CFB Selection Committee Rankings (Updated 11/11)

Kernal

I think everyone needs to relax about this ranking and how the SEC teams currently stand. As others have stated, it is going to play itself out. Who cares if an SEC team is still in the top 10 after a loss. All that matters is that they are out of the top 4 at the end.

For the most part I agree with you. However, here is where it matters. If it comes down to deciding between them or another team with a similar record, their higher ranking could be the difference.

I think everyone needs to relax about this ranking and how the SEC teams currently stand. As others have stated, it is going to play itself out. Who cares if an SEC team is still in the top 10 after a loss. All that matters is that they are out of the top 4 at the end.

The SEC is a boogeyman to a lot of people.

I care. Everyone understands this will play itself out to at least limiting the SEC to 2 teams, but why boost their ego at this point? Is it feasible to at least narrow it down to 2 in the top for from the SEC right now? YES.

Also if we win out and Mich st wins out you will have 2 top 10 teams in the B1G CCG. Winner is in the playoffs period

If TCU and Oregon win out, not necessarily.

TCU doesn't have a CCG. What top 10 team would Oregon play in their CCG?

I disagree, not because Oregon wouldn't play a top 10 team in their CCG, but if MSU wins, how do you look at 1 loss MSU and 1 loss Oregon and give MSU the nod? H2H has to be the biggest factor at that point unless something major injury wise happens.

How do they seriously justify and feel good about themselves of they leave out 2 conference champions to bring in a second SEC school. I know there is alot of football left but good grief. I expected the committee to not be so stupid.

I really think that there shouldn't be 2 from any conference in the top 4. Let alone 3.

Who is currently a conference champion?

Hmm...I dunno. Seriously?

In context of having 4 conferences represented rather than 2.

While this first set is irrelevant, it just shows how much bullsh#t it is to say the SEC is so far ahead of any other conference if it were the real thing. 4 team playoff with 3 SEC teams, meaning a potential SEC national champ could go through both games without playing anyone from outside their own conference. Like 2011. HOW DO WE KNOW. No one else gets another shot. New Years day bowl games with the Big 10-while we need to start winning these things-are not nearly the blowouts ESPN wants you to think they are, and are actually usually pretty close. The thing is, the SEC is put so far up the pedestal, that they never have to prove it against anyone else. Proving it against itself is deemed as good enough.

first a little: THEY NEVER HAVE TO PROVE ANYTHING!

and then a little: yeah, most of the time when we play them in the bowls they win.

espn seems quite reasonable in saying they are not head and shoulders above everyone else, but they are the best. and furthermore, they are the most interesting, which is the most important. name one game this week more interesting than auburn/ole miss? and why is it more interesting? because right now they are both in the playoff. one will be making their exit. which leads me to my next point. this is going to work itself out. as you said, attrition will be the downfall of the SEC (a rough by-product of having to play good teams). so no reason to get worked up. and until other conference beat the big 10 more than they lose, we really cannot complain.

Everything I heard said that conference champions mean the most. Oregon should have been the #4, not Ole Miss.

We have no conference champions yet.

yes, but were will you find 3 SEC conference champions other than $$$$$$$ (oh I mean ESPN)

You must have missed the part about not being able to factor in conference champions until after Dec 7th so the Dec 8th rankings could look way different.

How do they seriously justify and feel good about themselves of they leave out 2 conference champions to bring in a second SEC school. I know there is alot of football left but good grief. I expected the committee to not be so stupid.

I really think that there shouldn't be 2 from any conference in the top 4. Let alone 3.

Who is currently a conference champion?

Hmm...I dunno. Seriously?

In context of having 4 conferences represented rather than 2.

My point is that no one is currently being left out. There are a lot of "ifs" and hand-wringing that will simply not materialize because teams currently at the top of the ranking will actually play each other.

My theory is as follows, if there are 4 undefeated and/or one-loss teams, and no more, they will be in the playoff:

Win out (of course)

Root for Mississippi St. to win out. We know one SEC team will be in the playoffs, so it gains nothing for them to lose. Let them win out, so that Bama gets another loss. We need all the other SEC teams to have two or more losses. That eliminates the rest of the SEC if there are 1 loss teams elsewhere. Mississippi State will be #1.

Root for Notre Dame to lose one more, or Florida State to lose two. Since Notre Dame losing one is more likely, root for that. So Florida State will be #2.

Now, there are two spots remaining, for the PAC-12, B1G, and Big 12. Here are the teams that have a chance from those places: Oregon, Arizona State, Arizona, Utah, Michigan State, Us, Ohio State, TCU, Kansas State, Baylor

Arizona, Utah, and Arizona State have all yet to play each other, so at best only one will emerge with one loss. Utah plays Oregon. We need to root for Utah against Oregon, then have Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah cannibalize each other, and if there is a one-loss team in the Pac-12 title game, we need to root for them to lose, so that there are no one loss teams out of that conference.

TCU and Kansas State, if not eliminated this week, will face each other next week. So one of them will be eliminated. Baylor and Kansas State must also face each other. There is a chance, then, that TCU and Baylor, having already met, would both have just 1 loss. However, since they have no conference championship game, only the conference title winner moves on, if at all, I think. Either way, we need a two-loss team to win that conference if the Pac-12 produces a one-loss winner. So, out of the odds, it'd be either Oregon/TCU as #3.

If there are no other one loss conference champs, and Nebraska wins out, we come in at #4.

I like your idea of florida state losing twice!! It seems impossible right now but miami's on a roll and they have florida state at home!! Best scenario would be for duke and georgia tech to lose one, then miami to win the ACC out right! Huge quality win for us and eliminates an ACC team in the playoff!!!

Sometimes, when everyone else in the (college football) world looks stupid, it's not everyone else. But go ahead and think that you know more than people like Tom Osborne.

Ole miss at #4 is laughable

Three SEC teams in the top four is complete garbage.

Here's why it's not. Suppose the committee really does want conference champions only when all else is close. So they go with 1. Miss St 2 FSU 3 Oregon 4 Mich St 5 Kansas St 6 Auburn 7 Alabama 8 Ole Miss even though they believe

Now suppose Miss St loses (twice so Auburn can go to the CCG), but the others in the top 6 wins out, impressively. Now they've got to jump SEC champ Auburn over a team that was basically told they were in and did everything they needed to do to stay there, and have to tell them, well, we thought Auburn was better than you all along but didn't want to be criticized for putting too many SEC teams up there early when it really didn't matter so much.

If this was a final ranking I'd be pissed too, since those SEC teams haven't distanced themselves from the rest of the 1 loss pack much at all.

Other than that though, the committee was told to take the 4 best teams, with a conference championship A factor, but not a requirement.