Mike Riley's Staff

"Oregon State Beavers Associate Athletic Director for Football Operations Dan Van De Riet joining Mike Riley's staff at Nebraska"

Via The Oregonian

Good bye Jamrog and your headset

I dont think this is a good move. Jamrog was basically in charge of the walkon program. He was very passionate about it as he was a walkon. He really helped revive it under Bo. I have a feeling this new guy has no idea how important we take the walkon tradition here. Starting to feel like the days of Cally. Smfh.

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC 1h1 hour ago

For the curious, Pelini's assistants were not announced until Dec. 17, which was 15 days after he was hired. http://bit.ly/1wd2f2N #Huskers

Asking since you'd probably know, Mav -- was the reason for Beck being announced in January due to a Kansas bowl game?

If we have more future staff members in that boat it might be a little bit more of a delay in announcing all positions. But that wouldn't be too bad of a thing. The recruiting dead period starts in four days and lasts until January, right? And it's a whole month of recruiting from there to NSD.

I really don't remember the details of who and when. That makes it sound like all the assistants were announced at the same time so I don't know if they'll wait until everyone is hired and do one announcement or if they'll announce as they go.

As long as the new staff is on the recruiting trail - which is sounds like they are - the announcements are just a formality so it's not that big of a deal. It would have been nice for them to be able to be on the road this week but that would have been pretty quick.

Yes, I believe 2007-08 season was when KU got to the Orange Bowl against VT, so Beck could not join the staff until afterwards. And then KU got really stupid and fired the best football coach they have ever had one season after this.

Cripes, would it just be cheaper to buy Oregon State University as a whole than paying off all the contracts of guys they don't want anymore? Sounds like a couple of these guys would have been available in a month AFTER OSU paid off their own contracts to make room for their new staff.. :hmmph

• Fire 1

"Oregon State Beavers Associate Athletic Director for Football Operations Dan Van De Riet joining Mike Riley's staff at Nebraska"

Via The Oregonian

I dont think this is a good move. Jamrog was basically in charge of the walkon program. He was very passionate about it as he was a walkon. He really helped revive it under Bo. I have a feeling this new guy has no idea how important we take the walkon tradition here. Starting to feel like the days of Cally. Smfh.

might as well call the US Army and move the whole damn staff at once and be done!

Via The Oregonian

Riley is very passionate about the walk on program as he felt it was essential at OSU. There is a video where he talks about it somewhere on the board

The walk on thing is one of the many aspects of Nebraska coaches after Solich that makes me want to PUKE.

When Cally got here, he said the walk on tradition was valuable and all of that. Didn't hear much about it, even after 2004, as people wanted to "give him a fair chance" and you didn't hear about it in 2005 or 2006 since people thought we were "going in a good direction." As soon as the SHIP got real in 2007, people said... this failed because Cally didn't respect the walk on program.

Bo came in and said the walk on tradition was great. The more the years went by, the more I heard about how Bo was not respecting the walk on tradition.

Now Riley says the walk on tradition is important. And if he struggles to win nine games.... guess what, a lack of respect for the walk on tradition will be cited.

It would be one thing if people could give actual examples of the disrespect of said tradition, but most people just say it without having looked into it at all.

And that drives me freaking CrAzY

The walk on thing is one of the many aspects of Nebraska coaches after Solich that makes me want to PUKE.

When Cally got here, he said the walk on tradition was valuable and all of that. Didn't hear much about it, even after 2004, as people wanted to "give him a fair chance" and you didn't hear about it in 2005 or 2006 since people thought we were "going in a good direction." As soon as the SHIP got real in 2007, people said... this failed because Cally didn't respect the walk on program.

Bo came in and said the walk on tradition was great. The more the years went by, the more I heard about how Bo was not respecting the walk on tradition.

Now Riley says the walk on tradition is important. And if he struggles to win nine games.... guess what, a lack of respect for the walk on tradition will be cited.

It would be one thing if people could give actual examples of the disrespect of said tradition, but most people just say it without having looked into it at all.

Keep in mind, the kids we use to be able to get to walk on are now willing to take offers from smaller colleges for the free education. I think now a days it is harder to get the "borderline schollie" kids we use to get to willingly walk-on, to still walk-on.

• Fire 1

One of Riley's best quarterbacks and current Washington offensive coordinator Jonathan Smith was a walk on at Oregon St, Mike Hass who has multiple receiving records at Oregon St. and the Pac 12 was a walk on, and Alex Serna won the Groza Award, also a walk on. And those are just three of them, I'm sure Riley has many other examples. So yes he does actually use the Walk-On program

I am extremely interested to see if any coaches remain from the previous staff. The names I have seen thrown around are:

Warren = Not sure why everyone is so high on him. I don't have anything against him but, he has only been here one year. It's pretty hard to gauge how good a coach really is in that short of time. Especially when the specialty of the HC was his position. Not sure how good he is without Bo.

Kaz = I think this could be a very interesting or important coach to consider. I think the Davis Twins are two of the biggest recruits in this class so far. I think it's easier for them to remain committed if Kaz is still here. On top of that, I thought our D line played well this year and some players improved under his coaching.

Brown = I think it all depends on what he really wants to do. He has proven he can coach pretty much any of the positions he has coached before.

I know Brown has the right mindset to be successful. I believe the only chance the other two have of being even considered is if they can prove to Riley that they don't have the "us against the fan base" mentality that Bo instilled throughout the program. If they don't have that, I could see him strongly considering keeping them.

Just can not see any possible way that Mike Riley retains Kaz--I might very well be wrong, but will be shocked if it happens. Those two are just about the very definition of "polar opposites" when it comes to coaching philosophy and how to treat/motivate players.

Callahan says he doesn't think any current staff members have had the discussion with Riley yet, even Warren. Said if Warren was for sure being retained he would be with Riley in Lee/Anderson's living rooms. Said that doesn't mean some won't be retained, just that the process hasn't happened.

I would imagine it would be really awkward if Riley told some staff they were staying on and some were getting fired. Plus the next few weeks are the best job interview ever, he gets to watch them in their element

Callahan says he doesn't think any current staff members have had the discussion with Riley yet, even Warren. Said if Warren was for sure being retained he would be with Riley in Lee/Anderson's living rooms. Said that doesn't mean some won't be retained, just that the process hasn't happened.

I would imagine it would be really awkward if Riley told some staff they were staying on and some were getting fired. Plus the next few weeks are the best job interview ever, he gets to watch them in their element

Good points. I mean he has only been here 5 days and two of them he has been in the state of Colorado, and 1 other he was doing a press conference/media obligations.