Mike Riley's Staff

I wish our "resources" would allow or "encourage" the hiring of proven, great assistant coaches. I will always give guys a chance to prove it, but at first glance, the numbers that follow these guys to Lincoln are not mind-blowing.

I am tired of hearing about how guys don't have resources, so it is an excuse. There are tons of guys working with lesser resources than Nebraska (and Oregon State), that have produced results.

Go get someone with RESULTS please !

But this guy treats people the right way and doesnt yell at players.

I wish our "resources" would allow or "encourage" the hiring of proven, great assistant coaches. I will always give guys a chance to prove it, but at first glance, the numbers that follow these guys to Lincoln are not mind-blowing.

I am tired of hearing about how guys don't have resources, so it is an excuse. There are tons of guys working with lesser resources than Nebraska (and Oregon State), that have produced results.

This is perfect, well said. I don't mind a few hires like this, but so far the entire staff is mostly old OSU guys without a great track record, particularly on defense.

Resources can only do so much. This guy from Cincinnati hasn't been hired, but he exemplifies the type of coaches we're looking at... unimpressive.

Nate Clouse@NateClouse 3m

New potential coaching candidate emerging for #Huskers? @HuskerOnline has more here: ($) http://rvls.co/1vEqwfI

B6HozGQCQAA8A8H.jpg

Not a member, don't recognize the guy, mind filling us in?

Hank Hughes. Co-defensive coordinator at Cincinnati.

Please no. Cinci's defense was absolutely horrible this year:

FBS RANKING DEFENSE Rushing 183.7 (82nd) Passing 255.4 (93rd) Overall 94th

I don't understand how him coming here as a position coach is effected by his CO- DC efforts. If we judge him by this, then Warren should be fired for his tenure as DC of Air Force.

Not disagreeing with you but rumors are we might have Co-DCs ourselves.

Nate Clouse@NateClouse 3m

New potential coaching candidate emerging for #Huskers? @HuskerOnline has more here: ($) http://rvls.co/1vEqwfI

B6HozGQCQAA8A8H.jpg

Not a member, don't recognize the guy, mind filling us in?

Hank Hughes. Co-defensive coordinator at Cincinnati.

Please no. Cinci's defense was absolutely horrible this year:

FBS RANKING DEFENSE Rushing 183.7 (82nd) Passing 255.4 (93rd) Overall 94th

I don't understand how him coming here as a position coach is effected by his CO- DC efforts. If we judge him by this, then Warren should be fired for his tenure as DC of Air Force.

You don't think he had any impact on those numbers? I might accept him coming here as a position coach but how do we know it's not for DC?

Bringing in people you trust is different when you have been around the block a few times.

Unlike the previous staff, coach is going out to get guys he trust because he knows what he needs to win. I am very happy with the staff he has assembled. I don't need Scott Frost of Coach O on this staff to help me sleep at night.

Riley has my full support because of his experience being a head coach before.

• Fire 2

This is perfect, well said. I don't mind a few hires like this, but so far the entire staff is mostly old OSU guys without a great track record, particularly on defense.

Resources can only do so much. This guy from Cincinnati hasn't been hired, but he exemplifies the type of coaches we're looking at... unimpressive.

He's been at Cincinnati 1 year.

He was the D-line Coach at Memphis in 2000 when they had the #1 run defense in the country. He was also the DC at UCONN from 2006 to 2012. They finished in the top 10 of Total Defense 3 times, top 10 in rush defense all but one season. His 2012 defense was 7th in rush defense, 9th in total defense, and 19th in scoring defense.

• Fire 6

He was the D-line Coach at Memphis in 2000 when they had the #1 run defense in the country. He was also the DC at UCONN from 2006 to 2012. They finished in the top 10 of Total Defense 3 times, top 10 in rush defense all but one season. His 2012 defense was 7th in rush defense, 9th in total defense, and 19th in scoring defense.

Old-School.gif

• Fire 2

This. Looking at his coaching resume and what he did at UCONN looks a hell of a lot more like what I want to see coaching our defense than what we have been seeing around here recently.

I would like to see some people submit a list of "proven and impressive" assistant coaches that Riley could have hired that would be willing to come to Nebraska.

Was this a "serious" inquiry or sarcastic? Just asking….

According to a majority of HB, Nebraska is still a 'Top Notch' job. This has been up for discussion for years. Only the people 'inside" the State or strong ties or love for the program are convinced that Nebraska is an upper echelon destination. The rest of the country , including almost every national media outlet, says Nebraska has dropped and was a distant 3rd when they compared Florida, Michigan, and Nebraska as coaching destinations.

So, if you are being serious ( you think that there is a long list ), then you must agree that MR is passing some great guys up……. if you are being sarcastic, then you obviously are admitting that this ISN'T your old Nebraska anymore.

Not trying to start a riff, just honestly trying to get your stance… or opinion.

• Fire 1

I would like to see some people submit a list of "proven and impressive" assistant coaches that Riley could have hired that would be willing to come to Nebraska.

Ed Orgeron. End of list.

I know people like to throw this name out and I admit he would be exciting and would get after it recruiting wise. But with all that said, why hasn't he landed any other job yet?

• Fire 1

Was this a "serious" inquiry or sarcastic? Just asking….

According to a majority of HB, Nebraska is still a 'Top Notch' job. This has been up for discussion for years. Only the people 'inside" the State or strong ties or love for the program are convinced that Nebraska is an upper echelon destination. The rest of the country , including almost every national media outlet, says Nebraska has dropped and was a distant 3rd when they compared Florida, Michigan, and Nebraska as coaching destinations.

So, if you are being serious ( you think that there is a long list ), then you must agree that MR is passing some great guys up……. if you are being sarcastic, then you obviously are admitting that this ISN'T your old Nebraska anymore.

Not trying to start a riff, just honestly trying to get your stance… or opinion.

BRAVO.

Well stated.

Ed Orgeron. End of list.

I know people like to throw this name out and I admit he would be exciting and would get after it recruiting wise. But with all that said, why hasn't he landed any other job yet?

Because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HThi74D-ygA