*** 2017 Recruiting ***

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, but....

Alex Parrella is a 6'4" 215 LB/TE that is uncommited.

Could he walk-on without a scholarship? My understanding is he could be a walk-on as long as he doesn't see the field...Once he plays, he would have to be considered on scholarship. Correct or not?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4454764/alex-parrella

That's for scholarships the university gives out not pertaining to football. Examples being dual sport players or guys on academic scholarships. Essentially you can't be on a baseball scholarship or academic scholarship play snaps in football and not count towards the 85. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

But doesn't it work the same since his dad is going to be a University Employee, meaning free or reduced tuition?

I believe that is right as the cost per semester hour for employee's is really low. Something like $40.00 a credit hour or less, I can't remember as it was discussed a few years back when all of the Cotton's were getting scholarships and some were saying that Barney could pay for it and save the school scholarships to use on other recruits.

Good read on both Gebbia and Coan.

Gebbia, listed at 6-foot-3, 180 pounds (but frankly shorter and skinnier than that) visits Nebraska Monday. He's the quarterback for Calabasas wideout and Husker receiver target Keyshawn Johnson, Jr. Gebbia has already visited Lincoln before, and he recently visited Ole Miss, among other schools. Gebbia told Rivals' South Carolina site that he'd visit the Gamecocks after that program offered him recently, and he also take a tour of some other southern schools. Gebbia has a rocket arm. It's his best attribute.

Coan, a 6-foot-4, 215-pounder, hails from Long Island, and, according to Husker Online, intends to visit March 17. Coan had originally planned to visit for Nebraska's spring game. Coan is taking his own tour of schools -- mostly in the Big Ten and the northeast. Coan is taller, more mobile than Gebbia, but possessing a weaker arm.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/recruiting-qb-sweepstakes-heats-up-between-tristian-gebbia-and-jack/article_b8f588f2-e478-11e5-a8a6-137232abfd1e.html

• Fire 1

Gebbia, listed at 6-foot-3, 180 pounds (but frankly shorter and skinnier than that) visits Nebraska Monday. He's the quarterback for Calabasas wideout and Husker receiver target Keyshawn Johnson, Jr. Gebbia has already visited Lincoln before, and he recently visited Ole Miss, among other schools. Gebbia told Rivals' South Carolina site that he'd visit the Gamecocks after that program offered him recently, and he also take a tour of some other southern schools. Gebbia has a rocket arm. It's his best attribute.

Coan, a 6-foot-4, 215-pounder, hails from Long Island, and, according to Husker Online, intends to visit March 17. Coan had originally planned to visit for Nebraska's spring game. Coan is taking his own tour of schools -- mostly in the Big Ten and the northeast. Coan is taller, more mobile than Gebbia, but possessing a weaker arm.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/recruiting-qb-sweepstakes-heats-up-between-tristian-gebbia-and-jack/article_b8f588f2-e478-11e5-a8a6-137232abfd1e.html

OK...so I'll ask the question I have been pondering since I posted this.

Gebbia is maybe shorter than 6'3" but has a rocket for an arm.

Coan is 6'4" 215 lbs but doesn't have the arm strength but is also more mobile.

Just knowing that and assuming it is all true, which do you prefer? I guess I'm a little concerned about Gebbia's height. He could always still grow some. I do like the fact of a more mobile QB in Coan.

Just knowing that and assuming it is all true, which do you prefer? I guess I'm a little concerned about Gebbia's height. He could always still grow some. I do like the fact of a more mobile QB in Coan.

Being a Russell Wilson fan, his height doesn't bother me, but the mobility is a slight concern. The lack of mobility can be countered by being a smart QB. Just my 2¢

Height is a nice thing to have, but lack of height doesn't really mean anything. Within our own program, Martinez, Armstrong, Ganz, Zac Taylor, none of these guys were all that tall. Bigger picture, look at Drew Brees, Russel Wilson, Doug Flutie, Michael Vick, Johnny Manziel, Colt McCoy, Kellen Moore, etc.

We don't have an abundance of taller receivers to hit on deep routes although I realize we are recruiting several. The shorter possession receivers we do have will be open on the underneath routes and will look for seams. Whatever Qb can find those receivers is fine with me. Whether that is in the pocket or on a rollout.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***