*** The Official Miami Hurricanes Game Discussion Thread ***

knapplc

Since this home-and-home series was announced in 2008, this game has been circled on the calendars of Husker Fans around the nation. Finally, The U comes to Lincoln. Finally, we get Miami in our house. For the first time since the Hurricanes became nationally relevant they play Nebraska as a true road team.

Prayers for an early winter blizzard have not come to fruition, however - temperatures figure to be in the low 80s to mid-70s with minimal wind through the game. Pretty much perfect football weather.

Miami brings a plethora of speed to this game, more recruiting stars than Nebraska has seen in 15 years, and judging by interactions online, nothing but confidence.

Nebraska is 3-0 after routing Fresno State on the road last week. Road games don't seem to be the problem for Nebraska, though - last year, three of our four losses came at home. This team seems to play better on the road of late, and if they can't get their heads right, this figures to be yet another huge let-down of a game.

Remember 2010 Texas? Garret Gilbert, an unheralded sophomore quarterback brought the Longhorns into Memorial Stadium on a two-game losing streak and beat a bewildered Husker team. The next season Gilbert left Texas, not good enough to hold the starting job.

The enemy isn't always the team across the field. Often, for Nebraska, it's us.

Who will prove tougher to beat tonight, Miami - or ourselves?

I'm a little nervous. We seem to try too hard at home. Kids know that their coach's job is on the line. It's difficult to focus so much energy and effort into just doing your job. They care about Bo, and don't want to let him down, so I can see several players trying to do too much. If the O-Line can just get some push, we should be OK. I don't see da ewe scoring many points. I hope the players don't let the trash talking take them out of their game. I would understand really wanting to shut someone up, but then we are playing into their hands. I'm hoping for gritted teeth and focus on what needs to be done.

I'm a little nervous. We seem to try too hard at home. Kids know that their coach's job is on the line. It's difficult to focus so much energy and effort into just doing your job. They care about Bo, and don't want to let him down, so I can see several players trying to do too much. If the O-Line can just get some push, we should be OK. I don't see da ewe scoring many points. I hope the players don't let the trash talking take them out of their game. I would understand really wanting to shut someone up, but then we are playing into their hands. I'm hoping for gritted teeth and focus on what needs to be done.

Bo's job is NOT on the line today. There is no more pressure in this game than any other game for the players and coaches. Yes, the expectation of winning is there but, it always should be there for Nebraska.y

• Fire 1

Miami has to play a perfect game or close to it to pull of the upset. I'm hoping this is the case but I just don't see it. Not with a true freshman at QB.

Nah perfect isn't necessary. The Pelini regime (still like him just being honest) is capable of handing a football game to almost any team. 8 turnovers in one game...I'd like to say we've seen it all but you never know.

I'm not sure why the Miami fans are so down on their chances. So far we've shown to be a decent football team. No signature wins and one WTH game...

Bo's job is not on the line in game 4 lmao

Typically we start off pretty well in big non-conf games.. WA, UCLA.. Obviously the second half of UCLA was different, but we should have no problem waking up for the U. I see us jumping up 14-0 early, then letting them get momentum with a FG and TD going into half at 14-10, hope I'm wrong.. Second half adjustments critical..

Bo's job is NOT on the line today. There is no more pressure in this game than any other game for the players and coaches. Yes, the expectation of winning is there but, it always should be there for Nebraska.y

I think there is a little more pressure. The BIG 10 has not been looking good this year, so far. The conference needs a signature win against a high profile team in another conference. It's up to NU. It's not necessarily Bo's job on the line, but do the players know that? They have experienced the statewide meltdowns before, after coming up short. I think we saw how much they start gripping when things get dicey at home. McNeese St.

That is one reason I am optimistic about this year. Our toughest games are on the road, where the players seem to be able to cultivate an "us against the world" mentality that they seem to thrive on. Bo needs to find the right things to say or do to get the players confident and focused at home. That is where the whole mantra of "the process" comes from. Just focus on the process and the results will appear.

We, as fans, get to focus on the results. The players need to focus on the process of doing what they are supposed to be doing. I think they worry too much about the end result, and as a result, grip really hard when the crowd gets quiet. They can feel the apprehension that permeates the stadium when the first missed tackle/block or turnover happens.

Performance psychology dictates that the less importance that is placed on a given task, the easier it is to accomplish. I'm usually loathe to bring up the 90s, but I'm sure you've heard about how the practices were the hard part for those teams and gamedays were much easier than the practices. Now, most will mention how hard the practices were and that made the games seem easy. I posit that the practices were so hard because that is where the competition was the toughest, not so much by how physical they were, but if one earned a starting or back-up spot on those teams, then the hard part was accomplished. The game was the reward for the accomplishment of earning a chance to contribute. My understanding was that Tom Osborne would just tell a backup that "You earned this spot this week and I expect you to do your job the way we showed you." or something to that effect. That is such a calming, confidence inspiring thing to say.

I'm not loathe to bring up a golf analogy, but that is where my expertise lies. You've got a 20 foot putt that you need to get down in 2. 2 putts from 20 feet should not be a problem.... on #7 it isn't. But those 2 putts on #18 to break 70 or for a personal best is much more difficult. Woe unto you if you blow it by 4 feet or leave it 5 feet short. Tour pros shoot ridiculous scores during practice rounds, which they rarely replicate in tournaments. Same course, wildly different scores.

It's 90% mental and the other half is physical. Even in football.

All apologies for my nervous energy infused, excessively lengthy, somewhat rambling, probably confusing, posty post.