[This is a write up, coving the process of the hiring of Nebraska's new head coach]

The state of Nebraska was rocked on the morning of November 30th when the news of the firing of the Cornhuskers’ head football coach, Bo Pelini, was released. The big question for the university is who will succeed the Bo Pelini regime. Early on, there are a few options for Shawn Eichorst, the Athletic Director at Nebraska, who will be making a career defining decision in the process. After a few days, the early candidates being mentioned, and that Eichorst will want to contact, include Gary Patterson (HC, TCU), Scott Frost (OC, Oregon), Pat Narduzzi (DC, MSU), Justin Fuente (HC, Memphis), Dan Mullen (HC, Miss St), Mark Richt (HC, Georgia), and Greg Schiano (ex Tampa Bay Bucs HC). All of these men are viable options for the head coaching position at Nebraska.

Many experts seem to believe that Nebraska wants to head in the direction of an experience head coach, which would point to either Gary Patterson, Justin Fuente, or Dan Mullen. Patterson and Mullen would be home-run hires for Eichorst and Nebraska, but both options seem almost too good to be true. Nebraska, in contrast to Patterson’s TCU and Mullen’s Mississippi State, is a historic program with a tradition of success unlike the others, but it would take a monumentus decision to leave from the great situations that both coaches have created for themselves at their respected positions. It is unlikely that both coaches would consider Nebraska, but it is possible that one could be tempted by Shawn Eichorst to join the Husker Nation. The most recent of rumors is that Mark Richt, the head coach of Georgia who was born in Omaha, but moved to Florida where he graduated high school, would be a great fit for Nebraska, as he has early ties to Nebraska, but brings the southern experience to our football program. He seemingly is the favorite for the hire, and currently, he is under a bit of fire from Bulldogs’ fans as Georgia blew a chance at the SEC championship, none the less, Richt would be a great fit for Nebraska if Eichorst can lure him away from the SEC.

Opposed to an experienced head coach, Eichorst could still decide to hire a coordinator, as was Pelini before his stunt at UNL. If Eichorst chose this route, the most viable options would be Scott Frost of Oregon and Pat Narduzzi of Michigan State, but because of how first time head coach Bo Pelini turned out, it seems unlikely that Eichorst would make a similar decision here. With that in mind, keep current head coaches on the radar and in the news.

Many reports expect Eichorst already has it narrowed down to two or three options, which is why he fired Bo in a hurry over the weekend and stated that “the decision [to fire Bo] in my mind crystallized Saturday night.” It could be that he got confirmation from either a coach, or confirmation of extreme consideration from a few coaches and decided that an effective replacement would be available for the Huskers. With Eichorst’s narrow list of candidates, we can expect an announcement in a few weeks around mid December.

Many reports expect Eichorst already has it narrowed down to two or three options, which is why he fired Bo in a hurry over the weekend and stated that “the decision [to fire Bo] in my mind crystallized Saturday night.” It could be that he got confirmation from either a coach, or confirmation of extreme consideration from a few coaches and decided that an effective replacement would be available for the Huskers. With Eichorst’s narrow list of candidates, we can expect an announcement in a few weeks around mid December.

1. Welcome to HB

2. Several of those mentioned are good candidates

3. The crystalized comment is what I thought was a hint, sort of. I think he received some solid feedback of high interest/consideration from a few interested candidates that were on his prioritized short list. And the wheels of a verbal handshake were in place. Just sitting back because I don't know who it is, but will be announced soon.

4. The main key needs to be a coach that can bring in quality/real good Assistant coaches, recruiting desires, championship goals (CC to NC), leadership & unity, and on and off the field accountability that empowers the Nebraska way. Bridging some Husker tradition while moving forward towards a new Husker era.

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I completely agree. If I had a preference, I honestly would look to Mark Richt. Obviously there are many who disagree, but I think because of his Nebraska background, and the seemingly good job he has done at Georgia, I think he could a recruiting interest we haven't had, considering he grew up in Florida and coached at Georgia. It would definitely make it easier for him to connect with guys from the deep south states unlike Pelini or Callahan have done in the past.

Bo Pelini has done better over the past seven years than Richt has. In 2010, he had a losing record for crying out loud. In 2013, he was 8-5. He typically ends up with a top 10 recruiting class, but he doesn't do a great job with them. I'd compare him with Mack Brown as being a great recruiter but a subpar coach. He has won two SEC titles, but it was back before the SEC was dominating the NC's. I'm not even sure we'd get a lateral move by making him our coach.

• Fire 3

If they had a gun to my head I'd say he already has a commitment and can't announce it until after the Bowl games. Other than that, I have no idea.

a gun to your head and you spew out this? there will be an announcement as soon as possible to get a start on recruiting. if there is nothing announced until after the bowl games we're as good as f'd.

If they had a gun to my head I'd say he already has a commitment and can't announce it until after the Bowl games. Other than that, I have no idea.

a gun to your head and you spew out this? there will be an announcement as soon as possible to get a start on recruiting. if there is nothing announced until after the bowl games we're as good as f'd.

Agreed. Unless SE manages to completely Pederson this search, there's no way they wait on an announcement until January. I'd be shocked if we hear anything until after this weekend's games are in the books, though.

If were actually willing to spend money like Eichorst said wouldn't be a problem, then why in the hell would we settle for someones leftovers? If you can't win at Georgia then how is he supposed to win at NU? Enough with these leftover, down on their luck guys. I say we steal someone who is at the top of their coaching game, Briles or whoever. Otherwise whats the point? Why not just hire another mediocre coach and save some money?

If were actually willing to spend money like Eichorst said wouldn't be a problem, then why in the hell would we settle for someones leftovers? If you can't win at Georgia then how is he supposed to win at NU? Enough with these leftover, down on their luck guys. I say we steal someone who is at the top of their coaching game, Briles or whoever. Otherwise whats the point? Why not just hire another mediocre coach and save some money?

In that case, LSU had no business hiring their last 2 coaches that won them National Championships

I have said all along (not necessarily on HB), but I would love Richt… he is one of my favorite coaches

I agree with this I think he needs a new job at a big name school like Nebraska, some Georgia fans aren't satisfied with him and the Big Ten West is an easier division to be in as the SEC is a grind every game you play or coach