*** 2017 Recruiting ***

With a couple more early exits recently, we could take up to 24 at this point. I think I have this list pretty well caught up with the changes.

Priority:

DT - Only four left after this year. Behind by not taking one last year. For sure need two.

TE - Only three after this year but at least they're young.

DB - Our roster isn't in bad shape but we don't have any commits there yet.

OT - Sitting well now with two commits - Put Bando at Guard for now because we're still looking for another OT.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - TRISTAN GEBBIA

RB - 1 - Jamari Peacock, Daniel Young

FB - 0-1 - BEN MILES

WR - 4 - KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Jr., JAEVON McQUITTY, Jamire Calvin, Joseph Lewis

TE - 3 - AUSTIN ALLEN, REESE LEITAO, Kurt Rafdal

OT - 3 - BRENDEN JAIMES, MATT SICHTERMAN, Ryan Nelson, Aaron Banks, Austin Jackson, Foster Sarell

OG/C - 1-2 - BROC BANDO

DT - 2-3 - DEONTRE THOMAS, Damion Daniels, Ben Hutch

DE - 1-2 - ROBERT PORCHER, GUY THOMAS, Martin Andrus

LB - 3 - WILLIE HAMPTON, AVERY ROBERTS, Rahyme Johnson

CB - 1-2 - Darnay Holmes, Jaylon Redd, Gentry Bonds, TraJon Cotton, Elijah Gates, Thomas Graham

S - 1-2 - Jaylen Kelly-Powell, Nick Pickett

Obviously, if we land all of the ones shown (reds and blues), that's about 35! Way over the limit so there are plenty of priorities and not enough room. Our wants and needs are far above our capacity. Assume the coaches have the order of preference and the ones they hope will commit first eliminating the rest. The prospects better hurry up and get aboard as the train is leaving the station. Have to say that 35 would be an incredible class and put the Huskers well on the road to recovery.

I know we offered a few JUCO TE's but nothing came about...do you think we are good now that we got Leitao?

We would have zero playing time at this point going into the 17' season

Snyder - RSo

Engelhaupt - RFr

Stoll - RFr

Leitao - Fr

Roster should look like that going into next year. Still think we need another TE.

You forgot Allen (he's still projecting to TE, right?). But if he's sitting out all of this year then slim chance he contributes next year.

I think a ready to play Juco or grad transfer TE will be needed in a bad way.

Yes, and I agree. A TE ready to go will more than likely be needed, escpecially in blocking situations.

Hoppes is a walkon that has gotten good pub lately, apparently a good athlete, will be a Sr. next year and a good candidate for a scholly IMO. Assuming the reports on Hoppes are correct, I am not sure the staff needs to press hard for a 3rd TE at this point unless it is a stud.

I know we offered a few JUCO TE's but nothing came about...do you think we are good now that we got Leitao?

We would have zero playing time at this point going into the 17' season

Snyder - RSo

Engelhaupt - RFr

Stoll - RFr

Leitao - Fr

Roster should look like that going into next year. Still think we need another TE.

You forgot Allen (he's still projecting to TE, right?). But if he's sitting out all of this year then slim chance he contributes next year.

I think a ready to play Juco or grad transfer TE will be needed in a bad way.

Yes, and I agree. A TE ready to go will more than likely be needed, escpecially in blocking situations.

Hoppes is a walkon that has gotten good pub lately, apparently a good athlete, will be a Sr. next year and a good candidate for a scholly IMO. Assuming the reports on Hoppes are correct, I am not sure the staff needs to press hard for a 3rd TE at this point unless it is a stud.

Im with you on this one. I really don't think we need that 3rd TE in this class. They identified who they wanted from the beginning at TE it seems and after landing them both to go along with the other youth mentioned above and the walk-ons that have worked their way onto the depth chart, I actually think we are sitting pretty well. Focus the resources on some of these big fish coming in and go from there.

I think the plan has always been to take three.

But I think it might now depend on how this season goes. We have three walk-ons ahead of Snyder on the depth chart, so I would think at least a couple of them will be getting some snaps. If one of them shows some promise, a third might not be needed.

I think you always look at tight ends as having alternative positions as options. Often they make fine LBs and DEs. Some even turn into DTs. If they are fast enough, you can move them out to play more of true receiver spot to create some big vs small mismatches. Especially on the those fades into the corner of the end zone or something. Always recruit great athletes and tight ends are often the best athlete on the team, pound for pound.

I think you always look at tight ends as having alternative positions as options. Often they make fine LBs and DEs. Some even turn into DTs. If they are fast enough, you can move them out to play more of true receiver spot to create some big vs small mismatches. Especially on the those fades into the corner of the end zone or something. Always recruit great athletes and tight ends are often the best athlete on the team, pound for pound.

I hear they make good QBs too. Need some Tebow time.

I hear they make good QBs too. Need some Tebow time.

Oh, don't forget they make excellent punters too, because they can chase down the punter returner really easily after a booming punt! Also they make fine special teams players in general, so you can just put them at whatever position in need!

Back to crutin' I say only take a really good TE or else give the scholly to a different position. If we take another TE we should probably go after a really great blocking one to help out the run game.

But I think it might now depend on how this season goes. We have three walk-ons ahead of Snyder on the depth chart, so I would think at least a couple of them will be getting some snaps. If one of them shows some promise, a third might not be needed.

Nate Clouse said on 1620 today that staff did/does want 3, but 3 different types and Miles as the H-Back/FB apparently counts in that 3 along with Leito and Allen. So he thinks the staff has hit its quota and doesn't think they will pursue another TE unless it is a top tier prospect like josh Falo who you take no matter what.
  • Fire 1

Nate Clouse said on 1620 today that staff did/does want 3, but 3 different types and Miles as the H-Back/FB apparently counts in that 3 along with Leito and Allen. So he thinks the staff has hit its quota and doesn't think they will pursue another TE unless it is a top tier prospect like josh Falo who you take no matter what.
guess I should have checked this first, posted the same thing in the Rafdal thread

Hm? Apparently many people, who don't make snide comments on this board, think that tight ends can and do play other positions. Nebraska does NOT need 6 tight ends on scholarship. We are short on linemen, QBs, RBs, already.

Yeah, now that you say that I think I've heard that before as well.

Thanks.

Okay, well I would hope so and agree.

But, the info I got came at about 9:00 PM. Changes could occur over 8 hours. Hope you're right though! Like I said, the rumor wasn't that he isn't coming, it was that he might not make it.

Are you talking about the one random guy that posted both those things on 247 with no proof and didn't even get a response from anyone?
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***