Student Section Has Something Planned

Landlord

Cotton pointed out that he particularly enjoyed the student section’s pregame message to Miami, a multi-sign adaptation of a stunt common in the stands of European soccer stadiums.

Four signs, revealed one-by-one, read: “Welcome. To Your. Worst. Nightmare.” A large banner — spanning 60 feet in length and at its widest point, 60 feet in width — then emerged with the Blackshirts’ skull and crossbones emblem.
About 20 hours of work applying about 20 gallons of paint to trigger a stadium-wide roar.
That was the idea, said Steve Dosskey, a UNL senior majoring in computer sciences who’s also the president of a student group called The Iron N. He and several students, with the help of NU’s athletic department, had been planning this since the spring.
“It was a whole lot of work over the last week and a half ... for just about 60 seconds,” Dosskey said. “But those 60 seconds were amazing.”

OWH

Sign was awesome and all

but

Can we be for real for a second here? Great work by the students painting the signs and executing the idea, but the Athletic Department organized this and put it together, not the students, right? Correct me if I'm wrong...

The athletic department gave it an endorsement and financial backing, but otherwise from what I understand all of the logistics were up to the students to accomplish.

Source: I was the founder and president of the equivalent student group at my college.

I ask because I don't recall having any sort of group or structure to the student section whatsoever while I was there.

I think the Iron N group was officially founded as a university student group in 2011.

Remember the Big Red Anthem thing and the whole 'Take Back Gameday' campaign? I believe that was the infant stages of it and then it went through a namechange the next year (2012 was for certain when the 'Iron N' twitter account was made and they also handed out Iron N rally towels for the Wisconsin Red River Rivalry game).

Oh yeah that's right I do remember now. Yeah 2011 would have been my last semester so by that point I was less engaged in the student section. By year 5 you're more interested in football being a little diversion from classwork, research, and job hunting rather than being a big party and social event. "Taking Back Gameday" was a pretty colossal flop but seems like they're improving and growing if this type of thing is their doing.

I knew that the Iron N existed, but didn't know what they actually were. It's pretty common for Athletic Departments to be secretly behind most stuff like this (I still wouldn't doubt that's the case)

I'm thinking about just going straight to a wheelchair and oxygen tank. Walking and breathing are strenuous!