Mike Riley's Staff

I don't think I will ever understand why Coach O wasn't contacted, the guy wanted to be here... there is still time, hopefully Coach Mike will reach out to him.

I think I'd let that ship sail. Not only is it very unlikely to happen, from the reports I think there may be good reason to not go that route. And the two are likely related.

Oh, haven't heard much on the reports. Link? Or was it mentioned earlier in this thread?

I'm sure there are places that have the rumors out there. That's all they are - rumors. But let's just say his methods have been questioned.

fwiw, I saw a tweet earlier today from a guy at 247 talking about a coaches crystal ball, similar to their recruiting one, that they were testing out. He posted a screencap of it and they had a prediction for Banker and Orgeron to Nebraska. I will see if I can find it again. Again, fwiw.

• Fire 1

I'm a bit disappointed. I really thought Riley would have a short list of guys and really be ambitious about going after some guys other than ones he worked with.

Maybe this will all work out, but the last thing I wanted to hear was that he was bringing in what amounts to the entire f***ing OSU coaching staff.

Maybe they're good coaches in a bad situation....but with each hire we are basically hanging by the very thin opinion that Oregon St has had an all-star coaching staff, but was such an untenable situation that no one could've hoped to win there.

I wasn't expecting necessarily an all-star ensemble, but I was expecting Riley to put together a list of coordinators and position coaches that he knows and respects across all of college football. He's been around for a while and he knows a lot of people in the business, from what we're told.

Instead, he's bringing his old buddies, with whom he has won fewer games than he has lost recently. Just the facts.

• Fire 1

I've been a little underwhelmed by the reported staff so far, but I think some folks are going a little overboard in their criticisms. It's not like Riley went out and hired a golf coach, hired his brother, and promoted a couple interns to full-time assistants (and later DC). :D

I am happy the staff so far are adults with years of professional coaching experience. But I too am hoping he adds a little more splash to the staff, mainly for recruiting.

• Fire 1

Whoever he hires do you think they could contact the current recruits before stealing others? With this small a class you'd think that would be a top priority. A ten minute phone call would do just to put their minds at ease.

Riley's probably trying to nail down his staff before contacting recruits so he'll have answers when they ask who their position coaches will be.

The thing I have yet to see answered is, if all these assistants are top notch, recruiters, position experts, molders of young men, and all-round great guys, why do they seem to be stuck in OSU? We raise up a competent asst. and get pilfered within 2yrs. What keeps these guys glued to Corvallis? Riley pulling them out seems like the only way any of them could leave.

Optimism is waning and it's worse than the crash after a caffeine buzz. :hmmph

• Fire 1

The thing I have yet to see answered is, if all these assistants are top notch, recruiters, position experts, molders of young men, and all-round great guys, why do they seem to be stuck in OSU? We raise up a competent asst. and get pilfered within 2yrs. What keeps these guys glued to Corvallis? Riley pulling them out seems like the only way any of them could leave.

To bring your hopes up a bit his long time OC moved to coach QB's for the Giants(although Eli stinks this year so take that FWIW) and also coached Matt Moore, whom while unable to lock down a starting position has been a pretty solid backup QB for the Panthers & Dolphins when he hasn't been battling injuries.

Yeah, I agree. I can see it for the LBs coach -- he's young, a coach's son, has been LBs coach in a few different places under different mentors and just recently took up the OSU position.

This DC is experienced, no doubt, he's been with Riley almost his entire career, through Grey Cup wins and the NFL. But you'd think if he were well regarded another school would've given him an opportunity somewhere along the line.

Then again, the OL coach Cavanaugh has been at OSU for a decade, and he is very well regarded. So it's hard to say. And it does stand to reason that if Riley was doing good work in Corvallis, it wasn't on his lonesome.

Still -- the big test for Riley now is, OK, you now have all the resources you could have possibly imagined, and more, at your disposal. How will you make use of it? Or will you?

• Fire 1

To bring your hopes up a bit his long time OC moved to coach QB's for the Giants(although Eli stinks this year so take that FWIW) and also coached Matt Moore, whom while unable to lock down a starting position has been a pretty solid backup QB for the Panthers & Dolphins when he hasn't been battling injuries.

Yeah, I couldn't remember that dudes name (I'm not an NFL fan). Paul Chryst, now HC at Pitt and formerly the OC at Wisconsin, used to be Riley's OC at OSU.

Yeah, I couldn't remember that dudes name (I'm not an NFL fan). Paul Chryst, now HC at Pitt and formerly the OC at Wisconsin, used to be Riley's OC at OSU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Langsdorf

I honestly wouldn't be too upset to see him brought in as OC. They really showed a lot of QB development and our team needs that BADLY. I think Stanton can be a monster with the right coaches.

Whoever he hires do you think they could contact the current recruits before stealing others? With this small a class you'd think that would be a top priority. A ten minute phone call would do just to put their minds at ease.

Riley's probably trying to nail down his staff before contacting recruits so he'll have answers when they ask who their position coaches will be.

I just want him to contact them so they can get to know him. Have a casual conversation. Maybe talk about his days in Bama playing under Bear Bryant. Just so they can get to know him. This late in the year losing a bunch of our current class would be detrimental to future years. With such a small class it's imperative we make each recruit count.

I just want him to contact them so they can get to know him. Have a casual conversation. Maybe talk about his days in Bama playing under Bear Bryant. Just so they can get to know him. This late in the year losing a bunch of our current class would be detrimental to future years. With such a small class it's imperative we make each recruit count.

I hear ya. He's got a ton of coaching experience so hopefully he's aware of exactly what needs to be done. That should be the upside of hiring an older, established coach.

He doesn't even really have to have a long conversation with them. Just introduce himself a little bit and explain to them that it is a little hectic for him right now getting his coaching staff filled, but assure them that when that gets completed they will talk more and re-recruit them to Nebraska.
  • Fire 1