Sunbelt ref report

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...2/1066/SPORTS18

The Sun Belt Conference admitted its officials might have made four incorrect calls when Nebraska beat Michigan, 32-28, last month in the Alamo Bowl.

A review of the Dec. 28 game in San Antonio was posted this week on the conference Web site, sunbeltsports.org. The review was conducted by the Sun Belt coordinator of officials, a coordinator of officials from a conference not involved in the game and an NFL referee.

"There is much in this report to be proud of, and there is also much in this report that gives us room for improvement," commissioner Wright Waters said in a statement. "We will now use this as a learning experience and continue to try to improve the quality of our officiating program. We remain very confident in the abilities of our officials."

The calls deemed incorrect by at least one of the three reviewers:

A first-quarter run by Nebraska's Cory Ross that should have been ruled a fumble.

A second-quarter Michigan pass that was ruled incomplete but should have been called pass interference.

A fourth-quarter punt to Michigan's Steve Breaston, who was interfered with, but there was no call.

On Michigan's fourth-and-8, fourth-quarter pass to Mario Manningham, where replays showed interference but none was called. That play occurred with 2:39 left.

As for the game's final, lateral-filled play by Michigan, the officials concluded that the calls were correct and "the actions by the players and coaches who came off the sidelines were unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, not illegal participation fouls. Since there was no time left in the game, there was no succeeding spot, thus the game was over. The ruling by the crew was a correct one, but from a public relations standpoint, the referee should have made a postgame announcement that explained the ruling."

By Mark Snyder

This one about the punt interference was my favorite. considering that was the CORRECT call as opposed to the bad call on the earlier punt. the refs knew they were wrong on the first call, and made sure not to make the same mistake on the next opportunity. rehashing of course- but even the announcers read the rule and couldn't figure out how that qualified as an interference penalty.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

Not to mention, only FOUR missed calls according to this panel? that's all they found in that game?! did they actually watch the tape or just the plays UM whined about?

and good thing the article didn't mention this one from the same report: "Quarter 4 – 6:06: Quarterback’s arm is hit from the backside and the Referee correctly rules a fumble, not an incomplete pass". it just wouldn't have fit the print agenda.

but this pretty much legimatizes the whole report right here: "None of the three reviewers found any evidence that the game was too fast for the crew."

yeah, except the game tape itself. that might be pretty good evidence. other than that though....

Report-

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.d...0&ATCLID=227126

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...2/1066/SPORTS18

The Sun Belt Conference admitted its officials might have made four incorrect calls when Nebraska beat Michigan, 32-28, last month in the Alamo Bowl.

A review of the Dec. 28 game in San Antonio was posted this week on the conference Web site, sunbeltsports.org. The review was conducted by the Sun Belt coordinator of officials, a coordinator of officials from a conference not involved in the game and an NFL referee.

"There is much in this report to be proud of, and there is also much in this report that gives us room for improvement," commissioner Wright Waters said in a statement. "We will now use this as a learning experience and continue to try to improve the quality of our officiating program. We remain very confident in the abilities of our officials."

The calls deemed incorrect by at least one of the three reviewers:

A first-quarter run by Nebraska's Cory Ross that should have been ruled a fumble.

A second-quarter Michigan pass that was ruled incomplete but should have been called pass interference.

A fourth-quarter punt to Michigan's Steve Breaston, who was interfered with, but there was no call.

On Michigan's fourth-and-8, fourth-quarter pass to Mario Manningham, where replays showed interference but none was called. That play occurred with 2:39 left.

As for the game's final, lateral-filled play by Michigan, the officials concluded that the calls were correct and "the actions by the players and coaches who came off the sidelines were unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, not illegal participation fouls. Since there was no time left in the game, there was no succeeding spot, thus the game was over. The ruling by the crew was a correct one, but from a public relations standpoint, the referee should have made a postgame announcement that explained the ruling."

By Mark Snyder

This one about the punt interference was my favorite. considering that was the CORRECT call as opposed to the bad call on the earlier punt. the refs knew they were wrong on the first call, and made sure not to make the same mistake on the next opportunity. rehashing of course- but even the announcers read the rule and couldn't figure out how that qualified as an interference penalty.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

Not to mention, only FOUR missed calls according to this panel? that's all they found in that game?! did they actually watch the tape or just the plays UM whined about?

and good thing the article didn't mention this one from the same report: "Quarter 4 – 6:06: Quarterback’s arm is hit from the backside and the Referee correctly rules a fumble, not an incomplete pass". it just wouldn't have fit the print agenda.

but this pretty much legimatizes the whole report right here: "None of the three reviewers found any evidence that the game was too fast for the crew."

yeah, except the game tape itself. that might be pretty good evidence. other than that though....

Report-

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.d...0&ATCLID=227126

GOOD - The BAD calls make up for:

1981 - CU /NU - Two (2) HOLDING calls on DEAN STIENKULER in 4th QTR - 1(ONE) called all year on him, but we were driving for the WIN.

1982 - PSU /NU - Todd McKolsky catching a pass out of bounds (Joe Pa Admiting it)

1983 - OUR OWN FAULT - Going for Two (2) when Jeff Smith could have made 2 yards for the WIN - BUT OH WELL - I'm Not BITTER - I'm 34 and I can still remember CRYING at 12:10AM when we LOST.

1993 - FSU /NU - NO CLIP on the Punt Return for a TD - They Re-Played it numorus times - The CLIP didn't happen.

1993 - FSU/NU - FSU FullBack William "SLEEPY" Floyd - FUMBLED on the one (1) yard line and the REF'S called it a TouchDown - REPLAYS showed it was a FUMBLE.

1998 - KSU /NU - Eric Crouch FASEMASKED on fouth (4th) Down - SEE PICTURE IN SPORTS ILLUSTRATED.

My point is IT'S ABOUT TIME WE GET THE f'ing CALLS!!!!!!!!!!!! :restore2

i wonder if the big 12 will put in a lil note to the refs...

as long as there are notes going around the Big 12 offices, how about one that they should not allow Usechek or his crew anywhere near a Husker game. and maybe another one to watch out for the Folsum Field timekeepers.

though actual enforcement of the holding penalty in the Big 12 would be a very nice place to start.

until we get the coaches challenge into the college games, we are saddled with piss poor refs and calls.........and that does not lokk like it will happen, just yet

I know, and it is too bad we will have to wait. But you would have to think that due to all of the controversy over officiating this last season, more consideration and attention would be brought to intalling it.

anyone remember the game when CU was given 5 downs? now that was pathetic!!!!

I will never forget that one!

Its amazing that they only caught 4 bad calls and all of them supposedly favored us. They are being WAY conservative. There were way more than 4 bad calls and a lot of non calls that should have been called.

I think there evaluator is as inept as there officials.

After reading it, I would have to agree. Anyone who saw that game knows there were plenty of bad calls in both directions. To say only 4, and all favoring NU is crazy.

Sunbelt Response

Here is another link. A response by the sunbelt conference. I especially like what the NFL ref and I-A Coordinator of Officials had to say:

NFL Referee – “Overall, thought the crew did a good job.  Speed of the game was about average and crew was not over-run or overwhelmed by the speed of play.  Tough game to work as both teams committed a number of fouls.  Thought the announcers were overly critical of officials and at times did not know rules for which they were criticizing officials.”

I-A Coordinator of Officials – “I thought they did an excellent job and if it were not for the last play, nothing would have been said.  There were no more misses by officials in this game than by any of the BCS conference crews in any games they worked.”