your hat on, is that Nebraska is still in control of their destiny, really, and they can still have a great season.

I'm not saying this wasn't a terrible performance. It was. Inexcusable. But, we didn't lose, and so either the team can dwell on this in a bad way and let it hinder them, or use it as a lesson.

McNeese didn't come close to owning us. We were the far better team on the field today. But we called this game (and had a few bad errors on the way) in a way that almost let them get away with a stunning upset.

As it happened, they didn't, and we escaped with a scare.

Teams that are superior like Nebraska clearly is can't be messing around and flirting with danger like that. You wonder when the staff will learn...

But, yeah. While it was a scare, we still had the better team on the field. In most cases. OL and LB get negatives for their work today.

• Fire 2

If you watched that game and didn't feel mcneese owned us and you're actually satisfied getting the W.........well I don't even know how to think like that. The delusion and excuses and lowered standards have me befuddled. What the f#*k ever happened to excellence and dominance? Has it been that long that so many have become comfortably numb?

I didn't feel McNeese owned us nor am I satisfied with the win - those aren't the same thing and I can have different opinions on each. You're probably befuddled about the "delusion and excuses and lowered standards" because everyone is not forced to agree with your opinions. You simply view what others consider to be valid reasons as "excuses".

IMO you're still remembering past years of college football where upsets by smaller schools were extremely rare and have not accepted that parity is real and affects every team including NU. I could call your views "delusional" and your standards "unreasonable", but it would just make you defensive and serve no real point.

That doesn't make me defensive and is actually a reasonable rebuttal. But it still doesn't change my opinion that it was and should be considered substandard and unacceptable. If this is now Nebraska football and we are supposed to accept it, I don't want to have anything to do with it. Putting one in the win column, in that fashion, against fcs McNeese, means absolutely nothing to me. I mean nothing. Unreasonable? Quite possibly, but I've got way better things to do with my time, caring, and effort than to act like that team accomplished something of importance today. I've got nothing but the word pathetic to describe it. Sorry if some don't agree or view that as unreasonable. It is what it is.

Here is the stat sheet from the game:

MCN NEB
FIRST DOWNS................... 15 17
Rushing..................... 7 7
Passing..................... 7 9
Penalty..................... 1 1
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 45-178 33-195
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 160 242
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 26-12-1 31-16-1
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 71-338 64-437
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 3-19 5-52
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 4-65 5-126
Interception Returns-Yards.... 1-98 1-0
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 8-39.4 6-51.2
Fumbles-Lost.................. 1-0 1-0
Penalties-Yards............... 6-44 5-40
Possession Time............... 34:52 25:08
Third-Down Conversions........ 5 of 17 4 of 13
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 2 of 2 1 of 2
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 3-3 3-4
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 1-2 1-2

Maybe no "owned", but they sure as hell came about :40 from doing it if not for AA's run. Take away that 58 yrs hail mary run and they out rushed the vaunted Red Storm.

I see no silver lining in this "win". We allowed an FCS team to hang with, humiliate, embarrass and almost beat us. If some of y'all are ok with this, great. I am not. I have been a fan far to long to excuse this away with parity, every team has a down game etc......

Only 1 game fellas, 1 game. Even very good teams can have close, head scratcher games....period. NEB has a whole season ahead of them. It would be foolish for fans to already pack it in.

The issue is that this has happened over several seasons. We've seen this story before.
Yeah. You can't expect us to be as calm as we were the first time.