Ok so... what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?

There was no search.

I think the search that would likely happen if Bo doesn't make it to Indy would put the search that ended with Tim Miles to shame.

Because of agents, consultants and search firms, I am quite confident Eichorst has an idea of what coaching interest at Nebraska might be like. But as has been said many times, we are not going to fire a 9+ win coach.

And its a big reason why Bo is still here even after the Iowa situation.

It isn't the job that some make it out to be.

There are only 2 aspects of the job that might be unappealing to a potential candidate. That is not being overly close to high end recruiting grounds and not having a large recruiting staff.

Other than that, the head coach at Nebraska has everything any other school in the country has and potentially more.

The recruiting issues are a huge deal, though to use the word "only" about. It's why Nebraska wouldn't enter the conversation with coaches like U Meyer and N Saban who can pick their job based on those things.

Not to mention coaches that win 9/10 games a year are either on the hot seat or get canned. 3 of the past 4, actually.

Our fan base really leaves a lot to be desired, let's not kid ourselves.

Can you imagine how toxic Husker message boards would be if we hired another Callahan, or two or three in a row?

This is what we deal with when we lose four games a year and lose conference championship games. Anyone claiming it would be better around here if we tried new coaches, they failed, and we tried again, is fooling themselves. Lose 5/6 games a year, never even sniff a conference championship game, nor a Heisman-worthy player... that would make boards like this unreadable.

That's not what happened under Callahan, some I don't know why it would in this scenario

But what if we had 2007 for like 5 years in a row? I think that's what Knapp is talking about. Even for me as someone who bitches about the Callahan years, you cant argue witht the fact that that era was a pretty steady upswing until that 2007 USC game, when it all fell apart. But before that, there was some pretty steady improvement and progress. I wasnt here for that era, but I would guess there was a pretty optimistic look to the future after the '06 season, looking back on how that era begun and what it had come to. Dont think ANYONE could say with a clear conscious that they saw what happened in 2007 coming. While it may have been bad, it doesnt stand a tee to what it would be like if we went into that kind of spiral for a 5 year stretch or so.

You're wrong, there were about twice as many people who were never happy with anything Callahan did, and mostly they got banned for doing so.And if you really think we are destined for five straight years of our worst seasons ever if Bo is moved, I've said it before but that's far more pessimistic than I'm capable of being.

Jesus flippin kriest. This is the god damn problem with you. Where did I say that? Where?

All i did was say, and I quote, " I think that's what Knapp is talking about........While it (2007) may have been bad, it doesnt stand a tee to what it would be like if we went into that kind of spiral for a 5 year stretch or so."

.....in reference too..........

Can you imagine how toxic Husker message boards would be if we hired another Callahan, or two or three in a row?

This is what we deal with when we lose four games a year and lose conference championship games. Anyone claiming it would be better around here if we tried new coaches, they failed, and we tried again, is fooling themselves. Lose 5/6 games a year, never even sniff a conference championship game, nor a Heisman-worthy player... that would make boards like this unreadable.

It was comments and speculation on the mood and atmosphere of HuskerNation, and more specifically, HuskerBoard if (IF, not when) we would have to go through a 2007 like stretch for multiple seasons in a row. Through multiple Callahan like failures, multiple tenures in a row. Now go ahead. Stick your frickin nose in the air and tell us all how great it'll be when Bo is canned.

It could be good,could be the same, could be bad.

I know this though, if there is a coach here in the future what wins, actually treats the fanbase like an asset instead of an enemy, and truly wants to be here, we'll all wonder why we fought so much.

There was no search.

I think the search that would likely happen if Bo doesn't make it to Indy would put the search that ended with Tim Miles to shame.

Because of agents, consultants and search firms, I am quite confident Eichorst has an idea of what coaching interest at Nebraska might be like. But as has been said many times, we are not going to fire a 9+ win coach.
And its a big reason why Bo is still here even after the Iowa situation.

It isn't the job that some make it out to be.

And I'm down on Nebraska.
I'm not down on NU at all. I've just actually educated myself on the situation, thus I have an informed, realistic opinion.

I'm not going to shut my eyes, clinch my fists, grit my teeth and say ad naseum "We have great facilities, used to have a great team 20 years ago, and I love them so I demand that they be great."

Thing is, you don't know it's going to be like that. Like at all. And this isn't much better. Nebraska still gets blown out, still doesn't win anything tangible, and still has a coach who at times appears he'd rather be anywhere but in Lincoon. The only difference is Nebraska is hiding in the Big ten west and getting fat on the purdue's, Illinois,,and FAU's of the world.

So if fear is the only reason to keep Bo, that is no kind of reason.

I'm not scared, but I think this is much, much better than a number of alternate possibilities if we hire a new coach.

It's a risk for a reason, and the reason is that there isn't anything close to a science or a sure-thing when hiring coaches, and the odds are against you more than in your favor.

For every great legacy coach that has been hired, you can find ten that were just as highly regarded that fell on their faces.

And that's not even getting into if we hired the next Tim Miles that would win big and he left after 5 years for a new job.

At the risk of derailing this, Tim Miles hasn't won anything either. And the pressure for him to succeed even in year 2 was extremely low. I like the guy and he has given me no reason to doubt his abilities so far. I just don't think we should be talking about if Bo is gone we will need to find the next Tim Miles.

You beat me to it! Fricken 19-13 and he's being talked about as a great coach? So they went from slightly uner .500 to slightly over .500. Not that i care about bball anyway but Geez

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/recruiting-a-strong-rebuttal-to-star-wars/article_c2932116-54b5-11e4-9900-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

I use the 247 Composite here because it accumulates several recruiting ratings into one numerical score.

Ole Miss offense: 88.74

Ole Miss defense: 88.12

Mississippi State defense: 86.28

Nebraska defense: 86.03

Nebraska offense: 84.91

Mississippi State offense: 82.14

So Nebraska has equal talent but something is missing.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/recruiting-a-strong-rebuttal-to-star-wars/article_c2932116-54b5-11e4-9900-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

I use the 247 Composite here because it accumulates several recruiting ratings into one numerical score.

The difference between Miss St this year and last is that Dak Prescott has turned a corner and become an elite QB. It is that simple. I watched Miss St. Play a little last year, and he was very talented but wildly inconsistent. This year he has been great. A hot QB can make all the difference in the world.

Oh and for all the guys calling for a QB coach at NU it doesn't appear that Miss St has a person dedicated to being solely the QB coach.

The difference between Miss St this year and last is that Dak Prescott has turned a corner and become an elite QB. It is that simple. I watched Miss St. Play a little last year, and he was very talented but wildly inconsistent. This year he has been great. A hot QB can make all the difference in the world.

Oh and for all the guys calling for a QB coach at NU it doesn't appear that Miss St has a person dedicated to being solely the QB coach.

That doesn't mean Nebraska would not benefit from one.

So....let me get this straight. They have a QB who played some as a Freshman, Started his sophomore year and then he took a big jump as a Junior? There are some Husker fans who believe that isn't possible.

• Fire 2

That doesn't mean Nebraska would not benefit from one.

No it doesn't, but too many of you guys think that is going to cure whatever you think is wrong. Actually, that would be wrong with you, there is only one cure in your mind.

My point was that a QB playing at an elite level makes a huge difference. Lets think about that and look at Nebraska as an example. In TO's tenure Nebraska really was great IMO 2x. From 81-83 and 93-97. What was the difference? NU truly had a difference maker at QB in Gill, Frazier and Frost. I would include Crouch in that group. He lifted a team that had a lot less talent to a pretty high level.

After Gill TO spent 10 years trying to find that QB and when he finally found it look at what happened.

• Fire 2

It think it has more to do with LSU, Bama, and even Texas A&M NOT being the LSU, Bama, and A&M 's that we've become so familiar with. Yes, obviously Miss St and Ole Miss are vastly improved, and Dak Prescott is a tremendous *college* quarterback, but it's largely a result of the two perennial bellcows of that division having off years. In the old Big 12 North, once Nebraska and Kstate went down, Colorado and then Missouri took over.

• Fire 1

It think it has more to do with LSU, Bama, and even Texas A&M NOT being the LSU, Bama, and A&M 's that we've become so familiar with. Yes, obviously Miss St and Ole Miss are vastly improved, and Dak Prescott is a tremendous *college* quarterback, but it's largely a result of the two perennial bellcows of that division having off years. In the old Big 12 North, once Nebraska and Kstate went down, Colorado and then Missouri took over.

I would agree that that is also a contributing factor. But, again if you watched Prescott last year vs. this year he is light years better.

So....let me get this straight. They have a QB who played some as a Freshman, Started his sophomore year and then he took a big jump as a Junior? There are some Husker fans who believe that isn't possible.

Those that don't pay attention, cuz our previous QB did exactly that. Albeit with a private QB coach that he hired in the off season.