Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

Good afternoon, all. Longtime looker and first time poster.

First off I've been following Nebraska football now for more than a few years. I used to take the bus to downtown Lincoln to watch games as a kid and sit in the 50-cent knothole section. Thus my username :mellow:

To be honest, I've been astonished at the number of board members who thought we were going to hire Jim Tressel. With his history of NCAA violations? Really? Seriously? Say what you will about Eichorst, he was never bringing in Tressel.

I was expecting us to hire someone with Big Ten ties. Maybe Pat Fitzgerald as a long shot. Well that obviously did not happen today.

So where does that leave us? I'll admit I knew very little about Mike Riley before today. But I'm reading some things I like. He sounds like he can recruit in California and Texas. Not a bad start. It also sounds like he can develop quarterbacks. Let's face it, quarterback has not been our strongest position over the last 6 years, although Armstrong seems to be getting better. It also sounds like Riley's teams are disciplined. Sounds good to me! Riley also sounds like a great guy. A class guy. No more TV cameras focused on our head coach waiting for the next "blow up." Don't discount the importance of this. All in all a good mixture of ingredients!

I have no doubt that Eichorst was looking for a coach who has a positive outlook and positive energy. He's found his guy in Riley. As fans we have two choices: rally behind the selection and give Riley a chance, or be negative about it and already be thinking and posting about "the next guy."

I know what path I'm taking. What will yours be?

GBR

• Fire 7

Apparently Ed Orgeron would be interested in working with Coach Riley. Sign him up please and thank you

GBR

https://mobile.twitter.com/lemmingreport

I keep going back to the Slim Shady guy we chased off the sock thread. He said his source told him you wouldnt be fully apprciative until you saw the full staff. If Ed O is on board, that changes alot for me. He can coach D and recruits great. Plus I think he might be willing to stay a few years as a coordinator having had some recent HC ventures that werent quite ideal.

Ever so slightly as the initial shock and dismay wears off, Im coming around

All of the bashing going on right now, when he hasn't even coached a game here yet. I think it will end up being a great hire. A lot of people say he's a first class guy and having that at nebraska is the first time since T.O. Could attract some recruits for sure, and has developed a lot of solid players over the years. I bet this years Oregon State team would have been just as good as us. Their schedule was much tougher than ours. Still hoping we get Frost as an O.C.

• Plus1 1

My initial reaction upon hearing the news was like many others here . . . "Who the hell is Mike Riley?". But after reading up on the man a little bit and giving it some thought, I'm thinking this will end up being a good hire. Sounds to me like he's been a guy that can do a lot with just a little, so now given Nebraska's resources and talent, I'm betting he can thrive here. Time will tell but I'm much more optimistic than I was a few hours ago.

GBR

• Fire 2

The thread title says welcome mike riley, not bash the new coach before he's officially on the job. I am as stunned and disappointed as anyone but it does NO GOOD to already start being negative.

Therefore, Hello Mike Riley and welcome to Nebraska! I just hope you have the winning formula in your back pocket because if not pull out your thick skin you will need it.