Should the balloon tradition end?

We must've played a good game saturday night. Ameer OPTW. Gregory Lott impact POTW. So obviously some doosh needed something to complain about.

And if a recruit turns down a school cuz of frickin baloons, then........

nevermind. It's not worth the wast of time.

My dirty old pickup puts out emissions that are more damaging in my 6 block drive to work than these damn balloons do in a year. This is stupid.

Wait. Your work is only six blocks away, and you drive your pick-up there?

My daughter says we should release you high in the atmosphere after the first score against Illinois.

Actually. Most days I do walk. But I also have days on which I have bunches of errands to run on lunch and/or right after work, which I'll drive. Yes, '87 chev pickup, 4WD, HP motor (bout 10 mpg).

As far as putting me in the air-I'm 300 pounds. Fill me with helium and you'll get your wish, cuz I'll float all the way to the moon.

• Fire 3

Didn't they already try to kill this tradition a couple years back?

As for the environment, all the rubber from the balloons released during a game is about the same as one truck tire. So if he's concerned about it, perhaps the Cornnation author of the article could just walk a couple miles up and down to the Salt Creek, pull out half a dozen old tires, and properly dispose of them. That would negate the effect of the balloons for a season. WIN-WIN!

Couple years ago the issue was a world wide helium shortage, hence they could waste helium on as many, if any, balloons.

we should absolutely end this tradition:

The world is running low on helium? Big freaking deal, right? Worst-case scenario, future kids won't ever experience the joy of shelling out $7 for an amusement park balloon, then immediately tripping and seeing it fly away.

Actually, if you have benefited from a piece of technology more complex than a sharp rock tied to a stick, it was probably made with the help of helium. Helium has the lowest boiling point of all materials on Earth, which means it's cooler than a ninja Fonzie in sunglasses. Basically every high-tech industry imaginable has uses for helium, from chilling MRI magnets to producing fiber optics and LCD screens.

Think of it as the Batman of gases -- known for its playful public persona as the stuff that makes you talk like Jennifer Tilly, but secretly a badass vigilante keeping the modern world in one piece. And just like Batman, the government completely doesn't understand it.

After all, if the stuff is running out, the price should be going up, right? And we sure as hell shouldn't be putting it in party balloons.

But according to Nobel Prize winner Robert Richardson, the problem is that the U.S. government is giving away helium like a discount VCR warehouse: as much as it can, as cheap as it can. In 1996, Congress passed a law requiring the U.S. government to sell off our helium stockpile by 2015. This has forced the price of the gas way, way lower than it should be, considering how little of the stuff is actually left in the world (Richardson says a balloon's worth would cost $100 if the market were allowed to set the price).

The U.S. controls more than 80 percent of the world's helium supply, so Richardson says all this sell-off and waste means there's a very real chance we will run out of the gas in fewer than 25 years. If you're one of those people who buys into this whole "technology" fad, that's something to be concerned about.

Fortunately, there's a backup plan: If we run out of mined helium we can always recover it from the atmosphere. That will run us only 10,000 times the current costs.

• Fire 1

Ive also read that helium is a by product of natural gas production and since we're moving more and more towards the use of natural gas, I'd say we may be ok.

As far as trying to get rid of our supply, that like anything else our government seems to do is stupid. How is there any reason to be trying to deplete any sort of stockpile of any natural resource whatsoever? If there's a legit reason, I obviously dont know what it is.

Didn't they already try to kill this tradition a couple years back?

As for the environment, all the rubber from the balloons released during a game is about the same as one truck tire. So if he's concerned about it, perhaps the Cornnation author of the article could just walk a couple miles up and down to the Salt Creek, pull out half a dozen old tires, and properly dispose of them. That would negate the effect of the balloons for a season. WIN-WIN!

This

The guy is misinformed, our balloons are biodegradable and do not have an adverse effect on the environment.

/thread

i do not know if there is an adverse effect from the balloons, but just because it is biodegradable does not mean there is no adverse effect.

cow sh#t is biodegradable, but it can have an adverse effect on the environment.