What it's really all about - huskerinmissouri's day at the game

I rarely post, and if you want to rip this post apart, please feel free. I wasn't sure where to post this and I figured this was as good as place as any.

I simply wanted to say "thank you" to the folks we sat by in our section as I took my nine year old son to his first Husker game for his birthday. His head just about exploded when he realized that we didn't come from Missouri only to see relatives–he was going to A GAME!

From the moment we stepped into the stadium he was "dad . . . look at that . . . did you see the band . . . there's the coach . . . I see Abdullah . . . I've never seen so much red . . . how many balloons do you think there are?" He watched, he clapped, yelled, and gave high five's to the people around him.

A few minutes into the fourth quarter when things began to become nervously exciting he wasn't standing up anymore. He just sat there. I finally asked him "what's wrong?" His response, "Dad, I need to go . . . now!" "You've got to be kidding me, you can't hold it?" "No, I'm too nervous."

So, as everybody is standing and trying to make some noise, we make our way down the row to the aisle. People were courteous and thoughtful and didn't make the slightest hint of it as being an inconvenience.

We made it to the restroom (which he pretty much had all to himself). He "went" and then we watched on the TV screen until he got nervous and had to go again. We never did make it back to our seats and didn't even try. The best run of the whole game we didn't even get to see "live." But we went crazy and gave high-fives to a couple of the vendors cleaning up.

And what does my son manage to say? "Dad, I'm sorry you didn't get to see that great run, but thanks for one of the best day's I've ever had."

We were in the north stadium at that point and so we quickly ran over to see the players go into the locker room. He managed to get a few high-fives from the players.

We waited a while and then made our way onto the field to get some pictures. Thanks to the kind police officer who was willing to take a few shots of us together.

Last, but not least, we scoured some of the bleachers looking for a souvenir cup and they had all been scooped up. A nice guy who had a bunch of them took one and gave it to my son. It may as well have been a jersey. It topped off the day.

So, I'm not looking to make any kind of point with my post–just wanted to say "thank you" to a whole bunch of folks who made the day really, really memorable for a nine year old kid and his dad. It didn't take him long to fall asleep on the way back to Missouri.

How or why would anyone rip that post apart? That's what it's all about -- making memories and building up the next generation of fans. Glad to hear that your son had a great time. GBR!!

My older son turns five in two weeks. I want to get him to his first game soon.... he will now be the same age that I was when I went to my first game, in 1982. It's an event I've been looking forward to my whole life.

It's hard not to get caught up in the game, but as I have grown older, I've come to appreciate the stadium experience and pageantry as much as anything else, especially since the team stopped being a world beater. In many ways the lack of recent success has actually given me cause to pay more attention to these things, as much as I wish the team was better.

• Fire 1