Ok so... what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?

If you're content with 9 wins a season in a weak conference, fine. I'm not.

Who are you saying is content with 9 wins?

That's the feeling I get from a lot of people on this board. They say that top recruits won't come to play here, and top coaches won't come to coach here. I was even ridiculed for telling coaches about a great player at my school when he was in 8th grade, trying to give the coaches a head start.

It's actually ten wins a season just as much as it is 9.

Are we still crying about how hard it is to be Nebraska if we win 11 or 12?

Shut up.

What you hussin 'bout?

Nothing. Shut up wasn't directed toward you.....you're my homeboy.

More directed to the boo hoo crowd who will continue to claim Nebraska is at some disadvantage or just isn't capable of competing with these other programs. Of course, til' we win 12 games and then they just kind of shut up and fade away. Win games, cures all. Nebraska is an elite program and theres no reason we shouldn't be in the conversation every year. We are getting closer I think. This staff is coming around. Of course, instead of just admitting that we hired a first time head coach and his inexperienced buddies, we'd rather come up with the vast amount of excuses that have poured out of this fan base the last seven years or more.

We thought this thing was gonna turn around quick. We were wrong. When you think about it, why would it have righted quick? I see progress though. That's the first I've seen in awhile. We just gotta keep getting better and stop with the excuses for Gods sake.

Thank you for saying what I've been trying to say.

Here's the problem. I would have to read back through the thread (something I'm not going to do) But, I don't think anyone is arguing this point.

I say that it DOES play a factor, based on available talent in the area. But to say kids won't come bc of weather or lack of activities is crap.

Recruiting these days is a lot different than it was during Osborne's tenure.

But, then you go and make this statement.

My belief is that geographical location does not matter, if you have a coach that kids want to play for.

Which....is simply not true (for a lot of top athletes) to the extent that they can stay closer to home and also play for a coach they want to play for and for a program that has proven to be a winner just like Nebraska has been.

A very interesting point is that you make the statement in red above.

But, I don't think that statement means what you want it to mean.

It's actually ten wins a season just as much as it is 9.

Are we still crying about how hard it is to be Nebraska if we win 11 or 12?

Shut up.

What you hussin 'bout?

Nothing. Shut up wasn't directed toward you.....you're my homeboy.

More directed to the boo hoo crowd who will continue to claim Nebraska is at some disadvantage or just isn't capable of competing with these other programs. Of course, til' we win 12 games and then they just kind of shut up and fade away. Win games, cures all. Nebraska is an elite program and theres no reason we shouldn't be in the conversation every year. We are getting closer I think. This staff is coming around. Of course, instead of just admitting that we hired a first time head coach and his inexperienced buddies, we'd rather come up with the vast amount of excuses that have poured out of this fan base the last seven years or more.

We thought this thing was gonna turn around quick. We were wrong. When you think about it, why would it have righted quick? I see progress though. That's the first I've seen in awhile. We just gotta keep getting better and stop with the excuses for Gods sake.

Thank you for saying what I've been trying to say.

People thought it would be fixed quickly because:

1. Bo said it would

2. It wasn't that broken to begin with.

Everything I've said has gone right over your head. My point for this thread was to show that saying that kids don't come to Lincoln, simply because of the weather or the notion that there's nothing to do there, is false. Kids will go wherever there's a proven winning coach. That's my opinion and sticking with it.

If that is the case, then "what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?"

• Fire 2

What's sad is we are 5-1. Yes, one loss, and the excuse wagon has the oxen pulling and already rolling through the plains. Geezus. We've only lost one game guys. We'll be okay. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out before we declare how disadvantaged we are as a program. Geezus this defeatist mentality around here is a sign of weakness.

• Fire 1

Everything I've said has gone right over your head. My point for this thread was to show that saying that kids don't come to Lincoln, simply because of the weather or the notion that there's nothing to do there, is false. Kids will go wherever there's a proven winning coach. That's my opinion and sticking with it.

If that is the case, then "what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?"

Well. We can shut this thread down now.

Nice.

+1

nHdTz0T.gif

If you're talking social/fun activities then not a damn thing, which was the point of the entire thread to begin with. I was unaware that Mississippi is such a hotbed of talent, but I stand corrected.

Okay. Let's get some things straight.

The 2 Mississippi college towns offer nothing more or less than Nebraska by way of strip clubs, burger joints, whatever.

Weather is weather. No one really cares that much about it.

The 2 Mississippi teams coaches have proven nothing more than Nebraskas HC.

The 2 Mississippi schools may or may not be a hot bed of football talent but they are within 500 miles of Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Florida, Atlanta, and Tennessee.

Lincoln is within 500 miles of Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City and St Louis.

Now you tell me, what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?

• Fire 2

If you're talking social/fun activities then not a damn thing, which was the point of the entire thread to begin with. I was unaware that Mississippi is such a hotbed of talent, but I stand corrected.

You're defeating yourself.

Your two statements in this thread are that A) Location doesn't matter for bringing in recruits, and B) a proven winning coach will bring in recruits.

So, per the question of your thread, what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't, if location doesn't matter, then the answer must be that they have proven winning coaches to attract recruits, right?

Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss is 21-11. Winning, but not exactly proven. Dan Mullen at Mississippi State is 42-28, and 19-24 in conference. Proven, but only kinda winning.

Remind me again what your point is because you're all over the place.

So often I hear Nebraska fans use the "geographically disadvantaged" excuse. Starkville and Oxford are just two more examples of places where kids are willing to go, due to the respective programs having excellent coaches and recruiters.

Lets take a look at the past ten national title teams in order from the most recent;

Florida State

Alabama

Alabama

Auburn

Alabama

Florida

LSU

Florida

Texas

USC

What do they all have in common? The states all have coastlines with a warm year around climate, and the five states all rank in the top seven in the graph Abdullah the Butcher provided (maybe not the most reliable). Geography plays a huge role, in the fact that the state of Mississippi is sandwiched in the middle of Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Florida. Weirdly enough, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, and Missouri schools don't seem to be anywhere on the list of National Title teams since... 1990. In the past 24 years one state that touches Nebraska has won a national championship. Name another national title winning team to come from a state that touches Nebraska. This forces Nebraska to recruit kids from California to Texas to Florida, as there clearly isn't enough talent in the immediate region. With a coach like Pelini, who is a mediocre recruiter, it makes it tough to entice young 17 and 18 year olds, in the age of social media, to come to Nebraska.

Also, the SEC has the ability to recruit more efficiently today because they have won 7 of the last 8 national titles. Pelini can't walk into a recruits home and say; "We play against the best competition game in and out." Instead he has to say; "You would look good in a Nebraska jersey as we beat cream-puff A, B, and C." Recruiting is half of the equation, while coaching is the other. You have to be able to persuade a good coach and staff first, then have that staff recruit quality kids to fit their system and style. We have recruited many five stars. It would be interesting to know the reasons they did not choose to come. My guess is if you took the Nebraska facilities, campus, and stadium and placed them in Starkville, MS, our recruiting would only get better.