There is a few cigar bar / shops within 5-10 miles from me. I've been curious to check them out and pick something up, including some nubs. I may have to jot down a few recommendations from this thread. Hopefully they'll have some sampler packs. I appreciate this thread Nuance!

There is a few cigar bar / shops within 5-10 miles from me. I've been curious to check them out and pick something up, including some nubs. I may have to jot down a few recommendations from this thread. Hopefully they'll have some sampler packs. I appreciate this thread Nuance!

In addition to sampling a few different kinds you might pick up a couple of their unlabeled house cigars. (Sometimes they'll have the store's label on them.) Most stores keep them right up by the cash register. I have a theory that, if it's a decent cigar store, they usually have good house or store-brand cigars at very reasonable prices.

• Fire 1

sp-mtw7050-10.jpg

Mark Twain No. 1 Churchills. 7.0"x50 ring. They look nice, and don't taste bad. But very poorly constructed. Don't burn evenly half the time and get all mushy on the end. They're sort of a novelty cigar, IMHO.

cs-cab.jpg

Pulled one of these out of the humidor while tending to the humidity today. The way I see it, is if you have to work on a Saturday you might as well stink the place up.

Cain Straight Ligero, Robusto size (5.7 x 50). Rolled by Oliva in Nicaragua. I like most of the sticks Oliva makes. This one is decent. Not great, but decent. LINK

Had another one of these today. It actually seems better than the first one. Also, very well constructed. Firm, doesn't go all mushy as it get shorter, yet it has a nice easy draw. :thumbs:

cs-gai.jpg

Since I'm in the office today, why not celebrate President's Day? I'm halfway through a Gran Habano Azteca Fuerte right now. Robusto size (5" x 50 ring) Real nice looking stick. I like the dark maduro wrapper, and pointed shape of the head. A real good cigar too, half way in anyway.

edit: As I was getting down to the last couple inches my wife stopped by the office to pick up some papers. She says, "Mmmm, smells good in here." Takes the cigar out of my hand, gives it a big puff, and says, "Tastes good too."

Me: :wub::thumbs

• Fire 1

Picked up a box of Rocky Patel Royale Toro. If you like a bit of spice and chocolate in your smoke I would definitely recommend.

Wow, those look good. Let me know how you like them. I've had maybe half a dozen or so Rocky Patels. Enjoyed every single one!

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you keep your humidors? In the basement where it is cooler or anywhere? What is better living in central Iowa with all the extreme weather.

I have an entire closet full of cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco. I keep one humidor on my desk at work.

Where do you keep your humidors? In the basement where it is cooler or anywhere? What is better living in central Iowa with all the extreme weather.

I have an entire closet full of cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco. I keep one humidor on my desk at work.

Do you want to keep a humidor in a cooler environment to keep the temp and humidity where you want it? or are the seals on humidors that good that it doesn't matter?

Do you want to keep a humidor in a cooler environment to keep the temp and humidity where you want it? or are the seals on humidors that good that it doesn't matter?

To be honest I don't worry about temperature that much. They just stay at the temp of my place. But I keep the humidity right around 70%. The seals on my different humidors/coolerdors vary somewhat. So a couple of them tend to dry out faster, causing me to monitor more carefully.

To be honest I don't worry about temperature that much. They just stay at the temp of my place. But I keep the humidity right around 70%. The seals on my different humidors/coolerdors vary somewhat. So a couple of them tend to dry out faster, causing me to monitor more carefully.

Hey Nuance have you tried Missouri Meerschaum pipes? I'm considering ordering a few this weekend. Seems with pipes you have to be a bit more active with it than cigars, but to me lighting/relighting has always seemed to be the best part of the intake. I like the price of it and pipe tobacco over cigars since I'm not a big smoker. And less hassle dealing with storage/humidity and humidor prices for novelist/newbie. If it goes well I'd like to figure out a pairing when out on the patio during spring/summer (I.E. Favorite whiskey, stout, porter, Michelada, etc). Wish me luck

Hey Nuance have you tried Missouri Meerschaum pipes? I'm considering ordering a few this weekend. Seems with pipes you have to be a bit more active with it than cigars, but to me lighting/relighting has always seemed to be the best part of the intake. I like the price of it and pipe tobacco over cigars since I'm not a big smoker. And less hassle dealing with storage/humidity and humidor prices for novelist/newbie. If it goes well I'd like to figure out a pairing when out on the patio during spring/summer (I.E. Favorite whiskey, stout, porter, Michelada, etc). Wish me luck

I smoke tobacco pipes more than cigars. Missouri Meerschaum (corn cob) pipes are okay. But they don't last long. I have a pretty good collection of briars. Even have a few meerschaum pipes--but they are more fragile. I hadn't mentioned tobacco pipes in this thread because I didn't think anyone else would be interested. Cigars are more mainstream. Have fun with it!

• Fire 1