Should the balloon tradition end?

For the folks that couldn't be bothered to take the time to RTFA, the Biodegradability of the balloons per the article StPaulHusker linked to is being called into question.

I don't have a problem with the tradition as long as there is enough helium and the balloons are truly biodegradable. But if one or the other is seriously in question, it's time to do the responsible, mature thing and find a new tradition.

And there's a thread about this on the Politics tab since some folks can't help but dip into the ole' echo chamber when a topic like the environment comes up.

Responsibility and maturity ain't got no place in college football, kimosabe

Yeah, I know. It's an antiquated notion...

It's pretty simple, make absolutely gd sure the balloons are biodegradable. We have the technology. Then continue to use helium until it is actually outlawed for use in mere balloons. If little Timmy can have helium balloons at his friggin bday party, I think we can float up a few thousand red balloons seven times per year. There's a lot more helium ballons than that being filled every day of the year for other reasons. Nebraska football is not offender numero uno here.

Corn Nation put out an article saying the tradition of releasing a balloon after the first Husker score should end. Should it? And what, if anything, could replace it?

Quote:

The real problem is the rest of the world has taken to frowning on the random release of plastic into the air. Never mind whether the balloon is bio-degradable, it's a bad look these days, and the last thing Nebraska needs to do is to look outdated. Wait until the day a top recruit turns down Nebraska because the Cornhusker program is not "green" and everyone will be wondering who was responsible for such an outdated ritual.

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/9/24/6837527/corn-flakes-time-for-balloon-tradition-to-end

We don't need no heathenistic liberals on our team anyways. Go hug a tree you hippies. :sarcasm

cartman-hippies.jpg

• Fire 3

It's pretty simple, make absolutely gd sure the balloons are biodegradable. We have the technology. Then continue to use helium until it is actually outlawed for use in mere balloons. If little Timmy can have helium balloons at his friggin bday party, I think we can float up a few thousand red balloons seven times per year. There's a lot more helium ballons than that being filled every day of the year for other reasons. Nebraska football is not offender numero uno here.

Already outlawed: California, Connecticut, Florida, New York, Tennessee and Virginia laws

WANTED - $5,000 REWARD - DEAD OR ALIVE

stock-photo-little-girl-with-two-helium-

The DailyNebraskan ran an article about how the university uses biodegradable balloons already. We're set.

Some groups are questioning how biodegradable they actually are

The DailyNebraskan ran an article about how the university uses biodegradable balloons already. We're set.

Some groups are questioning how biodegradable they actually are

They can question all they want. Latex is made from tree sap. These balloons biodegrade in the same time frame as an oak leaf.

Fair enough. That doesn't mean the aren't harmful

Fair enough. That doesn't mean the aren't harmful

There are long term studies on balloons in the atmosphere and how they, once popped, affect the environment. Balloon material accounts for .7% of coastal trash and biodegrades in 6 months with no microscopic pieces left over.

The reason there is so much data is because of Latex gloves as medical waste.

Lots of data shows that not only are they biodegradable, but they are not harmful to the environment. But hey, people have to have something to get excited about...might as well be balloons right? Hopefully, people realize there are bigger fish to fry...

For some reason this makes me think of those documentary films about migrating animals. Once released from it's home, the Husker balloon will join its brethren in the sky where it will begin the slow and difficult journey in hopes of reaching its new home, the cornfields of Nebraska.

I'll start caring about balloon waste when I can go to the store and buy a child's toy without ending up throwing away a grocery bag full of plastic wrapping.