Bo vs Top 25 offenses.

NUpolo8

A huge argument over Nebraska's record of late has been the relative ease of the Big Ten. A writer for the Omaha newspaper who shall go nameless here was kindly enough to compare Bo's defense against everyone's favorite voodoo doll subject, Kevin Cosgrove.

>> One thing the Big Ten has done is shield Nebraskas defense from speed and skill. Watch quarterbacks and receivers in the Big Ten compared to the Big 12, SEC or Pac-12. Theres a noticeable difference, even on TV.

Since Nebraska has joined the Big Ten in 2011, its faced only 10 offenses ranked among the nations top 25 in total yards or scoring. How did the Blackshirts fare?

59 points, 627 yards (Wisconsin 14)

49 points, 498 yards (Ohio State 12)

48 points, 486 yards (Wisconsin 11)

45 points, 589 yards (Georgia 12)

41 points, 504 yards (UCLA 13)

38 points, 420 yards (Washington 11)

34 points, 653 yards (UCLA 12)

34 points, 602 yards (Wyoming 13)

19 points, 416 yards (Georgia 13)*

6 points, 286 yards (Arkansas State 12)

* The Bulldogs clearly werent a top-25-caliber offense without injured Aaron Murray, but they're still on the list.

Notice this doesnt include the 2012 Big Ten championship game or the 2011 Michigan game.

Let's compare those numbers to Kevin Cosgrove.

In Cosgroves four years as defensive coordinator, he faced 13 offenses that finished in the top 25 in scoring or total yards.

76/572 (Kansas 07)

70/523 (Texas Tech 04)

45/551 (Oklahoma State 07)

41/606 (Missouri 07)

41/523 (Missouri 05)

41/496 (Oklahoma State 06)

34/412 (Texas Tech 05)

30/511 (Oklahoma 04)

28/545 (Texas 07)

28/399 (USC 06)

27/443 (Texas A&M 06)

22/348 (Texas 06)

20/363 (Missouri 06)

(Notable opponents that werent top-25 offenses: USC 2007, Ball State 2007 and Colorado 2007.)

Pelinis averages against top-25 offenses 2011-14: 37.3 points, 508.1 yards.

Cosgroves averages against top-25 offenses 2004-07: 38.7 points, 484 yards.

Almost identical.

It's time the "defensive guru" lost his title.

Here's the link, where some other interesting topics are discussed. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mad-chatter-do-bo-pelini-s-sideline-tirades-cause-husker/article_f6154612-6f46-11e4-ba7c-13a1b6de5b8f.html?mode=jqm

• Fire 4

He's a defensive guru when he has nfl level talent. If you give him 11 guys who have freakish talent, he can develop them into a top defensive. When we don't have guys right for his system, we suck against good teams and look average against poor teams. It's unrealstic to think we will have to same defensive talent we did in 2009. Those were all Billy Cs guys who has had better classes than Bo. Maybe it's time Bo tries some new defensive schemes.

I actually began to question Bo's coaching ability after Texas beat us during the 2010 season when Texas couldn't beat their way out of a brown paper bag. I chalked it up as a fluke. Even after the 2011 beat down's at the hands of Wisconsin and Michigan, I told myself that it was probably due to our being new to the conference and not used to the way Big Ten football was played.

2012 verified my suspicions however; Bo does not know how to coach. He is great at beating lesser opponents but on the big stage he completely flops.

Here is one thing I recently asked myself; if Bill Callahan were still coach, could he have accomplished the same as Bo? The scary thing is, I believe that he could. Bo's best defensive years were with Callahan's players so maybe Callahan (not defending the man) had turned the corner with the poor defenses.

So what we have today is a fanbase that is afraid to change coaches but what they don't realize is that we have exactly the same as we had with Bill Callahan but with worse recruiting and more childish behavior.

Looks like we are heading to the Holiday Bowl, any bets on who will win?

Holiday Bowl Dec. 27 San Diego, Calif. Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Nebraska vs. UCLA

I actually began to question Bo's coaching ability after Texas beat us during the 2010 season when Texas couldn't beat their way out of a brown paper bag. I chalked it up as a fluke. Even after the 2011 beat down's at the hands of Wisconsin and Michigan, I told myself that it was probably due to our being new to the conference and not used to the way Big Ten football was played.

2012 verified my suspicions however; Bo does not know how to coach. He is great at beating lesser opponents but on the big stage he completely flops.

Here is one thing I recently asked myself; if Bill Callahan were still coach, could he have accomplished the same as Bo? The scary thing is, I believe that he could. Bo's best defensive years were with Callahan's players so maybe Callahan (not defending the man) had turned the corner with the poor defenses.

So what we have today is a fanbase that is afraid to change coaches but what they don't realize is that we have exactly the same as we had with Bill Callahan but with worse recruiting and more childish behavior.

Looks like we are heading to the Holiday Bowl, any bets on who will win?

Holiday Bowl Dec. 27 San Diego, Calif. Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Nebraska vs. UCLA

ive already said this. Just based on the eye test. Callhan woulda been able to win 9 and 10 games in this firsaken conference.

This is what its come to. Comparing the two. Occupational hazard i guess. Lol