Player tweets on Pelini firing

This "climate" is part of the problem we have had with Pelini.

Nope. The climate is the toxic one in where fans claim the team and the game as their own. The fans don't train, practice, sweat, bleed, take the bus rides, study the playbook, do the strength and conditioning, feel the pain, etc., etc., yet the feel like they are a HUGE part of it because they have cable, buy a shirt, or plunk their @$$ down on a seat.

College football was supposed to be for the college students. Unfortunately, college students don't have the income, so marketing morphed it into a way to milk fans of their cash. In return, a 50 year old overweight and out of shape man feels he has the right to say "WE won the national championship!" because he bought an overpriced jersey.

My guess is that the players would have just as much fun playing even if you and I didn't watch them, discuss, them, or tweet them.

yes-rudy1.gif

Your guess is wrong.

Nope. I have seen / coached players. They seem to have more fun when old people aren't trying to put themselves into the game.

Thanks for your opinion though, I'll file it away for future reference...

...or not...

I find it unlikely you've coached at a division I school. Fan adoration and $ is very important to heavily recruited players. They like football, but a big part of the reason they like football is the idea of playing in front of thousands of fans and playing on TV. For the walk ons, you might be correct.

• Fire 4

Nope. The climate is the toxic one in where fans claim the team and the game as their own. The fans don't train, practice, sweat, bleed, take the bus rides, study the playbook, do the strength and conditioning, feel the pain, etc., etc., yet the feel like they are a HUGE part of it because they have cable, buy a shirt, or plunk their @$$ down on a seat.

College football was supposed to be for the college students. Unfortunately, college students don't have the income, so marketing morphed it into a way to milk fans of their cash. In return, a 50 year old overweight and out of shape man feels he has the right to say "WE won the national championship!" because he bought an overpriced jersey.

My guess is that the players would have just as much fun playing even if you and I didn't watch them, discuss, them, or tweet them.

You think any of these guys would be here for an empty stadium?

• Fire 1

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. Heaven forbid we should expect our coach to teach class, respect and tact, I am not surprised some of the athletes are going about this the wrong way on twitter. Without the fans and the MONEY we generate for the program, there would be NO Husker football as we know it. Don't think that didn't factor into today's decision, as a matter of fact, Eichorst said as much during the press conference. Also, don't think Bo's negative attitude towards we the fans hasn't rubbed off on the players at times to a certain degree. Again, we can agree to disagree, it's all good.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Solution: Lets stop donations. Medical facilities, athletic facilities, academic centers, stadium renovations - everything that us '50 year old overweight and out of shape men' help create solely for student-athletes just to make sure these kids lives are as easy as humanly possible while they are here, lets just get rid of them.

Stop going to the games, because our cheering is pointless since we are not apart of this thing.

The tens of millions of dollars spent to provide these athletes the best coaching possible? Meh. We can do without that to.

We can line up a game in the park, with some volunteer coaches, and have them wear that N on the side of their helmet. That's the solution. :sarcasm

• Fire 2

It's not even possible for the players to look at this rationally, especially on the day of the announcement because this is their friend/mentor/father figure/coach and they love him.

The problem is he wasn't being paid to be their father figure. Lots of people are qualified for that. Most people aren't qualified to coach a division I football team.

• Fire 2

BS. The players have no problem when crowd is loud and the accolades are pouring in and they make the plays of the week on ESPN. They have very little issue with the positive attention they get i would imagine. And that positive attention is the direct result of fan interest in the sport. I get your point to an extent about the whole WE won thing because that is annoying,but don't underestimate the role fans play. Look at Kentucky football. No great players dream of playing football at Kentucky. Why? Be use for the most part the fans aren't invested passionately. Yet for basketball, they literally pick whoever they want every year.

Players want to be on a big stage, but you take the good with the bad on the big stage.

Understand why they are upset, but trashing the program displays perfectly why this era had to end. The battle lines were drawn and being reinforced by the coaching staff. The program is toxic and honestly while I'm happy for a fresh start, I fully expect things to get worse before theyget better. The damage Pellini did to the relationship between the players and the fans and university will not be easy to fix.

• Fire 1

If Bo truly cares about the development as men and the futures of his players, he will get a handle on this and help these guys prepare for transition, and not permit any fall on the sword to avenge him nonsense.

Forgive me for being a little skeptical.

He may not be able to meet with the players, and right now, all the players are scattered and not on campus.

It's not even possible for the players to look at this rationally, especially on the day of the announcement because this is their friend/mentor/father figure/coach and they love him.

The problem is he wasn't being paid to be their father figure. Lots of people are qualified for that. Most people aren't qualified to coach a division I football team.

I think it is possible to be upset without publicly trashing the university which has provided a free education and the fans the vast majority of which do nothing but cheer these guys on every week like heroes. But that's the times and the internet. It allows us all to spout raw emotion from time to time without the benefit of time and perspective.

I just hope some of them stick around d after having time to reflect.

Deadspin posted a picture of a recruit throwing his offer letter away