*** 2017 Recruiting ***

I see what you're saying, but I'm guessing any HS DTs wouldn't be able to provide depth in Fall 17, as they'd most likely redshirt. After this season we have just four scholly DTs, with Newell, Stoltenberg and the Davises, none of which have proven anything yet. We won't have any seniors at the position that year either, because Curry left and VV didn't redshirt, IIRC.

BTW, love that you keep this up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zWWql_2Msb4BpObcRUdvfJUghW10MXbxGav4Z2TZfYU/edit#gid=1595977448

I see what you're saying, but I'm guessing any HS DTs wouldn't be able to provide depth in Fall 17, as they'd most likely redshirt. After this season we have just four scholly DTs, with Newell, Stoltenberg and the Davises, none of which have proven anything yet. We won't have any seniors at the position that year either, because Curry left and VV didn't redshirt, IIRC.

BTW, love that you keep this up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zWWql_2Msb4BpObcRUdvfJUghW10MXbxGav4Z2TZfYU/edit#gid=1595977448

Yeah, it's always a bit of speculation. But Stoltenberg played some last year and they were close to burning one of the Davis' redhsirts. So the coaches already thought they could contribute last year. I'm hoping that means they're not that far off.

I do try to keep that updated. But apparently I need to get my 2017 tab added now.

Both the coaches and Rivals have stated the staff will be taking 3 TE's, 1 QB, 3 OT's, and 3 DT's in this class. From rumblings I am hearing they would like one of those DT's and TE's to be JUCO's due to a lack of upperclassmen at those 2 positions. They'd like to balance the classes more.

I haven't heard anything on numbers of receivers but I know they have 2 committed and are still going after more. They will take at least 3, maybe 4-5 if they get the right ones. Coach Williams said he hasn't been told what to cap it at.

I don't think they take more than 1 RB with Ozigbo, Wilbon, and Tre all here next year.

We know they need pass rushing ends and they have thrown a lot of offers out. You'd think they take 2.

They want 3 LBers.

I'm also told they would like to take a kicker since Jamie Sutcliffe will be a senior this year and Drew Brown only has 1 year left after this year. They'd like someone to redshirt under Drew and be mentored for a year, but that is a luxury and they could wait till next year if they need the spot at another position.

Both the coaches and Rivals have stated the staff will be taking 3 TE's, 1 QB, 3 OT's, and 3 DT's in this class. From rumblings I am hearing they would like one of those DT's and TE's to be JUCO's due to a lack of upperclassmen at those 2 positions. They'd like to balance the classes more.

I haven't heard anything on numbers of receivers but I know they have 2 committed and are still going after more. They will take at least 3, maybe 4-5 if they get the right ones. Coach Williams said he hasn't been told what to cap it at.

I don't think they take more than 1 RB with Ozigbo, Wilbon, and Tre all here next year.

We know they need pass rushing ends and they have thrown a lot of offers out. You'd think they take 2.

They want 3 LBers.

I'm also told they would like to take a kicker since Jamie Sutcliffe will be a senior this year and Drew Brown only has 1 year left after this year. They'd like someone to redshirt under Drew and be mentored for a year, but that is a luxury and they could wait till next year if they need the spot at another position.

Uhhh, what do we call Lightbourne in regards to a kicker?

Was thinking this class may be about 24 earlier. But we added a couple guys (Lee and Williams) so we have 19 open spots plus 3 so 22 is the number for now.

Kind of seemed like there should be some more interests to list but I really didn't find a whole lot more that have really showed significant interest. I'm sure there are more, just not sure who.

Priority:
OT - There will only be five scholarship OTs left after this year and two will be seniors.
DT - Only four left after this year. Behind by not taking one last year. For sure need two.
QB - Need to keep adding depth
DE - Numbers aren't bad but really need some game-changers
TE - Only three after this year but at least they're young.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - Tristan Gebbia
RB - 1 -

FB - 0-1 - Ben Miles
WR - 3-4 - KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Jr., JAEVON McQUITTY, Jamire Calvin, Nick Pickett, Maruice Bell, Taariq Johnson, Jeremiah Hawkins
TE - 2-3 - Austin Allen
OT - 2-3 - Mark Kallenberger, Alan Ali, Brenden Jaimes, Blaise Andries
OG/C - 1-2 -

DT - 2-3 - Isaiah Johnson (JUCO)
DE - 1-2 -
LB - 2-3 - WILLIE HAMPTON, Avery Roberts
CB - 1-2 - Darnay Holmes, Jamarri Jackson, Deommodore Lenoir
S - 1-2 -

ATH - 1-2 - Roshauud Paul, Dalton Keene,

Edited by Mavric
Updated

They want 3 LBers.

Uhhh, what do we call Lightbourne in regards to a kicker?

He's only being brought in to punt and is training under Sam. He may also do kickoffs but will not be a fg kicker.

RB Stephen Carr though committed to USC has expressed interest

"Expressed interest" is a pretty loose term. It's tough to know where to draw the line but I like to keep it to guys who I feel pretty confident are seriously interested. For me, that generally means either setting a visit date, having visited or at least made some sort of Top 5/10. "Wanting to visit" doesn't cut it. As we've seen today, recruits can talk things up pretty good - even after visiting - and quickly jump ship.

That's fine if others want to have a bigger list. But that's mine (for now).

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***