*** The Official Michigan State Spartans Game Discussion Thread ***

I was having lunch this week with a friend, who is not a Nebraska fan, but follows NCAA football very closely and he said something like "Nebraska does not want to have a blow-out win against MSU, they wont a close win. I of course argued that the bigger the margin of victory, the better and he said, "Well if you beat them in a close game, it looks like you beat a great team, a top-ten team, but if you blow them out, say 17 or more points,,,than it looks like you beat a over-rated team...that should not have been ranked that high and therefore, the victory (in the eyes of voters, etc) is not as great. Took me awhile to process that, but I think he is correct.

• Fire 1

I was having lunch this week with a friend, who is not a Nebraska fan, but follows NCAA football very closely and he said something like "Nebraska does not want to have a blow-out win against MSU, they wont a close win. I of course argued that the bigger the margin of victory, the better and he said, "Well if you beat them in a close game, it looks like you beat a great team, a top-ten team, but if you blow them out, say 17 or more points,,,than it looks like you beat a over-rated team...that should not have been ranked that high and therefore, the victory (in the eyes of voters, etc) is not as great. Took me awhile to process that, but I think he is correct.

He's not correct.

This is our first time playing a good QB. Cook is elite compared to a true freshman Kaaya, fsu's qb, illinois's backup, Mcneese's, and fau's Qb. There aren't very many in our conference, I'd have say to Cook, braxton miller, rudock (a little) are the top QB's. JT Barrett by the end of the year will be good.

Defensively, we need to step up, i have a feeling MSU is going to go straight at our linebackers with their tight ends. That was our weakness in the Miami game, i watched the replay last night, and we couldn't stop their TE walford 4 quarters straight. Feeling pretty good about our run defense, most of the long runs we've given up this season were a result of missed tackles. they have a few tall WR's so i wouldn't be suprised if they did what illinois did to us last weekend when geronimo allison went right up over josh mitchell for a catch and a TD.

Offensively, MSU is going to try and stop the run and target abdullah. Tommy needs to get involved in the run game as well since they will be focusing on abdullah, but tommy has trouble holding on the football. I have a feeling MSU will limit us on the run, so tommy needs to be able to pass. WR's need to step up today and catch some tough passes.

First cold game for drew brown, it'll be interesting to see how the weather and hostile road environment affects him. His only miss from less than 50 yards came on road against FSU. This is in a much tougher environment/weather conditions. This game will be close so he'll definitely play a huge factor

• Fire 1

spongebob-elite-daily-6.png

Going to strongly disagree with your friend here. The larger the margin of victory the better we look.

This is our first time playing a good QB. Cook is elite compared to a true freshman Kaaya, fsu's qb, illinois's backup, Mcneese's, and fau's Qb. There aren't very many in our conference, I'd have say to Cook, braxton miller, rudock (a little) are the top QB's. JT Barrett by the end of the year will be good.

Defensively, we need to step up, i have a feeling MSU is going to go straight at our linebackers with their tight ends. That was our weakness in the Miami game, i watched the replay last night, and we couldn't stop their TE walford 4 quarters straight. Feeling pretty good about our run defense, most of the long runs we've given up this season were a result of missed tackles. they have a few tall WR's so i wouldn't be suprised if they did what illinois did to us last weekend when geronimo allison went right up over josh mitchell for a catch and a TD.

Offensively, MSU is going to try and stop the run and target abdullah. Tommy needs to get involved in the run game as well since they will be focusing on abdullah, but tommy has trouble holding on the football. I have a feeling MSU will limit us on the run, so tommy needs to be able to pass. WR's need to step up today and catch some tough passes.

First cold game for drew brown, it'll be interesting to see how the weather and hostile road environment affects him. His only miss from less than 50 yards came on road against FSU. This is in a much tougher environment/weather conditions. This game will be close so he'll definitely play a huge factor

Good post except that you include Ruddock, even at a little, in the elite qb group. That its the laugh I've needed this afternoon

• Fire 1

He did not say to try for a close win, he simply said, that this early in the season, a tight win (7 or less) would be perceived to be more impressive than a blow-out....we are talking perception here. You blow a team out---and the nation, the fans, etc, think and say.....well, the other team (MSU) was not that good to begin with,,,they loss to Oregon, who lose to AZ...etc,etc. I think he has a very valid point,,,,,and it was specific to the timing in the year.