Bo on the Tuesday B1G Conference call - Abdullah's knee, the future of the D Line

knapplc

Well...I have a PTA(Physical Thrapist Assistant) degree with an inactive license right now since I am not practicing....

And I have a Bachelor's with a concentration in Exercise Science. I don't know what Polo does, but I can tell ya my current job is in inventory control and procurement....nothing related to my degrees lol. Maybe someday I'll pracTice PT. I do enjoy it...and miss it.

This is mostly just personal experience on my end. Make sure you stretch before athletic endeavors, you guys.

Actually I think the advice today is to warm up adequately before an activity, and static stretching before physical exertion has little to no affect on injury prevention and can sometime hinder performance.

A lot of power lifters don't stretch at all because it loosens the muscles. It was explained to me by my friend who is a competitive lifter. He said that you will actually lift heavier when not stretching cause your muscles are trying to get back to the original starting point at the beginning of the lift. He said it's like being a rubber band when you lift and don't stretch. The only warm up they do is a few sets of the lift that they are going to be doing.

I rarely doing any static stretching before I lift. I let the warm up sets be my mechanical dynamic stretching which works wonders for me.

Well...I have a PTA(Physical Thrapist Assistant) degree with an inactive license right now since I am not practicing....

And I have a Bachelor's with a concentration in Exercise Science. I don't know what Polo does, but I can tell ya my current job is in inventory control and procurement....nothing related to my degrees lol. Maybe someday I'll pracTice PT. I do enjoy it...and miss it.

This is mostly just personal experience on my end. Make sure you stretch before athletic endeavors, you guys.

Actually I think the advice today is to warm up adequately before an activity, and static stretching before physical exertion has little to no affect on injury prevention and can sometime hinder performance.
A lot of power lifters don't stretch at all because it loosens the muscles. It was explained to me by my friend who is a competitive lifter. He said that you will actually lift heavier when not stretching cause your muscles are trying to get back to the original starting point at the beginning of the lift. He said it's like being a rubber band when you lift and don't stretch. The only warm up they do is a few sets of the lift that they are going to be doing.
I rarely doing any static stretching before I lift. I let the warm up sets be my mechanical dynamic stretching which works wonders for me.

I am the same way. Every once in a while, I will use bands to warm up with but that's about it.

"A medial collateral ligament sprain, if in the very mild form, can be fully recovered from if adequate rest is given. With two weeks of no contact and no accelerating cuts, Abdullah should be ready to play.

Rex had the exact same injury however, it wasn't near as mild as Abdullah's sprain. And Rex was forced to play/practice earlier."
Source, a friend that is a physical therapist. Dabbles on the side with aquariums but I don't know anything about that.

^^^^ That's about right.

Abdullah's likely to be doing a lot of bike riding and can return to strength training when it doesn't irritate the ligament. Basically, nothing you do short of agility/speed work is going to put too much strain directly on your MCL. It's going to get some auxiliary stress from doing things like squats, leg press, etc., but I'd imagine they're not going to have him go balls to the wall and risk worsening anything. If anything, it would probably be pretty scaled back lifting.

The ligament will heal itself. But connective tissue like ligaments get much poorer blood flow than muscles themselves, and blood flow is what heals, so they just heal a lot slower than a strictly muscular injury.

The good thing is, it sounds like AA's injury is pretty minor.

"A medial collateral ligament sprain, if in the very mild form, can be fully recovered from if adequate rest is given. With two weeks of no contact and no accelerating cuts, Abdullah should be ready to play.

Rex had the exact same injury however, it wasn't near as mild as Abdullah's sprain. And Rex was forced to play/practice earlier."
Source, a friend that is a physical therapist. Dabbles on the side with aquariums but I don't know anything about that.

Was Rex forced? Or did he want to get out on the field because he's a competitive guy? I know it's something your friend told you, but I find it hard to believe that the coaches would play him before they got the OK from the training staff. Also he reinjured the knee at OSU that year and was playing fine before that.

Was Rex forced? Or did he want to get out on the field because he's a competitive guy? I know it's something your friend told you, but I find it hard to believe that the coaches would play him before they got the OK from the training staff. Also he reinjured the knee at OSU that year and was playing fine before that.

He's not inside the athletic department or anything he's just giving his knowledge as a PT, so his use of words in regards to Rex is probably just an honest mistake.

Rex missed three weeks, then saw limited action against Idaho State and Wisconsin before reinjuring against Ohio State, then being out another 6 weeks until Iowa. Unless he tried coming back one more time in that period that I'm missing.

He's not inside the athletic department or anything he's just giving his knowledge as a PT, so his use of words in regards to Rex is probably just an honest mistake.

Rex missed three weeks, then saw limited action against Idaho State and Wisconsin before reinjuring against Ohio State, then being out another 6 weeks until Iowa. Unless he tried coming back one more time in that period that I'm missing.

Your timeline is right with Burkhead.

There is a big difference between a power lifter and an athlete like a football player.

I know elite athletes that just thought they didn't need to stretch and they were plagued with injuries such as hamstrings.

Once someone finally convinced them they needed to warm up then stretch the problem went away.

Warm up yes, stretch, no. Active range of motion gradually increasing intensity replicating the movements in the activity. Static stretching is a sick and dying sacred cow.

There is a big difference between a power lifter and an athlete like a football player.

I know elite athletes that just thought they didn't need to stretch and they were plagued with injuries such as hamstrings.

Once someone finally convinced them they needed to warm up then stretch the problem went away.

Warm up yes, stretch, no. Active range of motion gradually increasing intensity replicating the movements in the activity. Static stretching is a sick and dying sacred cow.

Not to harp, but another common problem with hamstrings is muscle imbalance. Usually from guys not using a full range of motion on lifts, or emphasizing the wrong lifts in their routine. And that will carry over to all sports.

It's becoming less and less common at all levels to have pregame stretching, the only team I've seen do it at and elite level in college (as a team anyway) was Miami. I'm sure some guys still do it on their own as a routine, but I think today the thought is stretch after the activity or not at all if you don't have flexibility or tightness issues. I do know from my limited running experience lately that stretching post run does help alleviate some soreness the next day.