Please tell me the difference

HANC

Hello everyone, sorry for the long time away from the board, but during my high school season, I spend all free time focusing on our team, and watching on Saturdays.

But now that we are finished for the season, time to be back !!!

Anyone who has followed the board, knows that I have been a Bo backer, but last week was the game that made the last rat leave the ship ...ME...

Being a coach, it is difficult for me to complain about coaches, but I think that this is a case when a program and a coach need a fresh start !!

My question: Over the years, we talk about how hard it is to recruit to Nebraska.... Cold, middle of nowhere, Big 10 country....yada,..yada..yada.

Correct me if I am wrong: KSU = cold, middle of nowhere (worse than lIncoln)..... still pretty dang good team

MSU = cold, middle of nowhere... still pretty dang good team

OSU = cold, middle of nowhere...still pretty stinkin good team

Wiscy = cold, middle of nowhere...but better than Lincoln.....still pretty good team

These teams have all the same "problems" with recruiting as Nebraska, but have either been in the top 10, gone to a BCS bowl, and are typically respected among National media.......none of the things Nebraska is doing.

Why are they BETTER?.... ATHLETES?..... if so, why are they beating us at recruiting

'or

Coaching ?

• Fire 1

Hello everyone, sorry for the long time away from the board, but during my high school season, I spend all free time focusing on our team, and watching on Saturdays.

But now that we are finished for the season, time to be back !!!

Anyone who has followed the board, knows that I have been a Bo backer, but last week was the game that made the last rat leave the ship ...ME...

Being a coach, it is difficult for me to complain about coaches, but I think that this is a case when a program and a coach need a fresh start !!

My question: Over the years, we talk about how hard it is to recruit to Nebraska.... Cold, middle of nowhere, Big 10 country....yada,..yada..yada.

Correct me if I am wrong: KSU = cold, middle of nowhere (worse than lIncoln)..... still pretty dang good team

MSU = cold, middle of nowhere... still pretty dang good team

OSU = cold, middle of nowhere...still pretty stinkin good team

Wiscy = cold, middle of nowhere...but better than Lincoln.....still pretty good team

These teams have all the same "problems" with recruiting as Nebraska, but have either been in the top 10, gone to a BCS bowl, and are typically respected among National media.......none of the things Nebraska is doing.

Why are they BETTER?.... ATHLETES?..... if so, why are they beating us at recruiting

'or

Coaching ?

Coaches recruit athletes. They sell parents on the idea that their sons will be okay under their guardianship.

They also sell their program. They tout their accomplishments as a team, along with the facilities.

Coaches coach up athletes. They mold them into what each player wants to be, whilst winning games.

That's how it's SUPPOSED to be, at least.

Let me let Daniel Plainview tell it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoLsqnKRKw

Columbus, Ohio is hardly the "middle of nowhere" and neither is East Lansing or Madison for that matter. And what is "middle of nowhere"? Is Podunk Auburn,Alabama and College Station,Texas middle of nowhere? A lot of college towns in the south are "middle of nowhere" type places.

What MIGHT make it easier to win at OSU is because Ohio football is pretty darn good and it would be even better if they'd allow Spring Football.

Wisconsin has a great consistent culture dating back to the early 90's. they don't change too much and they don't expect too much as a fan base. Same with Sparty. good culture, low expectations.

Screen+shot+2011-04-08+at+4.37.58+PM.png

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/6trP5t2zy0WYPX1S2zE7EQ/texas-tops-the-list-of-the-best-high-school-football-states-in-the-country.htm

Columbus, Ohio is hardly the "middle of nowhere" and neither is East Lansing or Madison for that matter. And what is "middle of nowhere"? Is Podunk Auburn,Alabama and College Station,Texas middle of nowhere? A lot of college towns in the south are "middle of nowhere" type places.

What MIGHT make it easier to win at OSU is because Ohio football is pretty darn good and it would be even better if they'd allow Spring Football.

Wisconsin has a great consistent culture dating back to the early 90's. they don't change too much and they don't expect too much as a fan base. Same with Sparty. good culture, low expectations.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/6trP5t2zy0WYPX1S2zE7EQ/texas-tops-the-list-of-the-best-high-school-football-states-in-the-country.htm

So you're saying we should lower our expectations?

You know what all those teams have in common? An offensive identity that they recruit specifically for. Our offense has the furthest thing from an identity as mentioned on this board countless times.

Nope. Those teams have been known to pass on first down, use a multiplicity of weapons to exploit defenses as needed, and recruit big talented offensive lineman, just like any offense would.

They also pride themselves on their defense, which makes an offense's job a lot easier.

It's not that Nebraska doesn't have an offensive identity. It's that both offense and defense play poorly in big games. That's our identity and that's what stings.

Columbus Ohio is not the middle of nowhere. Its a somewhay large city with a population greater than the amount of ppl in this state located in the 7th most populated state in AmeRica

East Lansing mi is not the middle of nowhere. It is outside the capital of the 9th most populated state in the nation

Madison is not in the middle of nowhere, b it's arguably the best college town in the nation and it's nearby Milwaukee.

Lincoln and ksu are definitely the middle of nowhere. We are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to local talent. This is one of the least populated states in the nation, so there is little talent compared to ohio, Michigan, and wisconsin

So you're saying we should lower our expectations?

No offense to Wisconsin or Sparty, but if these are the programs you're trying to emulate then you've already had them lowered.

• Fire 1

Lincoln is not exactly in the "middle of nowhere." Its a city of over 250,000 which is about ten times that of many college towns, and right down the Interstate from Omaha.

What those teams have in common is they have a plan, and build everything around it. They know exactly what they want to do on both offense and defense, and can clearly state it.

Nebraska can not currently say that. Ask the coaches, the offense is "multiple" and wants to "take what the defense gives them" which sounds just fine if you are the New England Patriots. But with college ball, you need to know what you want to do. Take what the defense gives you is a bit of a problem when they can take your running game away, and your QB can't throw short routes, and ends up under 50% completion percentage.

Now the defense knows what it wants to do, which is take away the pass and make a team make mistakes. Now that philosophy worked wonderfully in the Big XII where most of the teams would routinely forget that running backs were even on the roster. But in the Big Ten, teams will keep running the ball regardless, and the pass is the secondary thought. Wisconsin or Minnesota really wouldn't care if they never threw a pass in a game.