Mike Riley's Staff

Wish we had a crystal ball, two years from now we will either be:

1) On our way to rebuilding some national prominence and happy with our new coaching staff and team

2) Seeing TO return as interim AD as Eichorst and Riley are sent packing. TO then hires Frost from CSU to be our HC:)

Should be a very interesting couple of years...

Here's the catch, i don't think that TO will bail then out again if things take a turn for the worst.

That bridge has been burned more than once and Tom will be pushing 80.

1) On our way to rebuilding some national prominence and happy with our new coaching staff and team

2) Seeing TO return as interim AD as Eichorst and Riley are sent packing. TO then hires Frost from CSU to be our HC:)

I know this isn't what you meant but if we're still just on our way to rebuilding in two more years.......

Ah crap, but I didn't want to be too optimistic:) But yes, I know what you mean!

That is the problem I have with this hire. Bo did rebuild the program, we were supposed to get a proven coach to take us to the next level. I hope Riley is that coach, but there is many reasons for concern.

Also for the posters who keep saying very little talent at OSU. They've had more talent then Nebraska. They've played in a BCS bowl In last decade. They beat both UCLA and Winny in 2012. We lost both those games. Oregon State is not the arm pit all you trying to claim to justify this hire and believe.

Check their past 5 recruiting classes, Nebraska has far more 4+ star players. The difference is that they can teach & make their kids better.

What if the new staff can't get those high 3 and 4 star guys to come here?

We may have a few more wins the next few years and a 2007like fall off.

All signs point to the OSU staff being fantastic recruiters, I have no doubt they'll be able to pull at least the same caliber talent as Pelini & co.

Sounds like another staff we had here.

As a matter of fact, Banker being "well traveled " reminds me off a former secondary coach we had.

It's hard to explain anything to the ignorance!

Ah hem, Bill's staff was supposed great recruiters. Elmo was well traveled.

It didn't make them successful.

OSUs staff hasn't yet recruited to the level of Bo's staff.

Please explain my ignorance.

One more time: they did not have the facilities or resources they have now. Miles did not recruit big time players at Colo. St., but after year at NE he is putting together some the best basketball recruiting classes in our history. I am just saying that your argument holds no facts and give him & his new staff a chance.

True.

I'm just saying that history has shown us that being viewed as a good recruiting staff doesn't mean that this staff will be successful.

And this staff, whomever fills it out, hasn't proven that they can recruit quality talent to Lincoln.

Both of those statements are facts.

T doesn't mean that they won't recruit to a high level or be successful, it means that they have to prove it.

And your Miles comparison means nothing, unfortunately.

I agree that we need some top recruiters on this staff. I am just saying that Oregon St. is a sub-level power 5 school. I do not even consider them a second level.

Interesting. Kinda funny.

Something else to consider, even if this staff was good at recruiting in Corvallis, just walking into Lincoln does not automatically make their jobs easier. They need to open new recruiting avenues, think of things in state, they've likely never recruited this region much, and their west coast pipeline will likey not be as fertile as it used to be.

Thankfully,,Bo left us a solid class this year.

They appear to recruit well in TX & CA. The question lies in the south & midwest. As far as Bo's class, 4 or 5 would be coming here just because it is the Huskers.

The question for me is how much of what was holding Riley back Oregon State being, well, Oregon State. The more impactful that reason is, the better, because if he was really super hamstrung by Corvallis, if recruiting was really that much of a slog, then that's promising. Because while we're not Florida or Texas, Lincoln can offer a good bit, and it's a good college town.

Also for the posters who keep saying very little talent at OSU. They've had more talent then Nebraska. They've played in a BCS bowl In last decade. They beat both UCLA and Winny in 2012. We lost both those games. Oregon State is not the arm pit all you trying to claim to justify this hire and believe.

Check their past 5 recruiting classes, Nebraska has far more 4+ star players. The difference is that they can teach & make their kids better.

Then there shouldn't be a drop off from recent years considering this staffs ability to develop talent

Then there shouldn't be a drop off from recent years considering this staffs ability to develop talent

Whole new system to learn that is why a good DC is needed.

I rarely post on here, I'm usually just reading. But I thought I would post because there are a lot of posters on here that are sounding very disappointed with riley already after 2 days of him being head coach.

As much as I would like to see new blood on the staff and I would like to see some big name hires for coordinators and position coaches (just like I was hoping for in the head coach hiring before they announced riley which i was also shocked about but have warmed up to after researching him), I will give riley the benefit of the doubt to bring/keep whoever he thinks can get the job done until proven otherwise. First of all, having riley and anyone he brings in from his current staff IS new blood because they weren't coaching at nebraska previously. Also nobody knows what these coaches will do with our players and then the players they are now able to recruit at nebraska so to immediately say they will fail or that these are horrible decisions is misguiding thinking I believe. I also would put some weight towards the comment jason peter made that somebody posted on one of these threads saying that one of the best defensive coaches around told him we would be very happy to have banker. Not really saying that I want him to bring banker or that it is even official that he is bringing him, but if thats the decision he makes, im fine with it until the time comes that its not working. People can post stats until you are blue in the face that his win-loss record is worse or that the defensive rankings were worse, etc but there is no way possible to compare what these coaches did at oregon st to what they will do at nebraksa. Its just not possible to be able to equally compare them.

I think some people on here need to give riley and whoever he brings/keeps a chance to coach our team to championship football and wait to make such harsh, negative judgements until there is actually a reason to based on games that have been played.

• Fire 3

Whoever he hires do you think they could contact the current recruits before stealing others? With this small a class you'd think that would be a top priority. A ten minute phone call would do just to put their minds at ease.

Agreed.

Seems like this class may start unravelling. A few phone calls could do wonders.

By Rich Kaipust / World-Herald staff writer

LINCOLN — The expected migration of football staff from Oregon State to Nebraska might have begun Saturday, almost immediately on the heels of Mike Riley’s introduction as Husker head coach. But, according to one source, Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost isn't likely be joining Riley's NU staff. Although no hirings were confirmed Saturday, Trent Bray, Mark Banker, Bruce Read and Mike Cavanaugh all were linked to potential NU jobs by different media outlets.

A tweet by a SI reporter & footballscope.com. Wow, reliable sources.

• Fire 1

Personally, I am willing to give Riley the benefit of the doubt. But, with each "iffy" hire he makes, I think husker nation will be less forgiving when things go wrong. For this reason, I really hope he makes some strong hires for OC and DC.

Agree. Wish he'd make the time to talk every recruit committed considering this current class is better than anything he's brought in to OSU

I rarely post on here, I'm usually just reading. But I thought I would post because there are a lot of posters on here that are sounding very disappointed with riley already after 2 days of him being head coach.

As much as I would like to see new blood on the staff and I would like to see some big name hires for coordinators and position coaches (just like I was hoping for in the head coach hiring before they announced riley which i was also shocked about but have warmed up to after researching him), I will give riley the benefit of the doubt to bring/keep whoever he thinks can get the job done until proven otherwise. First of all, having riley and anyone he brings in from his current staff IS new blood because they weren't coaching at nebraska previously. Also nobody knows what these coaches will do with our players and then the players they are now able to recruit at nebraska so to immediately say they will fail or that these are horrible decisions is misguiding thinking I believe. I also would put some weight towards the comment jason peter made that somebody posted on one of these threads saying that one of the best defensive coaches around told him we would be very happy to have banker. Not really saying that I want him to bring banker or that it is even official that he is bringing him, but if thats the decision he makes, im fine with it until the time comes that its not working. People can post stats until you are blue in the face that his win-loss record is worse or that the defensive rankings were worse, etc but there is no way possible to compare what these coaches did at oregon st to what they will do at nebraksa. Its just not possible to be able to equally compare them.

I think some people on here need to give riley and whoever he brings/keeps a chance to coach our team to championship football and wait to make such harsh, negative judgements until there is actually a reason to based on games that have been played.

Bingo. Great post.