Mike Riley's Staff

I would think keeping at least a couple guys would go a long ways towards easing the currently players minds.

Smoother transition is good for everyone. Especially Warren who is as tied to Pelini (in terms of how long he's been here).

How valuable is a smooth transition? At what cost, I mean? We tired that with Watson and it could be argued it set us back overall.

Much different situations. I'm sure the players liked Cally to some extent but basically everyone knew he was gone. I really don't think the players expected this one.

Also, keeping position coaches is much different than keeping coordinators.

How do you not hire Orgeron if he's interested?

It's not quite that easy. Yes, Ed O may be interested, but do we know if Riley has any type of relationship with him? Head coaches typically like to hire coaches they are familiar with and have relationships with. Hiring complete strangers is not something they usually do.

Now, maybe Riley got to know Ed O while Ed O was at USC, but who really knows at this point. I just don't want people to be pissed if Ed O isn't hired.

How do you not hire Orgeron if he's interested?

It's not quite that easy. Yes, Ed O may be interested, but do we know if Riley has any type of relationship with him? Head coaches typically like to hire coaches they are familiar with and have relationships with. Hiring complete strangers is not something they usually do.

Now, maybe Riley got to know Ed O while Ed O was at USC, but who really knows at this point. I just don't want people to be pissed if Ed O isn't hired.

I always interview candidates and find the best possible fit. Regardless of if I know them or not. If Riley hires all of his buddies that isn't acceptable

• Fire 2