Renting out my boat - good idea or bad idea

beanman

Guys,

It's pretty apparent that I'm not going to be able to sell my boat for what it's worth (ie. to cover my loan). I am faced with the decision to either drop my price and risk losing a couple or three grand or to keep it and find some way to make the boat payments less of a burden. So I'm considering letting others use it for a fee, say 100 bucks for a weekend or something.

I don't know if I'd let anyone use it if they weren't a close friend or family member, but I bet there are plenty of people who would do so if they're looking for a fun day at the lake.

So I'm just looking for opinions, would any of you be interested in renting to do some fishing or tubing, and if so, what do you think would be a fair price(gas excluded)?

My boat has a 4-stroke, so skiing for an adult would be a bit iffy, but as far as tubing with kids it's great. It's also a great fishing platform, easy to launch, etc. and has a stereo with USB or mp3 input.

I know a few of you guys like to fish, and from what I can gather there are a few shore fisherman here so I thought this would be a good place for input. Don't mock me. I'm just getting somewhat desperate financially given my recent relocation and the ridiculous property taxes here in Douglas County.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/boa/4662530447.html

Personally I think it's a bad idea. People who rent boats aren't generally boat people. A lot of extra care and work goes into using a boat as opposed to someone just renting a car. Also, many people tend to treat rental items like crap. There'd be insurance issues as well. Sure, you're covered but are the people you're renting to covered?

Personally I think it's a bad idea. People who rent boats aren't generally boat people. A lot of extra care and work goes into using a boat as opposed to someone just renting a car. Also, many people tend to treat rental items like crap. There'd be insurance issues as well. Sure, you're covered but are the people you're renting to covered?

The insurance issue was something I was worried about. The treating my boat like crap thing was hopefully going to be covered by only renting to people I know/trust.