MSU and the Playoff

Scratchtown

Few things...

I can't see an undefeated Nebraska team getting snubbed by 1 loss teams from any conference. I would think the committee understand that you lose a game, you didn't take care of business.

OU/Baylor...they both still have to play kstate...It's not a stretch to think ksu beats one of them. Texas does mystical things at strange times. Paul Rhoads voodoo.... okst still scores points. It's going to be hard to finish the big12 without a loss or two.

Pac12...eh...who's going to win that thing? Oregon? Probably but you never know. I think the B1G championship game is a big deal especially with history and the issue of teams not winning their conference winning the title (bama)...

Point is we don't know anything because we've never seen the committee make a selection before.

Currently we are ranked the 5th best conference. Who ever wins the west in the SEC is going is my guess. I don't think the east winner can play with any of the top teams, being Bama, Auburn, A&M, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. But someone has to lose out of that group. That is a murders row it appears. Oregon and UCLA seem to be the power on the west coast, if Oregon wins, that will drop the Big a slot unless Nebraska beats MSU twice. Florida State gets through its games undefeated, no way it does not go. Baylor/Oklahoma winner goes with one loss or less.

Our conference is considered so far below the others is the problem. Not saying we are but not much there to prove anyone wrong at this time. And no real chance of changing the perception. Weak assed schedules are going to have to end. McNeese state will haunt us if Bama is undefeated and one of the others has a single loss to the SEC champion.

It does not look good either way. Currently the only real chance for the Big to get a representative is for us to win out. If not, and things go as most think they will (who knows) the Big will be looking in and that in a way is good thing for the future. The first time one of the Big guys, not the ACC is setting out of the playoff, there is going to be screaming! 4 is not enough with 5 major conferences.

we wouldn't make it in with a loss, but a 1 loss MSU would have a chance based on the preseason presumptions about the teams. a #2 sec would beat us out even if fsu or oregon falls off. i would like to think the committee wouldn't look at it this way, but i can't bring myself to do it. if we want to make the playoffs this year, it's going to require 13-0. with that being said, it's way too early to look at 13-0. let's worry about 6-0 first, and go from there.

While I'm not fully certain a 1-loss MSU team would make it in (depends on what happens to the other teams), you make a good point about preseason presumptions and why polls early in the season really do matter. Perhaps this new playoff committee will not be swayed by the polls, but if a team starts out in the top 10 and consistently receives great praise, when they do lose, they won't drop too far which leaves them in the hunt all season.

The only way Nebraska would make a playoff is to be undefeated.

Folks, I agree with those who think that we don't really know because we haven't seen the committee pick. I found it interesting that on a show on ESPN the other day, the one sports lady who had actually talked to committee members said that in those conversations the ones she talked to stated that they were NOT taking conference affiliation into account in their rankings and selections. Leads me to believe that any thinking that 1 loss Nebraska wouldn't have a shot at the playoff isn't basing that on anything but unvalidated logic with no real basis in the new system. Without any prior selections yo go off of... any guesstimates are wild speculation at best.

• Fire 1

Currently we are ranked the 5th best conference. Who ever wins the west in the SEC is going is my guess. I don't think the east winner can play with any of the top teams, being Bama, Auburn, A&M, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. But someone has to lose out of that group. That is a murders row it appears. Oregon and UCLA seem to be the power on the west coast, if Oregon wins, that will drop the Big a slot unless Nebraska beats MSU twice. Florida State gets through its games undefeated, no way it does not go. Baylor/Oklahoma winner goes with one loss or less.

Our conference is considered so far below the others is the problem. Not saying we are but not much there to prove anyone wrong at this time. And no real chance of changing the perception. Weak assed schedules are going to have to end. McNeese state will haunt us if Bama is undefeated and one of the others has a single loss to the SEC champion.

It does not look good either way. Currently the only real chance for the Big to get a representative is for us to win out. If not, and things go as most think they will (who knows) the Big will be looking in and that in a way is good thing for the future. The first time one of the Big guys, not the ACC is setting out of the playoff, there is going to be screaming! 4 is not enough with 5 major conferences.

B1G is ahead of ACC now...

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/96256/conference-power-rankings-big-ten-is-up

That is good. It gives Michigan State a fighting chance if they win out and us the same. No matter the conference the schedule will be looked at I think. I can not see how you could compare them with out looking at strength of schedule and margin of victory not on the list. Playing no one in the top ten at the end of the year will hurt our chances. If we should beat MSU, they will fall and far is my guess. If we win out, we would have beaten Wisconsin and then they would fall. Michigan State plays no one to raise their strength of schedule anymore than ours. Florida State of the ACC goes undefeated, they are defending MNC, doubtful they would drop being 26-0 or more.

The Big has a tough road to hoe, and we owe that to our own failures (Not Nebraska) with out of conference losses. Our supposed top team lost to Oregon and we will have not beaten a top 10 program at years end.

I think our best shot to make it with 1 loss would be to lose to MSU this week, then have them run the table until the CCG and we win that game. It's an outside shot, but it's way too early to say it's impossible. MSU would be top 5 and possibly even top 2. There are a lot of teams in front of them that haven't looked good or play each other, so I think they just keep rising. If Oregon and MSU are 1 and 2, then I think it would look good for us that our only loss came to MSU. The only problem is that we don't have many games after this to help us rise in the rankings. So lets jut make it easy and go undefeated.

All I keep thinking is 1 week at a time. Lets just take care of business this week.

When my schedule comes out for my teams season (Basically I know what it will be each year anyway) I look at all the games and start thinking way into the future. I never worry about the "one week at a time" thing. I don't know why I am that way, but, I have never cared about it or thought it was a big deal.

• Fire 1

B1G is ahead of ACC now...

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/96256/conference-power-rankings-big-ten-is-up

I prefer the playoffs to be the winners of the power 5 conferences, and three additional teams chosen in a way that makes everyone mad.

• Fire 1

I havent see anyone talk about the independents getting in there is stil a chance that ND could go without a loss. The NCAA is going to need to step it up and make things for each conference to be equal or you are not eligible for the playoff. Hence not playing and Division II teams. Play the same amount of conference games, Have a CCG things need to be on a level playing field to make these choices for the committe pretty straight forward.