You guys need to take a cue from Arizona State fans

Some Nittany Lion fan doesn't like Mike Riley.

Almost every coach, player & journalist who've chimed in on this hire think it's great.

So much for that.

Everyone said Ty Willingham was a great hire because he was such a nice guy too.

We beat Oregon State 45-14 a few years ago. If you think the B1G teams are scared of playing him, then you're kidding yourself.

And this year you lost to Northwestern and Illinois...

We are making the effort to become much better. Nebraska is not making the effort to become better with this hire.

• Fire 1

Some reactions to the hire:

George Schroeder @GeorgeSchroeder ·

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning but that is a GREAT hire.

Scott Shanle ‏@scottshanle

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NUs prospects.

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

Zach Hannon ‏@_HannonZach72

I stand behind you @Coach_Riley ! I love Coach Bo and all my coaches, now it's a new era. I'm a husker through and through. #GBR

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

"@CFBONFOX: NEWS: #Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley to replace Bo Pelini>>Good for Riley, one of the nicest guys I ever met in NFL

Mark McMillian ‏@MarkMcMillian29

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

Rich Kaipust ‏@RKaipustOWH

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Brian Christopherson ‏@HuskerExtraBC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

Jay Foreman ‏@foreman5655

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Excited to meet and work with @Coach_Riley can't wait to begin the next chapter of Husker Football. GBR!

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

John Bishop ‏@JohnBishop71

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

B. Reilly ‏@brandonreilly01

Idk why everyone's being so negative, give the guy a chance. I mean he has a solid last name that should count for something. Let's get it!

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

That's just a few of the tweets that have rolled across my screen since the announcement. Those are local & national media, current & former Husker players, and various guys around the country who know Riley.

There are dozens, if not hundreds more.

So let's take a cue from current Husker Brandon Reilly and give the guy a chance before going batsh#t insane over this hire.

All I see is "he's such a nice guy" and "he's such a great guy"

If that's what you want, then congrats because you have a Ty Willingham and Brady Hoke redux

• Fire 2

I was thinking the other day how the Michigan and Nebraska openings and how they are filled could have a huge impact as far as improving the Big 10's perception by injecting life into their respective programs thereby positively affecting the conference image as a whole at the same time.

Again I ask do you seem teams like Bama, FSU or any top 10 team making a hire like this?

Exactly this. This hire is pretty much ensuring embarrassing results for the conference.

Edited, we're not going to be bringing up this crap again-BRI

If this is your attitude then you guys deserve the losing records you're about to get.

Edited by BIGREDIOWAN
See changes in quote box
  • Fire 1

I was thinking the other day how the Michigan and Nebraska openings and how they are filled could have a huge impact as far as improving the Big 10's perception by injecting life into their respective programs thereby positively affecting the conference image as a whole at the same time. So much for that thought Nebraska.

Again I ask do you seem teams like Bama, FSU or any top 10 team making a hire like this?

Auburn hired Chisik after a horrible record at ISU didnt they? Then he won an NC. Was Malzhan a big hire? I dont remember on him

Malzahn was the OC at Auburn when they won the NC. He left right after that and they progressively got much worse. He gets hired as head coach and they immediately became much better.

So, what you are saying is that coordinators are just as important if not more important than the head coach? Why don't you just sit back and relax for a while until the staff is announced.

I was thinking the other day how the Michigan and Nebraska openings and how they are filled could have a huge impact as far as improving the Big 10's perception by injecting life into their respective programs thereby positively affecting the conference image as a whole at the same time. So much for that thought Nebraska.

Auburn hired Chisik after a horrible record at ISU didnt they? Then he won an NC. Was Malzhan a big hire? I dont remember on him

They won that NC because of Malzhan and Cam Newton, which became painfully obvious as soon as both of them left.

• Fire 1

Malzahn was the OC at Auburn when they won the NC. He left right after that and they progressively got much worse. He gets hired as head coach and they immediately became much better.
So, what you are saying is that coordinators are just as important if not more important than the head coach? Why don't you just sit back and relax for a while until the staff is announced.

Hasn't it been said he's probably bringing his awful DC?

Some reactions to the hire:

George Schroeder @GeorgeSchroeder ·

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning — but that is a GREAT hire.

Scott Shanle @scottshanle

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Dan Hoppen @danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NU’s prospects.

Mike Farrell @rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

Zach Hannon @_HannonZach72

I stand behind you @Coach_Riley ! I love Coach Bo and all my coaches, now it's a new era. I'm a husker through and through. #GBR

Jay Glazer @JayGlazer

"@CFBONFOX: NEWS: #Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley to replace Bo Pelini>>Good for Riley, one of the nicest guys I ever met in NFL

Mark McMillian @MarkMcMillian29

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

Rich Kaipust @RKaipustOWH

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Brian Christopherson @HuskerExtraBC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

Jay Foreman @foreman5655

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Greg Sharpe @SharpeGreg

Excited to meet and work with @Coach_Riley can't wait to begin the next chapter of Husker Football. GBR!

Brock Huard @BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

John Bishop @JohnBishop71

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

B. Reilly @brandonreilly01

Idk why everyone's being so negative, give the guy a chance. I mean he has a solid last name that should count for something. Let's get it!

Jon Nyatawa @JonNyatawa

“He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

That's just a few of the tweets that have rolled across my screen since the announcement. Those are local & national media, current & former Husker players, and various guys around the country who know Riley.

There are dozens, if not hundreds more.

So let's take a cue from current Husker Brandon Reilly and give the guy a chance before going batsh#t insane over this hire.

Thanks Knapp - helps wt the confidence level. Us fans look mostly at records these others told a bigger story. I like the quotes about parents trusting their kids wt this coach - I think Bo was developing a diff reputation. I hope to see JS at QB next year as well.

Hasn't it been said he's probably bringing his awful DC?

You mean the same DC that held Wisconsin to 35 rushing yards while our defensive guru allowed the same exact team over 500 rushing yards?

so what they beat arizona state?? the OP is right! it's easy for a sh**ty school like oregon state to win a few big games because nobody's worried about you till monday morning the week of... But teams like Nebraska have almost every team they're playing that year preparing for them in the offseason, bye weeks, competing coaches up all night thinking beat Nebraska and most of them have a nothing to lose mentality... basically they circle us on the first day of spring practice, but don't worry with this hire.. that will soon be a distant memory!

so what they beat arizona state?? the OP is right! it's easy for a sh**ty school like oregon state to win a few big games because nobody's worried about you till monday morning the week of... But teams like Nebraska have almost every team they're playing that year preparing for them in the offseason, bye weeks, competing coaches up all night thinking beat Nebraska and most of them have a nothing to lose mentality... basically they circle us on the first day of spring practice, but don't worry with this hire.. that will soon be a distant memory!

Uh. If it's so easy, why don't unranked crappy schools rattle off upset wins all the time? Oregon State did it a bit too consistently to be considered a fluke... Little bit more to that soup than just broth if ya get what I'm sayin'. 8 top 25 wins in the past 8 years? They were known as giant killers for a reason.

• Fire 1