Well now we have another trophy to play for

Sker4Ever

Yahoo Sports chimes in

and mocks the idea. But they also said this which makes a lot of sense:

They both have great programs and now that they are in the same division, perhaps it will get intense. Can't the league wait for something organic to just come up, a farm animal wager or a stolen cannon or a suspected poisoning or the mocking of Runza meat pies or a mean-spirited joke about the great G. Heileman that simply can't be tolerated?

I don't know. I feel like folks are ripping on this trophy and the idea behind it because of its intention to honor Nebraska/Wisconsin veterans through a college football game. It feels to me that folks are upset that veterans are being honored with it. Like if your gonna make a rivalry trophy between Nebraska and Wisconsin, leave the veterans out of it.

I see it as an opportunity for both universities to really use it as a platform to help veterans in both states and communities. That's my 2 cents on the subject.

I don't know. I feel like folks are ripping on this trophy and the idea behind it because of its intention to honor Nebraska/Wisconsin veterans through a college football game. It feels to me that folks are upset that veterans are being honored with it. Like if your gonna make a rivalry trophy between Nebraska and Wisconsin, leave the veterans out of it.

I see it as an opportunity for both universities to really use it as a platform to help veterans in both states and communities. That's my 2 cents on the subject.

Yeah if both teams donate half of profits from the game to help veterans. Otherwise it is just for show. Ps I served in the army

My problem with it is that most of the new trophies of the past few years are all associated with some variant of freedom, heroes, etc. Look at the other great rivalry trophies in the conference and you'll see they all have character because they have some quirkiness to them. I'm all for honoring those who serve our country but trophies like this are sterile IMO and are the product of focus groups and athletic marketing departments who are too afraid to think outside of the box/offend anyone with a new trophy, so they instead opt for the safe, uncontroversial route and slap a big ol' American flag on everything.

• Fire 1

There are plenty of ways the schools can honor veterans without a manufactured trophy to pass back and forth.

• Fire 1

Yeah if both teams donate half of profits from the game to help veterans. Otherwise it is just for show. Ps I served in the army

Iraq Vet here. It looks pretty sweet at least. I get what they're going for, but the name is lame. Want to honor veterans? Call it the veterans trophy. I don't think we need money donated from the game to some unnamed charity though.

I mean, here's Pizza Ranch just begging to be made into trophy form.....

Could you imagine how pumped up recruits would be if we brought home the HyVee Heroes Trophy and The Pizza Ranch Classic in the same year?

Throw in the Plumbers Hero Plaque and the five stars roll in.

Not at all. But a rivalry trophy has to have a rivalry first. Wisconsin and Nebraska have played a total of 8 times. Contrast that to the axe game that has been played every year, but one, since 1890.

Wait a couple of decades. If things get heated, then "thinking up" a trophy won't be necessary, it will just be mutually agreed upon.

Wisconsin and Iowa have played 80 or 90 times in a very even series. A few years ago a trophy (the name totally escapes me) was "thought up". It's pretty meaningless. However, the Wisconsin and Iowa managers square off in a game the Friday night before the varsity football game. They compete for the rusty tool box. Now that trophy has meaning (at least to the managers) and certainly has character.

My problem with it is that most of the new trophies of the past few years are all associated with some variant of freedom, heroes, etc. Look at the other great rivalry trophies in the conference and you'll see they all have character because they have some quirkiness to them. I'm all for honoring those who serve our country but trophies like this are sterile IMO and are the product of focus groups and athletic marketing departments who are too afraid to think outside of the box/offend anyone with a new trophy, so they instead opt for the safe, uncontroversial route and slap a big ol' American flag on everything.

good point. Some of the best rivalry stories and traditions started with acts that would today be prosecuted in court and seen as juvenile acts of thuggery at best, criminal at worst.

At least I can see a legit rivalry building with Wisky, unlike the manufactured one with Iowa.

I wouldnt call two blowouts out of three games a rivalry. Also if Alverez wasnt at Wisconsin i really wonder if we would attempt a rivalry with them. Let's face it, none of the B1G opponents feel anything like a rivalry. Nebraska and Colorado were real rivals. They hated us, we hated them. It has tradition being a Black Friday game yearly. I for one thought I'd never say this, but like some have said, I miss playing Big 12 schools. I miss playing Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma state, k state, Missouri, Colorado, A&M etc. it just took a few years to realize it.

BooThisMan.gif