Mike Riley's Staff

^ - agree, and you'll find a list just as long of 11-12 win coaches that flopped at their next school. McElwain was a larger risk by a mile IMO. everyone needs to let this one play out. to be honest with you, it isn't his record that worries me but his pro-style tilt. if anything should concern people it's that and the fact we may lack the talent to operate it. i think he'll adjust well, but I don't want another 4 year project to transition an O into something new.

I agree that this is something to watch. However, coaches have been known to change their systems when changing jobs too. Spurrier doesn't run the same offense he ran at Florida for instance. Switzer didn't run the wish bone when he went to coach the Cowboys.

With no OC mentioned yet I have a feeling that Danny Langsdorf might be the guy as it looks like Coughlin era will be over with the NY Giants. That announcement will probably have to wait until the NFL season is over.

I'd have to think there is zero chance this staff goes past the end of regular NFL season (12/28) without an OC named. It'd thin this class out that's for sure.

Figired I'd lay it out here:

OC:

RB:

WR: Brent Brennan

OL: Matt Cavanaugh

DC: Mark Banker

DL:

LB: Mike Bray

DB:

ST: Bruce Read

S&C:

With no OC mentioned yet I have a feeling that Danny Langsdorf might be the guy as it looks like Coughlin era will be over with the NY Giants. That announcement will probably have to wait until the NFL season is over.

Jeff Tedford is no longer with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as well. Solid recruiter and pretty good offensive guy IIRC. Ties to Riley.

OC:

RB:

DL:

DB:

S&C:

I actually think he brought these guys in first because he thinks they are good coaches, AND, he needs help recruiting over the next couple weeks. I think coordinators might have to wait till other teams are done playing.

• Fire 2

When the Bo Pelini era started, I remember Beck as the last coach to join us. That didn't happen until January.

I'm glad that part of the staff has been assembled already, but it might take time to complete the roster. And it should -- they are going to build a staff, after all, not cobble one together in a few days for the sake of making an announcement.

When the Bo Pelini era started, I remember Beck as the last coach to join us. That didn't happen until January.

Bo remaining on staff at LSU had to have impacted a lot of timelines - things that aren't applicable to this scenario.

It's probably not the end of the world if this drags on though, maybe it's even a good thing. I could see Orgeron wanting to slow play things to see how the coaching changes open things up for him as an HC. I'm sure he'd be a candidate for plenty of teams after his success at USC last year. He might not be available to us until late December when things have finally started to work themselves out at places like Michigan, Florida, OSU, etc.

OC:

RB:

DL:

DB:

S&C:

Jeff Tedford is no longer with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as well. Solid recruiter and pretty good offensive guy IIRC. Ties to Riley.

Openly stated yesterday that he wanted the OSU job.

OC:

RB:

DL:

DB:

S&C:

Doesn't necessarily mean he gets the job

Bo remaining on staff at LSU had to have impacted a lot of timelines - things that aren't applicable to this scenario.

It's probably not the end of the world if this drags on though, maybe it's even a good thing. I could see Orgeron wanting to slow play things to see how the coaching changes open things up for him as an HC. I'm sure he'd be a candidate for plenty of teams after his success at USC last year. He might not be available to us until late December when things have finally started to work themselves out at places like Michigan, Florida, OSU, etc.

Back didn't come on as the OC either. Watson was still here.

I'd love to see Orgeron's recruiting chops here, but would worry that he'd leave at about this time next year for a head coaching job, if that's where his heart truly is. Therefore we wouldn't get a full recruiting cycle out of him.

OC:

RB:

DL:

DB:

S&C:

Hope he gets it......... :)

• Fire 1

OC:

RB:

DL:

DB:

S&C:

Hope he gets it......... :)

Tedford hasn't been good since Aaron Rodgers left.