Reading Between the Lines: Hail Varsity and Tim Beck's Comments

An article from Hail Varsity re: Tim Beck's media comments post-McNeese State debacle:

On Monday, Bo Pelini intimated that a lot of the passing game struggles fell on shoddy play at wide receiver. Beck was asked about that last night:

• "Everybody made mistakes. I wouldn’t say just the receivers. It was surprising because they didn’t make them the first game. I don’t know."

Point No. 1: It’s that last sentence that matters. I’m all for honesty over coach-speak, but “I don’t know” is a dangerous response. You have to know and I’m not sure what to make of saying you don’t. Nebraska pays Beck nearly three-quarters of a million dollars each year to know.

Also

On if the offense got the message after Saturday:

• "I hope so. If they don’t, we’re in for a long year."

Point No. 4: The most distressing answer of all. You can’t hope. Or, rather, you have to minimize how much you’re “hoping” something will happen. (Bolded emphasis mine)

They go further down the rabbit hole here.

I don't care if you're a position coach, head coach, coordinator, the Weinerslinger(sp) operator--you don't *hope* that what your responsible for works, you put work and due diligence in so you trust that it will work correctly. If you're hoping it works, then IMO I'm not sure you're going about things the right way...

That's a lot of freaking out over a couple lines of coachspeak. I don't think there was even a point here, just an author trying to dissect and analyze words because he can.

(and because presumably, he can't analyze anything else.)

It seems pretty typical in language and style of any "I'm a fan, I'm mad, let's throw my fan punches where I can", which none of us is immune to, but I would've expected better from Hail Varsity.

• Fire 2
Nebraska pays Beck nearly three-quarters of a million dollars each year to know.

Nebraska, however, does not pay Tim Beck nearly three-quarters of a million dollars each year to tell the press everything he thinks, knows or hopes.

I read this article and came to the same conclusion as the above comments - there is too much parsing going on here.

• Fire 1

Nebraska pays Beck nearly three-quarters of a million dollars each year to know.

Nebraska, however, does not pay Tim Beck nearly three-quarters of a million dollars each year to tell the press everything he thinks, knows or hopes.

I read this article and came to the same conclusion as the above comments - there is too much parsing going on here.

This..... Haven't we learned yet that the coaches only give short non-descript responses so as not to get their words twisted. The we go ahead and do that anyway. To me theses guys just say whatever they need to say to get out of the interview as quickly as possible without stirring anything up. I don't blame them one bit for that.

• Fire 4

Correct, but it'd be different if he declined to divulge everything to the press and the on the field played backed up his prowess, neither appears to be happening, which is the issue.

An article from Hail Varsity re: Tim Beck's media comments post-McNeese State debacle:

On Monday, Bo Pelini intimated that a lot of the passing game struggles fell on shoddy play at wide receiver. Beck was asked about that last night:

• "Everybody made mistakes. I wouldn’t say just the receivers. It was surprising because they didn’t make them the first game. I don’t know."

Point No. 1: It’s that last sentence that matters. I’m all for honesty over coach-speak, but “I don’t know” is a dangerous response. You have to know and I’m not sure what to make of saying you don’t. Nebraska pays Beck nearly three-quarters of a million dollars each year to know.

That's the problem, he should know. If you don't know then you are not the man for the job. And, talking at pressers is part of the job description just like how it is the job of the press to ask questions when things are fowl.

Correct, but it'd be different if he declined to divulge everything to the press and the on the field played backed up his prowess, neither appears to be happening, which is the issue.

It does happen, we've seen huge days from Beck's offense. It just doesn't happen consistently, which is probably what you're getting at.

worldsworstoutdoorsman nailed it: "Do they really expect the coaches to tell them exactly what they are working with each player on at practice?"

Never has happened, not going to happen, expecting it to happen is a fool's game.

It does happen, we've seen huge days from Beck's offense. It just doesn't happen consistently, which is probably what you're getting at.

worldsworstoutdoorsman nailed it: "Do they really expect the coaches to tell them exactly what they are working with each player on at practice?"

Never has happened, not going to happen, expecting it to happen is a fool's game.

Yes but it didn't work last week, and they have to write about it.

Getting mad at the writers who are just doing their job instead of the guys who, most recently, haven't seems a little silly.

Besides, they all seemed all to eager to talk about their scheme and system and how well it worked after FAU.

Yes, the writers are doing their job. But they should know by now, as they have done many interviews, the responses they are going to receive and the conditions that elicit those responses. Doesn't mean they should not ask those questions. Just know what to expect and don't be "shocked" when you hear the expected answer.

Anybody is going to talk more about something they are proud of than something they aren't proud of.

I don't get what the reporters want out of the coaches during these press conferences. Do they really expect the coaches to tell them exactly what they are working with each player on at practice?

And this little nugget. "College coaching isnt really about scheme." Really?

They want exactly what their customers want who are paying for that paper/magazine/internet blog.