Something's Rotten in the State of Nebraska.

NUpolo8

seriously? he is demanding a fan fix the problems, with a cheap and pointless sarcasm. like the quality of a coach is contingent on a fan's ability to replace him. and where does he get 11? i would be happy with a coach that could just win 9 games, but avoid embarrassments in wins and losses.

Ah.....the good ol' moving goalposts. Where did I get 11? From your post.......referring to a ceiling higher than 10 wins. 11 is the next number higher than 10. Who's done it and how you gonna get 'em?

a coach could not win 10+ where they are currently at and could still win 10+ at nebraska. we have pretty good resources and a pretty weak schedule.

F'ing amazing post, Polo. I'll add this:

As I look around college football, I see two types of coaches: Those whose schemes make good players great and those whose schemes make great players good. Stanford, Oregon, Mike Leach's Texas Tech teams are examples of simple, focused schemes that make good players great. Callahan and Pelini's schemes are examples of schemes that hold their talent back.

I just get the feeling that the talent that comes through Lincoln (and actually stays) is being held back because of the coaching staff and schemes. Don't you feel in your gut that if a motivated young coach like McNeese State's took over we'd have a 10-2 program in no time? Honesty, I'm tired of being jealous of 1-AA programs' coaching staffs whose teams of mediocre athletes come into Memorial and manage to hang with NU by executing a disciplined game plan and simple, focused schemes to perfection.

We need to face the music. Our teams are mentally and physically weak. We suffer far too many non-contact injuries and looks weak and tired late in games. We constantly seem to lack fire. We play sloppy, mistake-prone football and are frequently out executed even by small but well-coached programs. We are often out coached and it shows in our failure to make in-game adjustments.

The only thing holding us back now is not the coaching staff. It's the fans and the members of the administration who refuse to concede the obvious and will therefore keep this program in the dark ages until we clean house and start anew.

• Fire 1

I was saying this last week, and I'm still saying it now - no Husker team in recent memory was capable of doing what we did to FAU in the first three quarters. This week's performance doesn't erase that fact. But last week doesn't erase the fact that we pretty much sh#t the bed this week (even though I do think McNeese was better, or at least played better, than most expected).

We all know nobody is getting fired in the middle of the season. Even though I wouldn't mind seeing Beck go tomorrow, it's not going to happen. And I'm curious to see how far this current group can be taken this season, because not only is this team capable of being pretty damn impressive, but they've already proved it once for an entire game. So let's see which was the fluke.

The 2007 team was absolutely capable of doing what you described. They essentially did it to Nevada then needed a miracle to beat Wake Forest.

Well hey, that 2007 had some pretty good talent!

F'ing amazing post, Polo. I'll add this:

As I look around college football, I see two types of coaches: Those whose schemes make good players great and those whose schemes make great players good. Stanford, Oregon, Mike Leach's Texas Tech teams are examples of simple, focused schemes that make good players great. Callahan and Pelini's schemes are examples of schemes that hold their talent back.

I just get the feeling that the talent that comes through Lincoln (and actually stays) is being held back because of the coaching staff and schemes. Don't you feel in your gut that if a motivated young coach like McNeese State's took over we'd have a 10-2 program in no time? Honesty, I'm tired of being jealous of 1-AA programs' coaching staffs whose teams of mediocre athletes come into Memorial and manage to hang with NU by executing a disciplined game plan and simple, focused schemes to perfection.

We need to face the music. Our teams are mentally and physically weak. We suffer far too many non-contact injuries and looks weak and tired late in games. We constantly seem to lack fire. We play sloppy, mistake-prone football and are frequently out executed even by small but well-coached programs. We are often out coached and it shows in our failure to make in-game adjustments.

The only thing holding us back now is not the coaching staff. It's the fans and the members of the administration who refuse to concede the obvious and will therefore keep this program in the dark ages until we clean house and start anew.

Good points on the "wasting" of talent. 2009 comes to mind. One of the brst defenses ever but we lost 4 games cuz we couldnt eek out a simple td here or there.

we have pretty good resources and a pretty weak schedule.

There are many universities other than Nebraska who the same holds true for......and they haven't even won 9 games consistently.....which is how we got on a list with Oregon and 'Bama.

9 wins or bust!!!!111!!!11!!!1!!!!!

be nice to be in the top ten with 'bama and oregon someday again.

Did we ever think we'd have a coaching staff so willing to throw its own players under the bus though? This has been a running theme for some time now. At least three years that I'm aware of? I have a hard time with that.

Not too sure what this is from, but I think when coaches criticize players, that's sending a message. It's not a PR misstep the way it is when a player blames another player or the coaches, or, say, if a DC were to take shots at the OC.

I am probably wrong. I always hear that we as fans should be careful in our criticism. To not judge too harshly or come down too hard on what are on 19-22 year old kids playing this beloved game of ours. I guess a coach in front of a microphone to national media saying his game plan was great, his players just didn't "execute" would seem like a rough pill to swallow over time, but what do I know. I'm just a drunk guy sitting on a couch with his iPad on his lap.

Didn't Bo say that they were out-coached and the team needed to take a good hard look in the mirror, starting with him?

• Fire 2

There are many universities other than Nebraska who the same holds true for......and they haven't even won 9 games consistently.....which is how we got on a list with Oregon and 'Bama.

Yes, so can we stop with the talk of how unfathomably endless and infinite our resources are?

We were in 2010!!!!!

Yes, so can we stop with the talk of how unfathomably endless and infinite our resources are?

what?

what?

I for one am surprised North Stadium doesn't collapse in a rainstorm.