*** 2017 Recruiting ***

I think a lot agree with you at some level.

I also had thought recruiting might have a larger quantity of commits by now. My guess is since we are in with a lot of high level recruits that have some other strong offers from top programs that they are taking their time to see how our season plays out. In the end, I believe that we will take away more (4:1) top recruits from other programs then what will leave NU for another program

As you all seem to feel I am completely wrong in believing we are going to have a great recruiting class and even a good season this fall (my reasons are plenty and therefore criticize most everything I offer, I will only say that I am actually slightly disappointed by the class thus far as I really thought we'd have several more commits by now. I am still very bullish and would say that we will snatch away a couple high rated guys from schools they are committed.

I think a lot agree with you at some level.

I also had thought recruiting might have a larger quantity of commits by now. My guess is since we are in with a lot of high level recruits that have some other strong offers from top programs that they are taking their time to see how our season plays out. In the end, I believe that we will take away more (4:1) top recruits from other programs then what will leave NU for another program

The current size of our class is one thing I am not bearish on. Having 7 (possibly to be 8 by Saturday) at this point in time is pretty good for us historically. Usually we start slow because it's hard to convince guys to pay their way to come out here for unofficials. Keep in mind these guys haven't even started their senior season yet.

• Fire 1

With our 7 commits right now, what are our top 3 areas of need?

Same as they've been for awhile now: DE, DT, OT

Assuming we land Deonte Thomas soon (fingers crossed) will we push harder for JUCO Isaiah Johnson or would we rather a HS recruit?

My guess is they'll look to take one JUCO DT. Though it could also work out the same as LB did last year - we thought we needed a JUCO at the beginning of the season but after seeing how some of the guys we already had developed, we decided we didn't need one after all.

• Fire 1

NU intends to recruit up to five more d-linemen for its class of 2017, Mark Banker said this week.

Deontre Thomas, of Mustang, Oklahoma, committed Saturday. The Huskers likely will try to land two more interior tackles and perhaps three ends, said Banker, the team's defensive coordinator.
Finding long and lean pass-rushers at end is obviously a priority.
"You've got young guys like DaiShon Neal and Alex Davis -- you're looking for someone of that length," Banker said.
Neal, a redshirt freshman, is 6-foot-7, 270 pounds, while Davis, also a redshirt freshman, is 6-5, 255. They're pushing for playing time behind projected starters Freedom Akinmoladun (6-4, 255, sophomore) and Ross Dzuris (6-3, 255, senior).
"We might even take at least one guy who's lighter -- someone who we could tell, 'OK, it's third down, sic 'em,'" Banker said. "We did that at Oregon State with a couple guys. All they did their junior years was come in on third down. That was it."

LJS

Updated commits and started tweaking the numbers I think we'll take.

Priority:
OT - There will only be five scholarship OTs left after this year and two will be seniors.
DT - Only four left after this year. Behind by not taking one last year. For sure need two.
DE - Numbers aren't bad but really need some game-changers
TE - Only three after this year but at least they're young.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - TRISTAN GEBBIA
RB - 1 - Kylin Hill
FB - 0-1 - Ben Miles
WR - 4 - KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Jr., JAEVON McQUITTY, Jamire Calvin, Nick Pickett, Maruice Bell, Jeremiah Hawkins, Tyjon Lindsey
TE - 2-3 - AUSTIN ALLEN
OT - 2-3 - BRENDEN JAIMES, Ryan Nelson, Matt Sichterman, Broc Bando
OG/C - 1-2 -

DT - 2-3 - DEONTRE THOMAS, Isaiah Johnson (JUCO)

DE - 2-3 - Guy Thomas, Jacob Lichtenstein
LB - 3 - WILLIE HAMPTON, AVERY ROBERTS, Nadarius Fagan, Rahyme Johnson
CB - 1-2 - Darnay Holmes, Jamarri Jackson, Deommodore Lenoir
S - 1-2 -

Edited by Mavric
  • Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***